indiadisasters.org film fest

  • Max Martin
    Message 1 of 8 , Aug 17, 2005
      Dear friends,
      indiadisasters.org has been planning a film festival on the theme of
      disasters for October. The idea is to focus on the theme of disaster
      rehabilitation, throwing in aspects of preparedness, rights and
      standards.

      We have received some entries specifically on tsunami rehabilitation.
      And promises about some more films that are nearing completion. We
      have yet to make a final list.

      We are plannning it as a multi-city initiative, possibly with some
      screenings in temporary rehabilitation shelters and fishing hamlets.
      Definitely there will be screenings in Chennai and
      Thiruvananthapuram. Possibly in Nagapattinam and Kanyakumari as well.

      May I request docuwallahs to spread the word and recommend films that
      have escaped our scanner? Pl write a line about the film and the
      filmmakers' contact. Please do not hesitate to blow your own trumpet
      as well.

      Cheers

      Max Martin
      editor
      indiadisasters.org
    • leena manimekalai
      Message 2 of 8 , Aug 18, 2005
        Dear Max Martin,
        Am leena manimekalai, a media activist based in
        chennai.
        I just completed a docu feature on the subject of srt
        therapy for psunami affected children in nagapatinam.
        How do I reach u the film?
        Just yesterday, it got premeired in One billion eyes
        documentary festival in chennai?
        am right now not in the country but I can still make
        arrangements for the film to reach u.
        Am on my way back to India from Venezuala and will be
        reaching chennai in few days.
        lat me also know more about ur initiative
        thanks
        cheera
        leena

        --- Max Martin <maxmartin@...> wrote:

        > Dear friends,
        > indiadisasters.org has been planning a film festival
        > on the theme of
        > disasters for October. The idea is to focus on the
        > theme of disaster
        > rehabilitation, throwing in aspects of preparedness,
        > rights and
        > standards.
        >
        > We have received some entries specifically on
        > tsunami rehabilitation.
        > And promises about some more films that are nearing
        > completion. We
        > have yet to make a final list.
        >
        > We are plannning it as a multi-city initiative,
        > possibly with some
        > screenings in temporary rehabilitation shelters and
        > fishing hamlets.
        > Definitely there will be screenings in Chennai and
        > Thiruvananthapuram. Possibly in Nagapattinam and
        > Kanyakumari as well.
        >
        > May I request docuwallahs to spread the word and
        > recommend films that
        > have escaped our scanner? Pl write a line about the
        > film and the
        > filmmakers' contact. Please do not hesitate to blow
        > your own trumpet
        > as well.
        >
        > Cheers
        >
        > Max Martin
        > editor
        > indiadisasters.org

        > --------------------~-->

        > would our lives be like without music, dance, and
        > theater?Donate or volunteer in the arts today at
        > Network for Good</a>.</font>

      • VRC
        Message 3 of 8 , Aug 19, 2005
          Dear Mr Martin,

          Hi! This is in response to your mail regarding films on disasters. We at CEE (Centre for Environment Education) have produced a 26 minute video programme called 'Rebuilding Hope'. This programme looks at the aftermath of the Gujarat earthquake of 2001. A short synopsis of the film is attached below.

          What defence can ordinary people have when the earth itself shakes, shattering in a few minutes what they have been building for decades? Life would never be the same for millions of people in the western Indian state of Gujarat after the devastating earthquake of January 2001. But as soon as the dust settled, communities started rebuilding their lives slowly but steadily. Sometimes they worked with the government, and at other times in spite of the government. Within a year, the landscape had been transformed.

          This film is one of the six programmes on civil society issues produced under the Truth Talking Project, a regional media initiative of TVE Asia Pacific.

          Please let us know in which format and by when we could send a copy of the film to you. We look forward to hearing from you.

          Regards,
          Nandini

            Message 5 of 8 , Aug 21, 2005
              Dear Sir, this is my new film on tsunami. please send
              all the details of the fetival, thanks.

              Old sea and the man

              Documentary film on Tsunami and other Coastal issues.
              Duration -70 mts Format-DV Cam

              The tsunami that occurred on 26 December 2004 was
              clearly one of the deadliest natural disasters the
              world has seen in recent times. Resulting in 8081
              deaths in Tamilnadu, hundreds of thousands more
              displaced, and massive infrastructure destruction,
              there is no doubt that concerted and long-term
              attention needs to be paid to the rebuilding of the
              affected communities.
              This documentary made in post-Tsunami situation of
              Tamil Nadu (south India)clearly brings out the range
              of human rights violations of the coastal communities
              in the name of “development”. The obvious human
              rights violations of these communities that result
              from the so called relief and rehabilitation efforts
              are many. Through the views of the coastal
              communities across the coast line of Tamil Nadu, this
              documentary exposes the design of the State to
              forcibly relocate the fishing community from their
              pre-tsunami settlements that amounts to completely
              uprooting them from their livelihood resources.

              This documentary also clearly brings out the man-made
              silent Tsunami’s that has been eroding the lives of
              coastal communities and coastal resources for decades
              now.
              The resistance of the coastal communities to the so
              called development based on market oriented models
              generated by globalisation continues.

              Crew:

              commentary Script : R. Vidyasagar,
              Ajai Jacob
              Research& Co-ordinator : Ajai Jacob
              Editor :
              Thangaraj
              Co-director&
              Still Photographer: : Kutti Revathi
              Music : S.L.
              Vaidyanathan
              Produced by : Action Aid
              International India
              Script, Videography
              & Direction : R.R.
              Srinivasan

              Producer
              Action Aid International-India
              No:23, West Park Road,
              Shenoy Nagar,Chennai - 600 030.
              Tamil Nadu.
              Tel: +91-44-26191620 / 21
              www.actionaidindia.org

              R.R.Srinivasan

              Mail : R-103, Ruby Block, Sudsun Gems Park, Mugappair
              West,
              Chennai - 600 058.TamilNadu, India.

              Telephone : 91-44-26533336 Mobile : 94440-65336 Mail
              : rr18srinivasan@... , seeniyammal@...

              R.R. Srinivasan film maker, photographer, writer made
              the controversial documentary 'Death of a River'
              (1999) based on the killing of 17 people in the
              Thamirabarani river by Tamil Nadu Police. Involved in
              the promotion of film appreciation movement in South
              India through the film society movement and
              alternative film journals . He is the
              founder-secretary of Kanchanai film society in
              Thirunelveli, which took serious cinema to a
              non-metropolitan audience. He guest lecturers on film
              ,literature and photography in universities and
              colleges. He has been exploring the possibilities of
              visual anthropology.

              Filmography :

              Close your eyes (1997),The Ruins (1998),Death of a
              River (1999)

              Labyrinthe (2000),Getting Lost (2000),The Untouchable
              Country (2001)

              Silk Route (2001) ,Invisible Children(2003)

              R.R.SRINIVASAN,
              R-103 RUBY BLOCK,
              SUDSUN GEMS PARK,
              MUGAPPEIR WEST,
              CHENNAI-600058.
              TAMILNADU.INDIA
              MAIL-seeniyammal@...
              MAIL-streetphotographers2004@...
              PHONE. 91-044-26533336,
              MOBILE-(0)94440-65336

              http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs
            • Frederick Noronha (FN)
              Message 6 of 8 , Aug 24, 2005
                On Fri, 2005-08-19 at 11:54 +0100, sehjo singh wrote:

                > Hi I have a film on the Kandla cyclone, made some years ago; but can
                > send you a copy only in september 3rd week, as I am out of station -
                > will that do. sehjo singh

                Sehjo, Nice to learn about your film. I managed to trace this lone
                reference on the web. Could you please share with us some more details?
                Many thanks... FN

                http://www.duryognivaran.org/indexnew.php?id=17
                ' Cyclone in Gujarat - Lessons Learnt,' by Sehjo Singh, a freelance
                journalist. The film depicted the aftermath of the Kandla cyclone and
                the livelihood problems faced by the people in the wake of the cyclone.
              • vartika nanda