17647Re: [dogme] Back in the classroom

    Jan 15, 2014
      Bruno - I had not thought of the double meaning of "subjects" in the sentence you graciously quote. I wish I had intended that - but perhaps it was just genius emerging unsummoned.

      :-)ennis

      --
      *

      Dennis Newson
      Formerly : University of Osnabrueck, GERMANY

      Committee member : IATEFL YLTSIG

      Network Coordinator  IATEFL:YLTSIG Teens (T)

      Committee Member : IATEFL GISIG: Social  networking

      Founder: Osna Group Second Life

      Initiator:  MCC - Machinima Creative Club  Second Life

      Winner British Council ELT 05 Team Innovation Award

      Personal homepage

       Skype: Osnacantab
      Second Life: Osnacantab Nesterov

      On 15 January 2014 13:38, Bruno Leys <bruno.leys@...> wrote:

      What a wonderful phrase you use there Dennis:
      "if you want to use the word "teach" always remember you teach people, not subjects"
      I'm not sure if the ambiguity in the word “subjects" was intended; meaning that our students could be considered as our subjects, the ones we as teachers dominate.
      So then the quote also means that we teach people, equals who are on the road. And with our experience we can help them find their way forward, respecting their responsibilities, interests and needs. Pretty Dogme, I'd say.

      And, Diarmuid... sounds like a terrible textbook you're working with. I'm pretty sure not all course books are that awful, but with any coursebook, it's students and teacher who should decide on what is covered, manipulated, transformed and what is entirely skipped. However much I love books (I mean books in general); books cannot decide what is appropriate in the here and now of the classroom.

      Bruno

      Bruno Leys
      English and TEFL
      Vives - teacher training department Bruges, Belgium
      http://blog.associatie.kuleuven.be/brunoleys/
      @BrunoLeys
      Tel. +32 50 30 51 00 / 059 56 90 00 mobile phone: +32 (0)477/856706
      bruno.leys@...
      Katholieke Hogeschool VIVES |
      Campus Xaverianenstraat 10  B-8200 Campus Brugge  http://www.vives.be/
      cid:85EFD998-23CF-4D36-A044-A45D25C18CE0