17798Re: [dogme] Re: Dogme Business English ebook

    Jul 7, 2014
      I'm sure we all know that in the UK, for example, there are figures showing that nervous break-downs are higher in the teaching profession are than in almost any other profession. Can anyone share such statistics?

      Dennis

      On 7 July 2014 09:19, philawade@... [dogme] <dogme@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

      Yes, I know. I was doing about 10 hours teaching in 3 different places last year. It was exhausting but you have to do what you get offered as if you turn it down, you may lose it forever.

      When I started out, I did about 5-6 hours a day on average. The rest was planning. That went up later and eventually planning time was a luxury so was lunch.

      I completely understand why some teachers sit atheir desks, give handouts and let them get on with it. Well, it is easy and you can do 8 hours like that. When I was 22, I could teach lots and run round the class. I am a bit older now but I still don't like sitting down for 2 hours. If you look at sickness and exhaustion, it makes sense to do less and stay well. this isn't possible though and is why I know plenty of teachers on sick leave and who have been for years.

      *

      Dennis aka Osna (Newson)
      Joint Coordinator  IATEFL YLTSIG with Kalyan Chattopadhay
      Committee member IATEFL GISIG
      Committee member IATEFL Associate ELTA-OWL(Germany)
      Moderator old-fashioned YLTSIG email discussion list

      Dogme
      Second Life/EduNation: Osnacantab Nesterov
      Webhead
      learningwithcomputers
      ELTON 2005 ELTeCS member innovation team winner