Re: [DOCUWALLAHS2] Re: where to find indian documentaries online

  • Stalin K
    Message 1 of 16 , Feb 1, 2010
      Re: [DOCUWALLAHS2] Re: where to find indian documentaries online
      Dear Fathima,

      Glad to know that you are researching Indian documentaries. I am sure a lot of filmmakers will write back on this list with details of the films they have made. This list carries announcements of film screenings, festivals etc and that will be a good way for you to know about new films and also to get in touch with them. I suggest you subscribe to this e-group.

      If you are looking for specific films or films by specific film makers, your search will be far easier. You may contact Amar Kanwar at amarkanwar@.... Some of the other groups and people you can contact for info on Indian docus:

      Delhi Film Archive [DFA] <delhifilmarchive@...>
      Magic Lantern Foundation, New Delhi <info@...>
      Pedestrian Pictures, Bangalore <pedepics@...>
      Amudhan R.P., Madurai <amudhanrp@...>
      Third Eye, Thrissur, C Saratchandran:
      sarat.thirdeye@...

      I am pasting below brief synopsis of three of the 14 odd films I have made. Let me know if any of these interest you.

      All the best.

      In harmony,
      Stalin K.

       www.videovolunteers.org
      -----------
      INDIA UNTOUCHED- Stories of a People Apart
      108 minutes. 2007. Hindi, Bhojpuri, Gujarati, Punjabi, Tamil, Telugu, Malayalm with English sub-titles
      “India Untouched” will make it impossible for anyone in India to deny that Untouchability is still practiced today. The film is perhaps the most comprehensive look at caste oppression ever undertaken on film.  Director Stalin K. spent four years traveling the length and breadth of the country to bear witness to the continued exclusion of Dalits, who bear the weight of a 4000 year-old religious system.   From the campus of JNU, to medieval villages just outside our metropolises, this film exposes Untouchability in eight states and across four religions. The film’s canvas is stretches from Manu to matrimonial columns.  In an age where the media projects only one image of a Rising India and urges the public to dismantle the reservation system, this film reminds us how far we are from being an equal society.

      Awards:
      Silver Dhow, Zanzibar International Film Festival, July 2008
      Golden Conch, Best Documentary, Mumbai International Film Festival, February 2008
      Best Film of the Festival, Mumbai International Film Festival, February 2008
      Best Documentary, Mahindra IAAC Film Festival, New York, November 2007
      Best Film, One Billion Eyes Film Festival, Chennai, India, August 2007

      Gujarat-A Work In Progress
      35 minutes. English. 2002

      Since the 5th day of the genocidal carnage in Gujarat we have extensively documented hundreds of witness account of the attack in Ahmedabad. This film is a work in progress and was put together to be presented to the National Human Rights Commission as a video report when it first visited the state to enquire into the carnage on 20th March 2002. The film exposes the modus operandi of the attack

      Lesser Humans
      59 minutes. Gujarati with English. 1998

      50 years of Independence have not changed the lives of the Bhangis in Gujarat, who even today continue the profession prescribed to them by the caste system -- manually disposing human excreta. This film investigates the factors responsible for the continuance of this often banned inhuman practice.
      ·      Excellence Award, Earth Vision Film Festival, Tokyo, 1999
      ·      Best Film, New Delhi Video Festival, 1999
      ·      Silver Conch, 5th Mumbai International Film Festival, 1998
      ·      Special Mention, Amnesty International Film Festival, Amsterdam, 1998

    • vijaya mulay
      Message 2 of 16 , Feb 1, 2010
        Dear Frederick
        Such a data base exists. Please contact Ms. Gargi Sen of Magic Lantern foundation whose e-mail ID is given above.
        Akka

        On 2/2/10, Frederick Noronha <fredericknoronha@...> wrote:

        Dear Fathima, Copying your mail to the Docuwallahs2 network, which I
        would invite you to join. It's at
        [http://groups.yahoo.com/group/docuwallahs2] I do not think most
        documentary films are shared online, mainly because either bandwidth
        is still costly to access here or because documentary film-makers are
        still grappling with questions of how they could build a revenue model
        for their work.

        My blog unfortunately hasn't been updated regularly, and I would have
        been happy if it could have been converted into a group-blog on
        documentary film.

        It is possible to get in touch with documentary film-makers and buy
        fairly-priced copies of their work. But you're right -- maybe there is
        the need for a centralised database, that tells us (i) who has created
        what film (ii) where it is available (iii) on what terms.

        Best wishes, FN

        --
        Frederick Noronha

        Columnist :: journalism :: editing :: alt.publishing :: photography :: blogging

        Landline :: +91-832-2409490
        Mobile :: +91-9822122436
        784 Saligao 403511 Goa India

        Goa,1556 :: http://goa1556.goa-india.org
        Photos :: http://photosfromgoa.notlong.com

        Forthcoming from Goa,1556:
        http://tiny.cc/peppercorns

        Frederick Noronha fn@...
        +91-832-2409490 +91-9822122436
        784 Sonarbhat Nr Lourdes Convent Saligao 403511 Bardez Goa

        I Twitter. Do you? http://twitter.com/fn

      • fatima n
        Message 3 of 16 , Feb 2, 2010
          Dear Frederick,

          Thanks a lot for the help.
          Yes, I think it will be great if more documentaries were available
          online in a centralized place on the lines of vikalp.
          For some strange reason, I get an error message when I try to
          register with Vikalp

          Yes, magic lantern is a great place.
          But, at times you would like to have an idea about the film
          before buying it.Mostly in India film screenings do this job
          and you can decide to buy a film which you really love.
          It will be great if at least trailers or parts of the film are online.
          May be charging one dollar for watching a film online will also be great.

          And, I was also looking for academic writing and books on Indian
          documentary. Google books some how doesn't yield much result.
          It will be really great if any one can send any links.

          Thanks a lot

          with regards,
          Fathima

          --
          Frederick Noronha

          Columnist :: journalism :: editing :: alt.publishing :: photography :: blogging

          Landline :: +91-832-2409490
          Mobile :: +91-9822122436
          784 Saligao 403511 Goa India

          Goa,1556 :: http://goa1556.goa-india.org
          Photos :: http://photosfromgoa.notlong.com

          Forthcoming from Goa,1556:
          http://tiny.cc/peppercorns

          Frederick Noronha fn@...
          +91-832-2409490 +91-9822122436
          784 Sonarbhat Nr Lourdes Convent Saligao 403511 Bardez Goa

          I Twitter. Do you? http://twitter.com/fn

        • Alok Kapur
          Message 4 of 16 , Feb 2, 2010
            You can try www.cultureunplugged.com... they specialize in distributing docs online.

            Glad to know that you are researching Indian documentaries. I am sure a lot of filmmakers will write back on this list with details of the films they have made. This list carries announcements of film screenings, festivals etc and that will be a good way for you to know about new films and also to get in touch with them. I suggest you subscribe to this e-group.

            If you are looking for specific films or films by specific film makers, your search will be far easier. You may contact Amar Kanwar at amarkanwar@gmail. com. Some of the other groups and people you can contact for info on Indian docus:

            Delhi Film Archive [DFA] <delhifilmarchive@ gmail.com>
            Magic Lantern Foundation, New Delhi <info@magiclanternfo undation. org>
            Pedestrian Pictures, Bangalore <pedepics@gmail. com>
            Amudhan R.P., Madurai <amudhanrp@rediffmai l.com>
            Third Eye, Thrissur, C Saratchandran:
            sarat.thirdeye@ gmail.com

[...]

          • Saameer Mody
            Message 5 of 16 , Feb 2, 2010
              www.1takemedia.com provides a platform for showcasing indian short films and documentaries. You can also see these on www.youtube.com/1takemedia

              Regards,

              Saameer Mody
              +91 9867171631

              www.1takemedia.com
              Portal for the Film & TV Industry.
              1664, Dadabhai Niwas, Building No. 42,
              D. N. Nagar, Andheri (W), Mumbai 400053.
              Tel: +91 - 22- 26249185.

              The information in this transmittal (including attachments, if any) may be confidential and may contain proprietary or legally privileged information. It is intended only for the recipient(s) listed above. Any review, use, disclosure, distribution or copying of this transmittal is prohibited except by or on behalf of the intended recipient. If you have received this transmittal in error, please notify immediately by reply email and promptly destroy all copies of the transmittal. Thank you for your co-operation.

              From: Alok Kapur <alokapur@...>
              Date: Tue, 2 Feb 2010 20:27:36 +0530 (IST)
              To: <docuwallahs2@yahoogroups.com>

              Message 6 of 16 , Feb 2, 2010
                Just sharing what Akka says:

                On 2 February 2010 12:40, vijaya mulay <vijaya.mulay@...> wrote:
                Dear Frederick
                Such a data base exists. Please contact Ms. Gargi Sen of Magic Lantern foundation whose e-mail ID is given above.
                Akka

                On 2/2/10, Frederick Noronha <fredericknoronha@...> wrote:

                Dear Fathima, Copying your mail to the Docuwallahs2 network, which I
                would invite you to join. It's at
                [http://groups.yahoo.com/group/docuwallahs2] I do not think most
                documentary films are shared online, mainly because either bandwidth
                is still costly to access here or because documentary film-makers are
                still grappling with questions of how they could build a revenue model
                for their work.

                My blog unfortunately hasn't been updated regularly, and I would have
                been happy if it could have been converted into a group-blog on
                documentary film.

                It is possible to get in touch with documentary film-makers and buy
                fairly-priced copies of their work. But you're right -- maybe there is
                the need for a centralised database, that tells us (i) who has created
                what film (ii) where it is available (iii) on what terms.

                Best wishes, FN

                On 1 February 2010 17:43, fatima n <fatima.n82@...> wrote:
                > Hi,
                >
                > I am Fathima and currently I am doing a postgraduate course in
                > Documentary in London. I was planning to work on Indian documentaries,
                > but it is very difficult to get access to Indian documentaries here.
                > While sifting through internet, I came across your blog which was very
                > helpful.
                >
                > Could you please tell me if I can watch Indian documentaries online?I
                > went to Vikalp but, there was some access problems. Unesco media
                > platform also had some films. I am looking for films of Amar Kanwar
                > and also for the documentary 'Eyes of Stone'.
                >
                > Thanks a lot.
                >
                > with regards,
                >
                > Fathima Nizaruddin

              • fatima n
                Message 7 of 16 , Feb 2, 2010

                  Thanks a lot Alok, Stalin and Sameer,

                  The links are really helpful.

                   I am in touch with Amar Kanwar and will be getting the films.

                  I have also subscribed to the group.

                   Any one from Vikalp around here?

                   Thanks a lot for the email ids Stalin. They will really help me

                  With regards,

                  Fathima

                  From: Alok Kapur <alokapur@...>
                  Date: Tue, 2 Feb 2010 20:27:36 +0530 (IST)

                  Message 8 of 16 , Feb 2, 2010
                    I dont think it will be safe to assume that ALL documentary films will be available from Magic Lantern Foundation. I believe they would only have those films that they distribute. The Bioscopewallah for example, which is my film may not be available with Magic Lantern, for the simple reason that like most other independent filmmakers, I am self-distributing it.

                    Perhaps Frederick was referring to a non-distribution-centric method of online data-base structure?

                    Prashant

                    --

                    Frederick Noronha fn@goa-india. org
                    +91-832-2409490 +91-9822122436
                    784 Sonarbhat Nr Lourdes Convent Saligao 403511 Bardez Goa

                    I Twitter. Do you? http://twitter. com/fn

                  • gaurang raval
                    Message 9 of 16 , Feb 2, 2010
                      Hi

                      You can also get documentary films from Drishti, Ahmedabad.

                      Please visit to www.drishtimedia.org or write to drishtiad1@...

                      Gaurang Raval,
                      Drishti

                      Message 10 of 16 , Feb 4, 2010
                        Dear Fathima

                        You might find a visit to the Delhi Film archive website useful  -  delhifilmarchive.org

                        Delhi Film Archive is the Delhi chapter of Films for Freedom. Vikalp in Mumbai and its archive too are part of the same formation of documentary film makers. To be part of debates and discussions on the documentary, you might want to become a member of Vikalp, the e list of Film for Freedom members across India. Just write to the moderators at vikalp_mod@...

                        Best wishes

                        Saba Dewan

                        From: Alok Kapur <alokapur@...>
                        Date: Tue, 2 Feb 2010 20:27:36 +0530 (IST)

[...]

                        A-19, Gulmohar Park
                        New Delhi -110049
                        Tel: 00-91-11-26515161
                        Fax: 00-91-11-41640681
                        Email: sabadewan@...
                                 theothersong@...

                      • Saba Dewan
                        Message 11 of 16 , Feb 8, 2010
                          Dear Fathima

                          I am not aware that Sita's Family or any of my other films are available online. Have so far not got down to doing anything in that direction.

                          You could however borrow copies of the documentaries kept in Delhi Film Archive whenever you visit Delhi. Over the years DFA has had a large number of researchers, film enthusiasts etc use its facilities to watch films.

                          As for articles on documentaries you might want to take a look at a collection of essays on the documentary - The Open Frame Reader edited by Rajiv Mehrotra and published by Rupa and the Public Service Broadcasting Trust. I am not sure though whether this is available online. Besides this, the Film for Freedom group in Bangalore had brought out a collection of articles on the documentary to mark their screening of the Vikalp collection of films in 2004. Again, I am unaware if these are available online but hard copies are certainly available with many of us.

                          Although documentaries from India have been a largely neglected subject of research, of late there has been an interest in the genre. You might find it useful to get in touch with reserchers like Anuja Jain, Nicole Wolf and Tilottama Karlekar who are working on issues related to documentaries from India.

                          Best wishes

                          Saba

                        • Saameer Mody
                          Message 12 of 16 , Feb 8, 2010

                            Dear Fatima / Saba,

                            This is further to your queries regarding availability of documentaries online.

                            I am pleased to inform you that we at www.1takemedia.com believe in the potential of short films and documentaries and have thus created a platform for distributing this “Alternate Content” across multiple platforms. Out attempt is it achieve 2 motives – greater / wider viewership of such content and generating revenue for the film makers from the same. At present, we have over 600 films / docs on our platform. One can view them on

                            1. Our website - http://www.1takemedia.com/youtube/index
                            2. Our Partner channel on YouTube – www.youtube.com/1takemedia. Our channel has generated over 400000 views in only 6 months
                            3. Out content is also available on other video portals
                            4. We have also put up over content on the 3G platform of BSNL
                            5. Overseas sale and distribution is also an area of focus and till date we have sent representations to Cannes, MIPCOM, etc.
                            6. We are also aggressively pursuing the opportunities on home video, IPTV, DTH, television, etc.

                            Thus you can see that our films do get a wider exposure + the icing on the cake is that we share revenues generated from all platforms with the film makers.

                            I invite you to watch the films in our database on either of the platforms you prefer as well as offer to distribute your films also.

                            Feel free to contact me on saameer@... for further information.

                            Regards,

                            Saameer Mody

                            +91 9867171631

                            1takemedia

                            www.1takemedia.com
                            India's  largest entertainment jobs, casting & resources platform.

                            Message 13 of 16 , Feb 15, 2010

                              Dear Fathima,

                              sorry for the late reply but I have been out of emails for a small while and found my inbox extremely full to catch up on time with information.

                              I am happy to meet you in London, if you find that useful, and share with you information about Indian documentary film on which I have been working for the past four years as part of my PhD (which I hope will be over sooner than later).

                              All the information passed to you through this network are more than valid. If you cannot travel to India now, you may find a few Indian docu at RAI or at a few University libraries.
                              If you can travel to India , I can guarantee that in all the places mentioned in this network you can go and watch films without purchase them necessarily.

                              Be in touch

                              Giulia

                              Giulia Battaglia

                              PhD Candidate
                              Dept of Anthropology and Sociology
                              School of Oriental and African Studies
                              University of London

                              Mobile phone: +44 (0)7966647649

                              To: docuwallahs2@yahoogroups.com
                              CC: fatima.n82@...

                              Message 14 of 16 , Feb 18, 2010
                                Apologies,

                                I haven't realised I kept the conversation on Docuwallah.

                                Fatima, can you please get back to me on my own account?

                                To: docuwallahs2@yahoogroups.com
                                CC: fatima.n82@...
                                From: giu_bat@...
                                Date: Mon, 15 Feb 2010 23:28:57 +0100