Agressive to strangers men and things

  • skelcher_family
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 2 10:21 AM
      We have a pyranese/retirever mix 7month old puppy. Her name is
      Holiday. Holiday is wonderfull withour immediate family(those of us
      living in our home), however she gets agressive (growling barking
      bearing teeth charging) when anyone comes into our home or is outside
      our home. Unfortunatly We live in a Duplex community and our Land
      Lord has advised us that if she does not stop being agressive and
      intimidating towards the other tenants out of fear she will bite
      someone-Holiday will have to be placed in a shelter! She has snapped
      at my younger couisin before and at my father in law and ex-husband.
      the older she is getting the more teritorial she becomes! We are not
      sure what to do especially since I am brining home my Baby African
      Grey soon! My fiance` promised me that she would be well trained when
      Joey comes home. Yet I am fearfull that something could happen. I
      don't want to give Holiday up and private obediance training is very
      expensive around here and it is not popular anyway. I am not sure
      what to do. I love our dog and she is part of our family! I can't
      even stand the thought of giving her up! I need some advice on what
      to do! I am lost and very unhappy and stressed out about this
      situation.
    • www.mypethaven.com
      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 2 6:43 PM
        Hi there :) I found a site dealing with aggression in dogs:

        http://dogobedienceadvice.com/dog_aggression/?b=G15

        I hope it helps?

        Dawn

        --- In mypethaven@yahoogroups.com, "skelcher_family"

      • www.mypethaven.com
        Message 3 of 4 , Jun 2 6:45 PM
          Here's another site that's free information:

          http://www.canismajor.com/dog/aggres1.html

          :) Dawn
          My Pet Haven
          http://www.mypethaven.com

        • bimbo51@aol.com
          Message 4 of 4 , Jun 2 8:26 PM
            Hi there!!

            I am having the same problem with my yorkie. He is a 3 year old male. He is great with family.. but literally "goes nuts" when people come into the house. He barks excessively at children and adults! I will take any tips!

            I do know that when he does bark... a trainer told me NOT TO SAY HIS NAME WHEN SCOLDING HIM! For example... he is barking and I say " SPARKY NO BARKING. BAD." He can learn to associate his name with being scolded or in trouble... therefore if you just call him to eat... to play.. for any reason he immediately says NO WAY!

            Quick Sharp AAAPPP or a command such as LAY DOWN in a stern non-yelling voice has seemed to help me (but I just want him not to bark! lol)

            Hope this helps!