Front end vibration

  • Michael R Dixon
    Message 1 of 11 , Oct 1, 2000
      I just had my front tires balanced again but can't seem to get a little vibration out at about 50mph and above. What else can it be that is causing my vibration?
      --
      Michael R. Dixon
      The Investment Center

    • Dave Sontos
      Message 2 of 11 , Oct 1, 2000
        Apparently you missed my posting last month about my front end vibration. If
        you have already had the front wheels balanced the next step is to rebalance
        the rear wheels. That was where my problem was. You also may want to check
        your wheel runout on all four wheels. Maximum side runout is 0.080"

        Dave Sontos
        vin 02573

      • jtrealty@webspan.net
        Message 3 of 11 , Oct 1, 2000
          Some other possibilities to consider are the rear tires (this would
          typically manifest itself as a shaking side to side in your belly as
          you go through the speed of greatest resonance)a bad wheel bearing or
          a rim that is bent. Although you can actually balance a bent rim it
          will still run side to side. A simple test is to raise the tire off
          the ground put a stick just touching the rim from the side at the
          area
          where the tire meets the rim and then to slowly rotate the wheel by
          hand and see if it moves in and out from the stick.Repeat for each
          tire. Another way would be if you could swap tires one at a time with
          another "D" that doesn't have a problem. When the vibration goes away
          you found the tire. Sometimes tires develop a hard spot and even with
          balancing they cause vibrations. Feel the sides of all tires, a
          ripple
          or bulge indicates internal damage.
          David Teitelbaum
          vin 10757

          --- In dmcnews@egroups.com, "Michael R Dixon" <investment@s...> wrote:
          > I just had my front tires balanced again but can't seem to get a
          little vibration out at about 50mph and above. What else can it be
          that is causing my vibration?
          > --
          > Michael R. Dixon
        • DMC Joe
          Message 4 of 11 , Oct 1, 2000
            Michael,

            The DeLorean uses a racing type suspension system and requires very tight
            alignment and wheel balancing properties. In many cases computer balancing
            is not sufficient to eliminate wheel vibration. This is a precise procedure
            which most alignment shops are not experienced in.

            You will need to find an alignment shop that is equipped for "on the car
            spin balancing". Check the yellow pages for a suspension alignment shop
            specializing in performance automobiles.

            "We're here to help you"

            DMC Help / De Lorean Services / <dmchelp@...>
            Web Site: <www.deloreanservices.com>

            Message 5 of 11 , Oct 2, 2000
              Mike,
              It might be that one of your rotors are out of balance. Maybe you should
              have your tires balanced while they are on the car.

              Another posibility is that your tires could be out-of-round. Jack each
              wheel off the ground until they spin freely. Spin each wheel and see if the
              distance from wheel to ground changes as the tire spins.

              I've heard of wheel shops that can 'true' tires, but I've never seen it
              done. For those of you who don't know, to 'true' a tires means to grind or
              wear away any high spots to make the tire round.

              Walt Tampa, FL
              WATSDAT
            • Mark Noeltner
              Message 6 of 11 , Oct 2, 2000
                You may want to consider getting the tires and wheels checked by a shop
                that has a Hunter GSP 9700 balancing machine. It is capable of checking for
                wheel runout, hard spots in the tire, and a number of other things that can
                cause vibrations like this. About the only thing it can't check is problems
                on the car itself, like wheel bearings. But most of the potential problems
                are tire and wheel related and it can check all of those things. No
                affiliation, I just like a machine that can tell you so many useful things.

                You can check for places with one of these at: http://www.gsp9700.com/

                Mark N
                VIN 6820

                At 08:31 PM 10/1/00 -0500, you wrote:
                >I just had my front tires balanced again but can't seem to get a little
                vibration out at about 50mph and above. What else can it be that is
                causing my vibration?
                >--
                >Michael R. Dixon
              • Travis Goodwin
                Message 7 of 11 , Mar 1, 2004
                  I have vibration in the steering wheel that becomes more pronounced when the
                  brake is pressed. This points to a bad rotor. I'm replacing both fronts at
                  the moment but a thought occurred to me:

                  Is it possible that misalignment could cause this type of vibration?
                • tobyp@katewwdb.com
                  Message 8 of 11 , Mar 1, 2004
                    Travis - Check out your bushings (part number 108912) that connect
                    the front sway bar to the lower control arm. The rear pair will
                    deteriorate over time, leading to an apparent toe-out condition
                    during braking. I have seen many cases of these bushings with severe
                    cracks and disbonding from the steel sleeves. I really think that
                    this is worth a look.

                    Toby Peterson VIN 2248 "Winged1"
                    DeLorean Parts Northwest, LLC
                    www.delorean-parts.com