A Dog's Prayer

  • letsplay_guitars
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 2, 2008

      powered by: UGotBling.com

      Treat me kindly , my beloved master,
      for no heart in all the world is more
      grateful for kindness than the loving
      heart of me.

      Do not break my spirit with a stick,
      for although I should lick your hand between blows, your patience and
      understanding will more quickly teach
      me the things you would have be do.

      Speak to me often, for your voice is
      world's sweetest music, as you must know
      by the fierce wagging of my tail when your
      footstep falls upon my waiting ear.

      When it is cold and wet, please take me
      inside, for I am now a domesticated animal,
      no longer used to bitter elements.
      And I ask no greater glory than the
      privilege of sitting at your feet beside
      the hearth. Though had you no home,
      I would rather follow you through ice and
      snow than rest upon the softest pillow in
      the warmest home in the land, for you are
      my god and I am your devoted worshipper.

      Keep my pan filled with fresh water,
      for although I should not reproach you
      were it dry, I cannot tell you when I
      suffer thirst. Feed me clean food so
      that I may stay well to romp and play
      and do your bidding, to walk by your
      side, and stand ready willing and able
      to protect you with my life should your
      life be in danger.

      And beloved master, should the Great Master
      see fit to deprive me of my health or sight,
      do not turn me away from you. Rather,
      hold me gently in your arms as skilled hands
      grant me the merciful boon of eternal rest...
      and I will leave you knowing with the last
      breath I draw, my fate was every safest
      in your hands.

      --- Beth Norman Harris ---