17802Re: [dogme] Using a Dogme lesson with a difficult General Director

    Jul 12, 2014
      An interesting challenge!

      Fairly recently I had a senior professor, Pedagogy, who felt very embrassed at his lack of English, He  travelled abroad a lot to conferences,  He arrived with a notebook, sharpened pencils, an empty vocabulary book and a smallish dictionary. He was a bit taken aback when I said he might find he didn't need to bother to bring those. I was planning, with his permission, to record our lessons andI suggested he should play the tapes and others I would give him to  in his Mercedes on long journeys if he found time to work on his English outsside our face-to-face hours.

      By luck,  I found a recent, extremely well written and stimulating article on a topic that fascinated him and he was eager to work on understanding this in some detail - and then expound on comments and extension to the proposed hypothesis.

      I made notes of all the vocabulary items he might have noted if he had remembered to do so and sent them immediately after the lesson by email. Within a couple of weeks he turned up with no notebook but eager to talk about something I had sent him or a point to add about what we had been talking about previously.

      If I had your learner I think I would suggest to him that given his long managememnt experience he was the best person to suggest the appropriate  way for him to work to achieve the results he was aiming for.I'm not suggesting he will necessarily come up with the solution to your problem, but his formulation of what he thinks he wants might help you to see what techniques and approaches might satisfy him.

      ?  I don't know if this comment is of any help, but good luck!

      Dennis

      On 12 July 2014 18:54, mel.morva@... [dogme] <dogme@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

      Greetings,

      I am turning to you with a request for help. I am teaching a rather strong-willed General Director on a one-on-one lesson. He refuses to work with "traditional" material based on course books, grammar exercises, "too long" reading/listening, basically anything that other students are happy to use. He takes some notes that he never revises and he hates revising with me as he finds it embarrassing.

      He's 50, has been in top management all his life and loves his own authority. He's got some pretty badly fossilized language habits which he hates to have corrected/worked on. No material I brought in had much success and I am becoming desperate : (

      I've figured he'd be a great object for Dogme classes, but given his pickiness, I am at a loss about how to proceed now after so many vain attempts.

      Would anyone be able to give me some hints?

      Thanks a million!

      Mel.

      *

      Dennis aka Osna (Newson), M.A. (Cantab), PDESL (Leeds)
      Self-employed (unpaid)
      Formerly (now retired): University of Osnabrueck, Germany
      Joint Coordinator  IATEFL YLTSIG with Kalyan Chattopadhay
      Committee member IATEFL GISIG
      Committee member IATEFL Associate ELTA-OWL(Germany)
      Moderator old-fashioned IATEFL YLTSIG email discussion list
      Dogme
      Second Life/EduNation: Osnacantab Nesterov
      Webhead
      learningwithcomputers
      ELTON 2005 ELTeCS member innovation team winner
      Personal website: www.dennisnewson.de