Balan Sonde ROM on the WAP-pages

  • Paul Nas
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 28, 2001
      Hello Lists!,

      Balan Sondé is a Dununba-rhythm from the Malinke-people in Guinea: "Balan"
      is a village near Kouroussa, "sondé" means thief. The inhabitants of the
      village are called thiefs (teasing) in the song that goes with this rhythm.
      Balan Sondé is an exception within the Dunumba-rhythm-family. It's played on
      circumcision-festivitys where both men and women dance. While the men are
      dancing dunumba-steps, the woman are dancing the söli-steps. An sound-sample
      of the rhythm is in the Balan Sondé soundclub-educational soundfile (but
      download the player before use).

      UPDATES: On Marakadon, last months ROM I got some new information about the
      origin of the rhythm. Djabara: also a little more background information.

      This month I would like to ask your attention for a new site "Liewill's
      Djembe Pages" that is made by Willie Camerman from Belgium. Part in English,
      part in the Flemish language you can find this site interesting and easy to
      navigate. For Dutch and Belgium visitors I would like to note that a
      rhythm-book in the Dutch language is available.

      Greetings,

      Paul Nas

      WAP-pages for West African Percussion Notation
      http://members.tripod.lycos.nl/Wappages