Re: creatures in general

  • phoadevrts
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 1, 2003
      Just obtained new Dell running XP and have had no luck getting
      Creatures Playground to run on it. Would appreciate you registery
      hacks as I can get the install to run but the game will not run once
      installed

      Thanks
      --- In dockingstation-aftermath@yahoogroups.com, "TreeSprite"
      <treesprite@t...> wrote:
      > Here's some help for users with Windows XP who need information on
      > installing the Creatures Series of games on their XP box.
      >
      > Upgrade from Win9x to XP Pro:
      >
      > Creatures (Deluxe) - worked well, but was a bit slower than usual.
      I didn't
      > have to set it up for any compatibility modes, it just ran from the
      shortcut
      > as usual.
      >
      > Creatures 1 Genetics kit - Worked fine!
      >
      > Creatures 2 (Deluxe with the Life Kit 2) - Wouldn't run at all.
      When I ran
      > the program I got the following error: [DDERROR - NODIRECTDRAWHW]
      has been
      > detected when attempting to draw game sprites. It then compounded
      with a
      > runtime error. I found that this error is due to the Video card not
      having
      > an XP driver that supports direct draw. DirectX wants to use the
      Hardware
      > acceleration in C2 rather than software acceleration. I changed
      settings as
      > much as possible, but it wouldn't run without being able to access
      the
      > hardware. I suggest that anyone wanting to upgrade to XP check
      with their
      > video card manufacturer to see if the drivers for XP support Direct
      Draw
      > from the hardware, or if they are for display only.
      >
      > Creatures 3 - Ran right from the shortcut as usual, and I didn't
      have to
      > change any settings, but again, it ran slower than it had in
      Windows 9x.

      > Docking Station - Ran right from the shortcut as usual, and I
      didn't have to
      > change any settings, but again, it ran slower than it had in
      Windows 9x.

      > Map Editor - Worked fine.
      >
      > Genetics Kit - Worked fine.
      >
      > CAOS tool - Worked well until I tried stuffing it with more than 10
      open cos
      > files. At which point it went belly up with a fatal error, but
      under XP it
      > shut down quietly and didn't cause problems.
      >
      > Creatures Adventures & Playground - one ran perfectly fine, and the
      other
      > didn't. I fixed the problems with Playground by setting the game
      to run in
      > Windows98 compatibility... but the parental controls triangle was a
      bit off
      > even then. Dunno why. This issue didn't affect game play though.
      >
      > Overall, I think that the instances of the programs running slower
      were
      > mainly due to differences in the way the programs were interacting
      with my
      > video card. <rant>Basically what I'm saying is that inferior
      drivers stink!
      > Darn ATI anyways!</rant> I'd also like to make clear that these
      programs
      > were installed prior to upgrading, and I never took the time to
      uninstall,
      > and try a clean install after the upgrade.
      >
      > Windows XP Pro clean install:
      >
      > I want to get straight first off that I have the trilogy on CD.
      This is the
      > medium I used to try to install the games. When placing the
      trilogy CD into
      > the CD drive I received the following error: launcher.exe has
      encountered a
      > problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience. I
      got this
      > message right after upgrade as well... didn't hurt anything mind,
      it was
      > just very annoying! After installing XP clean, it was a bit more
      trouble,
      > however. I took care of this problem by closing the report window
      (I didn't
      > send the error report to Microsoft), then opening the cd drive from
      the icon
      > in My computer. I then found the installs in each games folder to
      install.

      > Creatures - When I tried to install as administrator without using
      > compatibility modes, I received the following error:
      > ISDX_ERR_BADWINDOWSVERSION - entry not found in string table.
      >
      > I found that the problem was best solved as follows: Right click the
      > Setup.exe program and select the compatibility tab. Check run this
      program
      > in compatibility mode for: Windows NT 4.0 Service pack 5, and
      clicked OK.
      > (This compatibility option works best - however, if one were to
      install
      > Creatures that was a version prior to the 1.02 version, they would
      have
      > problems playing the game until they installed the 1.02 update, and
      they
      > would need the NT_Creatures_Install.zip to fix things. I also have a
      > Creatures CD that has the 1.0 version, and I checked to be sure of
      what was
      > needed to install it.) I then right clicked on the Setup.exe file
      and
      > clicked run as: then checked "The following user" and set the user
      option to
      > "administrator" and then provided the administrator password. The
      program
      > installed as it should have with no problems.
      >
      > Creatures 2 - I followed exactly the same steps as I did with
      Creatures 1,
      > and things went fine (the game installed properly) until I ran the
      program.
      > When I ran the program I got the following error: [DDERROR -
      NODIRECTDRAWHW]
      > has been detected when attempting to draw game sprites. It then
      compounded
      > with a runtime error. I explained this error above - it's the
      Video card
      > driver issue.
      >
      > Creatures 3 - I followed exactly the same steps that I did when I
      installed
      > Creatures 1, and things were fine until the following error during
      install:
      > DX doesn't support the windows version on the system. To fix this
      problem
      > and install I bypassed the DirectX install sequence. ( I don't know
      how to
      > help those who don't have the Trilogy. I don't have an original C3
      disk. I
      > know that there is a DX bypass for Creatures Adventures, but I
      haven't a
      > clue as to whether that would work for C3, or if it is even
      necessary.)

      > Docking Station - I followed exactly the same steps that I did when
      > installed Creatures 1 and things were perfectly fine! I didn't
      have any
      > problems creating a new world, or logging on. I used my TreeSprite
      > username, and password, and the game registered and went online
      correctly.

      > Creatures3 CAOS tool - Installed and ran fine. I set the program to
      NT 4.0
      > SP5 compatibility though, just to be sure.
      >
      > Creatures3 Map editor - Installed and ran fine. I set the program
      to NT 4.0
      > SP5 compatibility though, just to be sure.
      >
      > Creatures3 Gen Kit - I TRIED EVERYTHING! Darned thing wouldn't
      clean
      > install under ANY settings, and I am frankly both miffed, and
      mystified. I
      > think the reason I'm miffed is obvious... I hate it when I can't
      fix things
      > properly. The reason I'm mystified is as follows. Not being one
      to look at
      > a potential problem and not have a backup, I grabbed my backup.
      Here's the
      > deal - the preinstallation of the Genetics kit will run on the XP
      machine.
      > The only thing it wanted was for me to re-enter my Registration
      code, and
      > registration name. I don't know what to be done for anyone who
      doesn't have
      > the kit backed up, or who tries to install it after loosing the
      hard drive,
      > other than possibly installing it on a W98 machine at a friend's
      and then
      > copying the installed folder to CD for transport home.
      >
      > Creatures Adventures - placed the CD in the drive, autorun started,
      and the
      > game installed and ran as it should have... no settings needed! :+)
      >

      > Creatures Playground - When placing the CD into the CD drive I
      received the
      > following error: launcher.exe has encountered a problem and needs
      to close.
      > We are sorry for the inconvenience. (hmmm... my version of
      Playground was
      > from Encore software... same as the trilogy. I'm beginning to see
      a pattern
      > here...) When I tried to install as administrator without using
      > compatibility modes, I received the following error:
      > ISDX_ERR_BADWINDOWSVERSION - entry not found in string table.
      > NT4.0 Service Pack 5 Compatibility didn't fix the problem, but as
      instructed
      > on the old support website, Windows 2000 compatibility did allow
      the game to
      > install. However, it wouldn't run. Here's the error I got:
      >
      > Error in: Window::DoStartUp
      > Failed to create server thread
      > *and the date, time, and my login name - which I'm sure you don't
      need me to
      > provide here* - 2.142
      > Action: Continue
      > Error in: InitInstance
      > Failed to make main window
      >
      > I uninstalled, and reinstalled again, and this time I got the
      > "ISDX_ERR_BADWINDOWSVERSION - entry not found in string table"
      again. I've
      > since discovered a way to install Creatures Playground on XP and
      get it to
      > run. It involves a Registry edit workaround, and it's a several
      step job.
      > Not to mention that it could cause problems with the registry if
      you don't
      > do it properly. If anyone wants to have my notes on how to do so,
      as well
      > as the Registry keys that must be entered into your machine to run
      the game
      > send me an email, and I'll get the information out to you asap.
      However...
      > I don't want any complaints if you make horrid errors as I'm
      warning you
      > from the get go that editing your Windows registry is possibly
      hazardous to
      > your computer.
      >
      > The Creatures Series of games were not made to work on the Windows
      XP operating system.
      > Though similiar, this operating system is different from Windows
      95/98/ME
      > and thus it may be unstable or refuse to work at all. However, some
      users
      > have reported that things work fine as long as:
      > The game / addon is installed by a user with complete administrator
      > privileges.
      > The game / addon is run only by a user with complete administrator
      > privileges.
      >
      > To do this follow these steps:
      >
      > 1.) Fetch the person who is the administrator for the machine.
      > 2.) Have them right click the Docking Station executable, and
      choose "run
      > as"
      > 3.) When the dialog box pops up have them select "The following
      User"
      > "Administrator" and fill in the Administrator's password.
      > 4.) After that the installation should run properly.
      > 5.) If it does not, have the Administrator right click the new
      shortcut
      > again, choose "Properties", and select the compatibility tab.
      > 6.) In the compatibility mode section check the "run this program
      in
      > compatibility mode for:" box, and then choose "Windows NT 4.0
      service pack
      > 5" if the computer came with Windows XP, or "Windows 98/Windows ME"
      if the
      > computer had the OS upgraded from Win9X. *Really either setting
      should work,
      > but some older machines that have been upgraded from Win9X have the
      tendancy
      > to not run the game with any other setting.*
      > 7.) Click OK, and then try your new shortcut again.
      >
      > If the program still will not run, and closes out to the desktop
      your
      > problem is either that you MUST run the program with 800 X 600
      desktop
      > resolution (try dropping the machine's desktop resolution to
      800X600 - Right
      > click the desktop, choose properties, and then click the settings
      tab. In
      > the lower right corner adjust the Screen Resolution slider to
      800X600.), or
      > a separate issue alltogether that concerns Microsoft Office XP.
      >
      > XP and the launch screen quitting out on startup
      > Here's what was once written in the C3 Support:
      >
      > Some users have noticed that Creatures 3 and Docking Station do not
      load on
      > occasion. The game is launched but the splash screen simply quits
      out
      > returning to the desktop. If you have Office XP installed on your
      machine as
      > well then the issue might be due to CTFMON, a file that is run (and
      keeps on
      > running) when Office XP applications are launched.
      >
      > Please read the following article on the Microsoft (TM) Support
      website.
      > http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q282/5/99.ASP
      >
      > I hope all this information helps!
      > If you want more information, or have questions, please feel free
      to contact
      > me at the address provided below.
      > TreeSprite
      > treesprite.geo(at)yahoo.com
    • Don
      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 1, 2003
        If the Creatures Playground installation does complete you will need
        to check you have the latest DirectX 9b installed
        (http://v4.windowsupdate.microsoft.com/en/). Then is there no error
        message at all? The game just refuses to load?

        Don
        http://creatures.amberz.net

        In dockingstation-aftermath@yahoogroups.com, "phoadevrts" wrote:
        > Just obtained new Dell running XP and have had no luck getting
        > Creatures Playground to run on it. Would appreciate you registery
        > hacks as I can get the install to run but the game will not run
        > once installed
        >
        > Thanks
      • Don
        Message 3 of 4 , Dec 1, 2003
          Okay, I just reinstalled Creatures Adventures (not having CP) as a
          test and discovered to complete the installation under Windows XP
          (and prevent it exiting with an error in the last second) I needed
          to find setup.exe on the CD (in the install folder), right click on
          it and in properties, under the compatibility tab, set it to windows
          98/ME compatibility before clicking on the setup.exe to install the
          game. From there the game installed and then ran without any
          problems.

          Don
          http//creatures.amberz.net