17631Re: [dogme] unplug your TV

    Dec 12, 2013
      Robin,

      Just in time to wish you - no, old superstition - to say: "Break a leg."
      (Superstitious British actors at least believe it is bad luck to wish someone good luck - instead, the broken leg injunction.)

      ---

      Also, I wear a couple of hats and as a committee member of an IATEFL special interest group - I'd be very interested in recruiting you to do an online interview, chat, talk - whatever - staged by the SIG but open to all and sundry.

      If you are interested, could you write to me offlist at:

      *

      Dennis Newson
      Formerly : University of Osnabrueck, GERMANY

      Committee member : IATEFL YLTSIG

      Network Coordinator  IATEFL:YLTSIG Teens (T)

      Committee Member : IATEFL GISIG: Social  networking

      Founder: Osna Group Second Life

      Initiator:  MCC - Machinima Creative Club  Second Life

      Winner British Council ELT 05 Team Innovation Award

      Personal homepage

       Skype: Osnacantab
      Second Life: Osnacantab Nesterov

      On 12 December 2013 09:15, Luke Meddings <lukemeddings@...> wrote:

      Hi Robin

      I'm more used to summarising it in a teacher training context, where I find

      'lessons based on the lives and language of the learners'

      is a helpful intro

      It's relevant to your context too because building lessons around learner lives and language is - like the immigrant experience - intimately linked both to immediate need and deeper issues of identity and self-expression

      I guess the way to sell dogme is.. word of mouth? ;)

      And what Scott said - good luck!

      Luke

      On Wednesday, 11 December 2013, wrote:

      Hi everybody,
      I'm afraid I'm a newbie here and have only had a short look around, although I have of course read Teaching Unplugged, and scores of posts on various blogs. I have been trying to put Dogme principles into practice in my teaching (in the north of Spain) for the past year or so (while doing my Diploma), and it's come to the point where I am running something like a little one-man Dogme school in my flat and the local community centre. Actually, it's not so much a Dogme school, as a timetableful of classes where the students have told me they prefer this way of working to any other.

      A crew from the regional TV is going to be following me around on Friday 13th(!) for a programme about immigrants and integration. Amongst other things, they're going to come to one of my classes. Of course, this is why I agreed to participate: so I could publicise my work and hopefully entice enough additional students to make this all a bit more viable financially.

      I thought I'd take this opportunity to ask if anyone had had experience trying to "sell" the ideas of Dogme to the public at large through the media? Seems to me whatever I say will inevitably be sliced and diced into pedagogical Mcsoundbites... perhaps I could simply ask the students a few questions such as, "What are the advantages/disadvantages of working with conversation rather than materials?", and interact with them on the topic instead of trusting the camera crew to interview me at any length about the theory/benefits of unplugged learning...

      ...?

      --
      . . . . .

      Luke Meddings