Comparing open source list servers, MC2 going open source?

  • Steven Clift
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 12, 2002
      What do folks think about Sympa <http://listes.cru.fr/sympa> compared
      to Mailman http://www.list.org?

      Also, the folks involved with <http://mc2.vicnet.net.au/> said they
      were looking at using <http://www.listar.org/> to make their web-e-
      mail online community system two-way via e-mail. Also, when I met
      with folks at Vicnet, they mentioned that they are considering taking
      MC2 open source with the next update. It will then be the closest
      thing to Yahoogroups that you could run on your own domain. This
      could be very big.

      Cheers,

      Steven Clift

      P.S. Any idea how they built their e-list archives and create linear
      thread archives? Anyone seen anything like this elsewhere? Love it!
      http://www.communitybuilders.nsw.gov.au/forum/list.php?f=3

      Date sent: Wed, 09 Jan 2002 17:32:02 +0100
      From: Aumont <serge.aumont@...>
      To: sympa-announce@..., sympa-fr@..., sympa-
      dev@...,
      sympa-users@...
      Send reply to: sympa-authors@...
      Subject: [sympa-announce] Sympa 3.3 released

      Sympa 3.3 (alias Sympa XP Campus Edition) is available at
      http://listes.cru.fr/sympa ,
      (You don't need to register your XP passeport)

      I VIRTUAL ROBOT

      Sympa virtual robots are like Apache virtual hosting : a single
      daemon
      sympa.pl and a single cgi server wwsympa.fcgi now can serve multiple
      domains with their own set of list, templates and scenarii.

      All configuration parameters can be defined for each robot
      (templates,
      scenario topics, colors and so on), but Sympa installation parameters
      common to all virtual robot (such as binary and spool location, SMTP
      engine, antivirus plugging etc). A robot is named with its domain,
      and
      has its own setup directory ~sympa/etc/dom.org. ~sympa/expl/dom.org/
      contains the lists of dom.org robot

      Templates and scenarii will first be searched in
      ~sympa/etc/dom.org/wws_templates/, ~sympa/etc/dom.org/templates/,
      ~sympa/etc/dom.org/scenari/ directories before searching into
      ~sympa/etc.

      II LDAP AUTHENTICATION

      If configured so, Sympa allows LDAP authentication via uid or emails
      stored in LDAP Directories so local users don't need anymore a
      specific
      password for Sympa usage.

      In addition, it is now possible to define named filters in the list's
      configuration you can grant privileges to people stored in an LDAP
      Directory thanks to scenario.

      III INSTALLATION

      New "./configure;make;make install" gnu style installation procedure.

      IV OTHER

      Users can record multiple emails (preferences and which pages) These
      addresses are used as alternative emails and may be found in the LDAP
      directory used for authentication.

      Shared bookmarks into the shared repository.

      src/List.pm: [John Dalbec] 'include_ldap_2level_query' perform an
      LDAP
      query in 2 times.

      Antivirus plugging : now works with AvpLinux and 'F-Prot' anti-virus

      New admin pages : chronological list of lists in server_admin web
      pages,
      purge_list feature in server_admin web pages, list of Virtual Robots
      in
      server_admin web pages

      etc

      Serge Aumont Comité Réseaux des Universités
      Campus Beaulieu
      35042 Rennes Cedex

      ^ ^ ^ ^
      Steven L. Clift - W: http://www.publicus.net
      Minneapolis - - - E: clift@...
      Minnesota - - - - - T: +1.612.822.8667
      USA - - - - - - - ICQ: 13789183
    • bobt@elmwood.com
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 12, 2002
        Don't overlook www.phorum.org.
        It supports online discussion and email-to-discussion board
        interface.

        I haven't used the other ones, so I am not naysaying any of them.

        > P.S. Any idea how they built their e-list archives and create linear
        > thread archives? Anyone seen anything like this elsewhere? Love it!
        > http://www.communitybuilders.nsw.gov.au/forum/list.php?f=3

        Hey, what a coincidence! The one you "Love!" is www.phorum.org.
        They really should reference the software they are using, but I
        recognize the format and I'm sure that is what they are using..
      • Steve Kranz
        Message 3 of 4 , Jan 12, 2002
          Phorum looks like exactly the type of web archive/discussion I've been
          wanting to integrate into the Winona Online Democracy email discussion list,
          but after looking over the docs and doing a bit of searching there doesn't
          seem to be much documentation or info on how to implement the phorummail
          feature. Does anyone know of an article or something that would provide
          more info?

          -Steve Kranz
          -Winona Online Democracy

          Message 4 of 4 , Jan 12, 2002
            You need to capture the incoming mail and route it to a script.

            Look at the script:
            scripts/phorummail.

            The notes should tell you what you need to do.

            You notice it does not have a "php" ending. They assume you run php
            in cgi mode which is usually not the case. You'll have to figure
            out how to install php to run this way.