17641Re: [dogme] RE: Rob (Dogme) asks a question

  • M C Johnstone
    Dec 21, 2013
      Hi Alan,

      Yes. I'm aware of the learning theories of Piaget and Vygotsky. Both were examining learning in an institutional setting and it would have been impossible for either to plan a controlled experiment around something that could not be measured.

      I was thinking more generally about what learning is, what education is, and how an understanding of both can inform what we - as instructors - do and how we do it. Frankly, I doubt that many teachers could give you a succinct account of either learning or education. This could be because teaching is are generally seen as skill or a trade, teachers are like technicians or tradespeople. In EFL you can "learn it" in a month. Less time than it takes to learn to drive.

      Mark

      On Sun, Dec 22, 2013, at 01:42 AM, manxman@... wrote:

      Hi Mark

      Interesting point. To make a parallel with Quantum Physics, the action of measuring (i.e. testing) has an effect on the subject and hence uncertainty arises (Heisenberg).

      Politicians and Education Authorities like Piagetian ideas. i.e. Piaget says a learner proceeds along a scale of learning either slowly or quickly building on his/her knowledge in steps. This fits traditional classroom practice well of course.

      Russian psychologist Lev Vygotsky proposed that learning is multi-dimensional, socialy networked and as such can not be tested or measured with scale values. His social 'Zone of Proximal Development' would fit the 'dogme' effect very well indeed. If you're going to measure learning though, you'd need to align the scale to suit the learner first and that would be very individual in nature!

      A good example of Vygotskian learning is the kid who failed miserably at maths at school but became the quickest and most accurate score keeper with his pub darts team! Such stories are quite common.

      Of course, I'm sure you know all about Vygotsky. Out of interest I've revamped and simplified my S4L language software site - http://stories4learning.com  It draws heavily on Vygotskian ideas of learning.

      Regards

      Alan

      --
      mcjsa@...