17792Re: [dogme] Re: Dogme Business English ebook

    Jul 4, 2014
      Phil, since I happen to be setting up an old-fashioned email discussion event for YLTSIG next week on motivation - now there's a favourite word in our profession "event" - your wonder about how important  the trappings are, that you have never or rarely heard comments about a good lesson - this caused me to reflect that your business English experience is interestingly different from my classroom/lecture theatre, seminar room experiences.

      I guess in state school, University EFL settings comments about the lessons are precisely what one gets all the times. And, of course, there aren't usally any extras. So often it is a case of "Bring your own chalk" or "You must let them use your IPad, we haven't got any."

      On 4 July 2014 13:41, philawade@... [dogme] <dogme@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

      We joke but I did once work in a corporate school that had a lounge and free drinks on day one and the last. Also, almost nightly entertaining. I never went but I think it was mainly theatre, drinks and maybe more drinks.

      I do wonder how important all those trimmings are. I see lots of attention being put on these benefits like a nice brochure, classroom, events etc but much less on the teachers and classes. If you add on the exam focus, there isn't much energy left or interest in lessons and learning.

      I very rarely hear people say "that was a great lesson" or "he's a brilliant teacher" or "I really learn a lot".

      For about 5 years, I've wanted to do an experimental class on Wednesdays of Fridays for free. The original idea was to invite any students for a free class i.e. like the CELTA but let teachers try out new things. One place asked about doing it with local staff as the students but nobody signed up.

      In this situation, people would really vote with their feet. Whether they stay because they have 'fun' or because they learn is the real question I am interested in I guess.

      Anyhow, I plan to try it next term if feasible at lunch. I think Luke Meddings did something similar years ago when he was experimenting with Dogme.

      *

      Dennis aka Osna (Newson)
      Joint Coordinator  IATEFL YLTSIG with Kalyan Chattopadhay
      Committee member IATEFL GISIG
      Committee member IATEFL Associate ELTA-OWL(Germany)
      Moderator old-fashioned YLTSIG email discussion list

      Dogme
      Second Life/EduNation: Osnacantab Nesterov
      Webhead
      learningwithcomputers
      ELTON 2005 ELTeCS member innovation team winner