Re: [dogme] Re: Assessment for learning

  • Jkmoliver@aol.com
    Message 1 of 22 , Jul 1, 2008
      In one way it's jargon, but in another way I think to make the distinction
      between assessment for learning and assessment of learning can be useful. My
      way of looking at it is to view AfL as a 'bottom up' approach - learner
      centred - whereas the assessment of learning could be seen as a 'top down'
      approach.

      We still have Initial, Formative & Summative assessment but Afl comes
      largely under the Formative umbrella really (although it should be in all) for the
      purposes of teacher training.

      Take a look at the teachers tv website which is very informative.

      It's true that some cheating goes on but I don't think it's worth it as
      no-one really gains in the end and I, for one, would be letting myself down and
      would not feel as if I had achieved anything as a teacher.

      'Assessment for Learning - putting it into practice' by Paul Black might
      also interest you.

      Kathy

    • alastairlambert@blueyonder.co.uk
      Message 2 of 22 , Jul 1, 2008
        > Kathy,
        I will follow up the tips. It's an endless game of whack-a-mole with all
        the new jargon, fresh demands on teachers and the great changes in teacher
        training.
        Thanks,
        Alastair