RE: [dogme] What Grammar?

  • Luke Meddings
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 1, 2006
      Sounds like kinky grammar to me. But probably a past infinitive and thus
      an adjectival use? Like burnt toast - the result of an action.

      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 1, 2006
        Diarmuid Fogarty wrote:
        > I know that this isn't what most people expect from this list, but...
        >
        > In the sentence, "She's got 'Guilty' written all over her," what
        > grammar explains "written" - causative or passive?
        >
        > Diarmuid

        actually, I remember having this sort of problem teaching Spanish
        students who were grappling with the form of (I called it passive, but
        only to give it a name so we could get on with the lesson) in the
        structure of "to have something done" and the more informal and
        immediate "to get something done", and the common use of "get something
        done" to mean - was a victim of some action. - so that the word "guilty"
        in your sentence was the "something" that got done "written".
        I taught it as a form of passive. As in "He got mugged yesterday." or
        "They got their passports stolen" - a negative connotation of the
        more common "I had my hair cut".

        This came up in relation to a Spanish structure withe the use of "se" in
        passives in Spanish.
        Hope that helps.

        Halima