Re: [DML] Re: Wheel Balancing Damage

  • Mike Atkinson
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 31, 2006
      Most Discount Tire shops use the GSP-9700 however they will also
      over torque your wheels while re-mounting to the car. Unfortunately
      it's an insurance requirement. They cannot use 50 to 60 ft lbs.
      More like 150ft lbs. It doesn't seem to ruin the lug nuts but
      would make changing a flat difficult.

      This unit also needs to be re-calibrated every day and to be
      honest it should be done more often.

      To get the most from the GSP-9700 it should be re-calibrated by a tech
      who knows what he is doing. Jarring the unit just from regular daily use
      can and most likely will cause an error in balancing. The tires should
      be road stressed by the machine and then balanced.

      If your new tires fail the road stress test they should be replaced with ones
      that can pass and then balanced. Lot's of tire shops use this unit so if you
      can get there in the morning and use it right after it is properly setup you'll
      get the best balance possible.

      Once smaller tires like the DeLorean has are well balanced it rides like
      a dream.

      as always, just my opinion.

      Mike Atkinson
      vin 16232