NYC area drum circles, new classes

  • Beverly Nadelman
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 4, 2013
      Brooklyn Drum Circles
      Saturday, January 5, 2013
      1:00 PM
      Rivington Music Rehearsal Studios
      188 Stanton Street
      New York, NY 10002
      suggested donation: $5.00 per person

      After a combined International House/Brooklyn Drum circle that everyone there agreed was beyond the beyond on the Solstice, the International House Drum Circle resumes its weekly FREE Friday gatherings on January 11.

      WHERE-International House-155 Claremont Ave between 122nd. Street and LaSalle Place. Claremont Ave. runs parallel to and between Broadway and Riverside Drive.

      WHEN-Friday, January 11 (and ongoing) at 7:30PM. Meet in the lobby at I-House so that our sponsor, Namema Amendi, can escort us to the gym where we play.

      BRING-Photo ID that you can leave at the front desk until you leave and Namema's phone number in case we have already gone upstairs and you need to call him to come get you: 347.344.1850. (Please note-Namema won't hear the phone while we are playing and sometimes the grooves run long.  You can also text. Last time he discovered that someone had waited 20 minutes, then left. If you are late, please be patient.

      AFRICAN DRUM CLASSES BEGINNING SATURDAY, JANUARY 19TH
      WITH EDWINA LEE TYLER

      2 CLASSES:  10 -11:30 AM  &  1-2:30 PM
      cost:  $30.00 for 90 minutes class.

      CLASSES WILL BE HELD ONCE A MONTH ON THE 3RD SATURDAY OF EACH MONTH.

      RESERVATIONS REQUIRED AHEAD OF TIME BECAUSE SPACE IS LIMITED TO 15 PER CLASS.

      TO REGISTER: CONTACT Morgne Cramer:  morgnecramer@...
      914 762 0804

      LOCATION:
      Keur Djembe
      568 Union St
      (between 4th Ave & 3rd Ave)
         Brooklyn, NY 11215
         Neighborhood: Gowanus

      Nearest Transit Station:
      Union St (D, N, R)

      Edwina Lee Tyler pioneered the playing of traditional African percussion instruments by women, a practice long thought to be forbidden in African culture. She is a percussionist, composer, vocalist, dancer and actress. Tyler has performed at Alice Tully Hall, Broadway, Brooklyn Academy of Music, Dance Theatre Workshop, La Mama E.T.C. The Michigan Festival, and has toured throughout Europe, Africa and Korea. She taught dance and was director of percussion studies at Dance Theatre of Harlem.. Her  creations and performances are too numerous to mention all. Her latest CD recording, Things are Gonna Change, released in 2000, weaves together her unique style of African, jazz and classical rhythms.

      Walk in beauty on your path.