Upcoming drum circles, NYC

  • Beverly Nadelman
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 1, 2012
      I am not sure for how much longer this site will exist. If you have not already done so but would like to be included in my private email list for greater NYC drumming oriented events, please send me a direct email.

      Dragon wrote:

      Hey all,

      We had a great drum circle in May. Not only did Brian Carter of Brooklyn Drum Circle come and help out facilitating the drum circle but additionally Beverly Nadelman of Drum Circle International House came and brought some of her people too. It was awesome to combine the powers of the three circles into one! On Sunday, May 27th Athena and I finally made it to Brian Carter's Brooklyn Drum Circle in Prospect Park at the Neathermead. Everyone had a blast!

      Also some exciting news on two web fronts. I have finally created a web site for Earth Drum Circle. It is online however the links are only half finished so please bear with me. The second of the web related content is our new YouTube page. Interestingly enough the only content on there thus far is the video from Brooklyn Drum Circle but we will try and get some Earth Drum Circle video up from our next circle coming up. Here are the two new web site addresses:

      www.earthdrumcircle.com
      www.youtube.com/user/EarthDrumCircleNYC

      Please send me any input you may have on these web sites. Our next circle is coming up on Saturday, June 9th. We look forward to seeing all who can make it! Please reply to let us know if you plan on attending.
      Blaze On!,
      DRAGON

      P. S. If need to contact me the day of this event you can reach me on my Cell: (917) 597-5801. Also, If it is supposed to be raining the day of the Drum Circle no need to cancel, we can have it at Casa de Dragon.
      When: Saturday, June 9th at 3:30 p.m. (We head into the Park to the Drum Circle location at 4:00 sharp so please be on time!)

      Where: West 72nd Street & Central Park West (Benches on NE Corner just inside the entrance to the Park - If you reach the "Imagine" plaque at Strawberry Fields you have gine too far!) Please download this map to the drum circle location at Cherry Hill to print and bring with you in case you are running late!
      What to Bring: Yourself (feel free to bring friends along), your drum, and any other percussion or other instruments. A folding chair or ground covering and some sunblock are also good to have on hand. Food and Drink for Potluck: Please try to bring some food and or drink to share as we are tying to make the Drum Circles more of a potluck to sustain our drumming energies.
      Next Brooklyn Drum Circle

      Sunday, July 29, 2012
      12:00 PM
      Selected By: Brian Carter

      Prospect Park Neathermead

      Prospect Park, Brooklyn, NY

      We set up along the tree line, adjacent to the Music Pagoda (aka Gazebo), on the opposite side of the walking path. Use the interactive map link below.

      Selected By: Brian Carter

      suggested donation: $5.00/per person
      Refund policy

      Link to Prospect Park map http://goo.gl/8erWp

      This is an opportunity for you to get your jam on!

      This meetup focuses on giving members opportunities to solo, play off each other, experiment with different percussion sounds, and rhythm games.

      I bring a few drums and percussion instruments, but I advise you to bring your own if have. 'Veteran' members, please bring a small instrument for someone to play.

      I also suggest you bring:
      -Water and/or food to share
-Small folding stool or blanket to sit on
-A song and/or rhythm to share
      Every meetup is also an opportunity for YOU to faciliate!!! Please let me know before we start if you are interested in facilitating.
      Let's play well TOGETHER!!!

      Walk in beauty on your path.
    • Beverly Nadelman
      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 15, 2012
        Please forgive me for this very short notice, but I just received the news myself. It is with a great deal of pleasure that I am announcing that our original sponsor, Namema Amendi, is back in residence at International House. Now that we have a resident to sponsor us, the free Friday evening drum circles will resume tomorrow, November 16. Please read on.

        Namema wrote:

        DRUM CIRCLE AT INTERNATIONAL HOUSE, FRIDAY, 11-

        Apologies for a last meeting posting, but we'll be having a circle tomorrow, Friday, November 16, at 7pm. Address for International Hse: 155 Claremont Avenue, New York, NY 10027.

        Kindly email me soonest you can so I have your name down on a list of attendants for easy access.

        na2270@...

        If you can't make tomorrow, please fret not. The next one is set for November 30th.

        If you have a car, please pack two or three drums :) If you have no drum, come either way. Friday, November 16, 2012

        7:00 PM
        International House
        155 Claremont Avenue
        New York, NY 10027

        Claremont Avenue is a short street that briefly runs parallel to Broadway between it and Riverside Drive. International House is between 122nd Street and LaSalle.

        To get in you must bring a photo ID that you can leave with the guard at the front desk until you leave, when you pick it up again. If you miss the opportunity to have Namema leave your name at the front desk or if you arrive after he has connected with people waiting in the front lobby and need him to escort you to the facility in which we are playing, please call him at:

        347.344.1850
        Beverly

        Walk in beauty on your path.
      • Beverly Nadelman
        Message 3 of 3 , Mar 4, 2013
          Regular free weekly drum circles resume on Friday, March 8, 7:30 at:

          INTERNATIONAL HOUSE

          Namema Amendi, the sponsor of the group,  has secured a heater that
          should help to relieve the concerns of participants who found the chilly
          atmosphere of the gym where we play daunting. It still couldn't hurt to
          dress in warm clothes that you can play in and to bring a hat-just in case.

          International House is located at:

          155 Claremont Ave (between 122nd. St and La Salle Place.

          Claremont Ave runs parallel to Broadway between it  and Riverside drive, from
          116th Street to 125th St. )

          Street parking is available with patience. Allow time to find a space. The
          closest inter-borough public transportation is at W.125th Street and Broadway. Surface

          transportation by bus on Broadway.

          Please bring a photo ID that you can leave at the front desk until you leave and
          Namema's cell number (347.344.1850) . We meet in the lobby at 7:30. If you are
          late you will need to call Namema so that an International House resident can
          come downstairs to sign you in and guide you to the gym where we play. I-House
          is a residence for international graduate students studying at one of the local
          universities, so security is strict (but very nice people are on
          duty.)

          Some instruments are available. If you have some to share, especially
          drums,please bring them.
          --------------------------------------------------------------------------------\
          Free EARTH DRUM CIRCLE

          When: Saturday, Saturday, March 9, ) at 4:00 p.m.

          Where: Casa de Dragón, 5057 Broadway, Apt. #2, Inwood, NY.

          What to Bring: Yourself (feel free to bring friends along), your drum (if drumming), and any

          other percussion or other instruments (adds to the mix). BTW, If you do not have a drum but

          want to drum come on up, I have plenty of extra drums here!

          Food and Drink for Potluck: Please try to bring some food and or drink to share as we are

          tying to make the Drum Circles more of a potluck to sustain our drumming energies!!!

          The #1 Train:
          Take the #1 train to the 215th Street Station. (Don't miss your stop, the next one is in the

          Bronx) If you get on the train in the fourth car from the front it will put you right at the exit

          doors when you get off the train. Once down the stairs I am 1 block West of the train

          station. Just walk from 10th Avenue (where the train stops) to Broadway. (Away from the

          Department of Sanitation.) Cross to the far side of Broadway and I am the first building on

          the right. (Just North of the Deli - Between 215th and 216th Streets)

          The A Train:
          Take the A train to the 207th Street station. Make sure you get on the train at front two cars

          which will let you exit at 211th Street and Broadway. Walk 4 blocks North on Broadway to

          215th Street on the West side of the street. I am the first building just past 215th Street.

          (Just North of the Deli - Between 215th and 216th Streets)

          Download a current Subway Map PDF from the MTA

          Check us out on Facebook at:
          http://www.facebook.com/EarthDrumCircle

          For detailed directions to Casa de Dragón:
          http://www.facebook.com/Casa.de.Dragon
          (For directions click on "about" just below the profile picture at bottom left)

          NYC Drum Circle & Hand Drumming
          Sunday, March 10, 2013
          7:00 PM
          Amir's Atelier
          1255 fifth Ave.
          New York, NY 10029
          Event fee: $10.00 per person

          Brooklyn Drum Circles (in Manhattan until warm weather)
          Regular 3rd Sunday Circle
          Sunday, March 17th, 2013
          1:00 PM

          Rivington Music Rehearsal Studios