17803Re: Using a Dogme lesson with a difficult General Director

  • philawade
    Jul 13 8:55 AM
      Hi Mel,

      Sounds like every single one of my BE students. The CELTA and non-CELTA teachers seem to just do worksheets and typical TEFL lessons which don't work. Some directors are nice and just follow and take it as a 2 hour break. Others stop going and disappear. A few complain.

      The problem is that the students needs were probably never expressed or they signed up for a generic course or there was some heavy sales involved. Whatever, it is your problem now.

      This is what I do and it works for me:

      1) Have a VERY detailed discussion about their needs, then give them a level assessment and suggestions on what to work on to achieve their goals. If they are language-based, easy. If they are business skills, easy too.

      2) Discuss and agree on 5 learning goals and plan out 10 lesson topics.

      3) Find out what they want to do in class, how and if they have any time before or after for revision, probably not.

      There you go.

      For materials, forget books as these are senior staff. So, have a look at Emmerson's Management Lessons. I use it with senior staff and it is great. Also try Newsmart as they have video lessons and articles.

      As for Dogme, it doesn't hurt preparing a few activities before but go with whatever sparks their interest and develop speaking and writing activities naturally. Also, get to know them, build a rapport and ask about their company. Be prepared to do whatever they need and when. For instance, if he arrives at 9 and says "I have a videoconference at 12. Can you help me prepare?".

      I really find this interesting and it is the kind of teaching that pushes you to develop and is what 'tailored/bespoke' lessons really should be,in my opinion.

      Hope this helps.

      Phil
    • Show all 18 messages in this topic