Djembe Direct

  • ken v
    Message 1 of 11 , Sep 24, 2011
      Well, nothing says "winter" to me like closing all the windows and taking up drumming after a summer off (I know. Backwards but that's how I roll). This season, it comes to pass that I have had possession of a very nice, professional level, Guinean Drum. It need a working over that I had been trying to find time for. It is now all roped-up and ready and now it is time to either return it to it's rightful owner or purchase it outright.That will cost $400.

      A search of the internet showed this drum:
      http://www.djembedirect.com/item/djembe/guinea_djembe
      The images and description place it very close in quality to the one that I have at hand but a LOT cheaper. I would like to support the local merchant but that's a lot of support!

      Do any members have any experience with the Djembe Direct drums or company in general? I don't want my mind to be penny-wise and pound foolish when my heart is telling me to just spend the extra dough in the first place!
    • Rachel Nguyen
      Message 2 of 11 , Sep 24, 2011

        I think it would be great to support the local guy... but maybe you can talk about the price with him.  Maybe he is negotiable and would rather sell you the drum than have you go elsewhere.  Give it a try.

        As to Djembe direct, I have no idea what their quality is, but I would say that it is better to buy a drum in person than one you haven't had a chance to play.  The only exception would be if you were buying from someone you KNOW knows good drums.  Since that is not the case in this situation, I wouldn't do it.

        But that's just me, LOL.

        Rachel

        On 9/24/2011 9:33 AM, ken v wrote:

[...]

        No virus found in this message.

      • Bill Ogle
        Message 3 of 11 , Sep 24, 2011
          If the drum that you have speaks to you and you really like the sound, I suggest buying it. Each djembe has it's own voice, buying one through the web results in getting what you get, you don't have the chance to pick the sound that you want.

          I hope that you enjoy with whatever choice you make.

          Sent from my iPod
        • tom swan
          Message 4 of 11 , Sep 24, 2011
            I've only bought their djembe bag,  a good deal for the money btw,  but from that experience I'd call him a good seller who stands behind his product. The diameter of the djembe's head should depend on how big your hands are;  a lot of players buy djembes with heads that are too small or too big for their hands, if you're going to play lead you have to be able the "drive" the drum so the fit matters. Rhythm players less so but it's still a factor.

            Have him skip putting shea butter on the skin if that hasn't already been done, and don't have the head sanded - takes tone out of the skin. You can find someone experienced who can scratch the head with a razor blade in the traditional way to smooth it out more if needed.

            Don't know how good a djembe player the guy is but probably someboby's there who probably plays well. Have that person play a few djembes over the phone if you can't get there in person. You only need to hear tone to slap a few times on each djembe to hear which one is "speaking" to you most. And there you go, if it meets your size criteria. Med. thick skins area as far as I'd go, most thick skins take alot of effort to bring good sounds out of the drum.

            Consider asking for a photos of the best Guinea djembes he's got there. You can send them to me and I can tell you which is going to be the better playing, I've got a lot of experience and success doing this. Have the head diameter noted for each photo and tell me what glove size you wear. Good luck.
            Mod Note: Karite (shea butter) is okay (and some people like it) to be mixed in with the water as the head soaks. Then it can be a good idea. Putting it on a dry head after it has been mounted is not a good idea, at all.
          • Rob Wandell
            Message 5 of 11 , Sep 24, 2011
              So you've been in possession of this drum for a while? hmmm, would djembe direct do this for you? When the head breaks, who will you go to for service? I offer a significant discount for those that need a new head if they bought the drum from me, and charge more when the drum comes from someone else... Does your local guy re-head? When you need a new head, the shipping back and forth to djembe direct, the extra time, etc, need to be taken into consideration. We get the world we vote for, and we vote with all our decisions. If we all get drums online, only online will exist.... Same with books.... I get irritated at people that come in and thumb through the books I'm selling, ask for a pen and paper, write down the isbn number, and save 10% by going to Amazon... They still want the hands on experience, but they vote with their $.....

              Rob Wandell
              Imagicka
              15 Hawley
              Street Binghamton, NY 13901
              (607)348-0090
              http://www.imagicka.com
              http://www.primalbeat.com

              Message 6 of 11 , Sep 24, 2011
                Um..
                Me.
                That's what I had the drum for: I was re-heading it. What I was actually looking for was a naked shell as I have most of the spare parts laying around to roll my own but the good shells that I found were as expensive as the whole drums, or nearly so.

                If the difference were small, it would be a no brainer. A hundred bucks is a LOT of cake though and that IS the discounted price!That's a lot of classes....

                --- In djembe-l@yahoogroups.com, Rob Wandell <drumiac@...> wrote:

                > So you've been in possession of this drum for a while? hmmm, would djembe direct do this for you? When the head breaks, who will you go to for service? I offer a significant discount for those that need a new head if they bought the drum from me, and charge more when the drum comes from someone else... Does your local guy re-head? When you need a new head, the shipping back and forth to djembe direct, the extra time, etc, need to be taken into consideration. We get the world we vote for, and we vote with all our decisions. If we all get drums online, only online will exist.... Same with books.... I get irritated at people that come in and thumb through the books I'm selling, ask for a pen and paper, write down the isbn number, and save 10% by going to Amazon... They still want the hands on experience, but they vote with their $.....
                >
                > Rob Wandell
                >
                > Imagicka
                >
                > 15 Hawley
                >
                > Street Binghamton, NY 13901
                >
                > Mod Note:
                >
                > Djembe DIrect is good people. Yes, their online sales takes away from my in-store sales. We both support African artisans. Rob (above) is also a great guy and drum builder as are many list members.
                >
                > Support your local drum shop or there will not be a local drum shop when you want one.
                >
                > Alan
                >
                > (607)348-0090
                >
                > http://www.imagicka.com
                >
                > http://www.primalbeat.com
                >

                > On 9/24/2011 9:33 AM, ken v wrote:
                >

                > Well, nothing says "winter" to me like closing all the
                > windows and taking up drumming after a summer off (I know.
                > Backwards but that's how I roll). This season, it comes to
                > pass that I have had possession of a very nice,
                > professional level, Guinean Drum. It need a working over
                > that I had been trying to find time for. It is now all
                > roped-up and ready and now it is time to either return it
                > to it's rightful owner or purchase it outright.That will
                > cost $400.
                >

                > A search of the internet showed this drum:
                >
                > http://www.djembedirect.com/item/djembe/guinea_djembe
                >
                > The images and description place it very close in quality
                > to the one that I have at hand but a LOT cheaper. I would
                > like to support the local merchant but that's a lot of
                > support!
                >

                > Do any members have any experience with the Djembe Direct
                > drums or company in general? I don't want my mind to be
                > penny-wise and pound foolish when my heart is telling me
                > to just spend the extra dough in the first place!
                >

                > No virus found
                > in this message.

                > 09/24/11

              • Rob Wandell
                Message 7 of 11 , Sep 24, 2011
                  Sorry, I didn't get that... So the owner is having you rehead his drum, then will discount it to $400 to sell it to you? Is this after he pays you to rehead? I do understand, $100 is a lot of money, and I can't blame you if that's the deciding factor.  Still, if this particular drum was one that "spoke to me", it would be worth $100 more than a drum that I saw a sample picture of. As has been said many times, each drum is unique, and deciding is difficult. Sam's Club sells an acoustic guitar for about $100, and the picture of it looks a lot like a picture of a guitar that Eric Clapton paid thousands for...I'm betting there's some reason for the cost difference. the hard part is determining whether the difference is in quality or in business model/over head/profit margin...

                  Rob Wandell
                  Imagicka
                  15 Hawley
                  Street Binghamton, NY 13901
                  (607)348-0090
                  http://www.imagicka.com
                  http://www.primalbeat.com

                  To: djembe-l@yahoogroups.com
                  From: ksveader@...
                  Date: Sat, 24 Sep 2011 18:56:35 +0000
                  Subject: [Djembe-L] Re: Djembe Direct

> [...]

                  > pass that I have had possession of a very nice,
                  > professional level, Guinean Drum. It need a working over
                  > that I had been trying to find time for. It is now all
                  > roped-up and ready and now it is time to either return it
                  > to it's rightful owner or purchase it outright.That will
                  > cost $400.
                  >

                  > A search of the internet showed this drum:
                  >
                  > http://www.djembedirect.com/item/djembe/guinea_djembe
                  >
                  > The images and description place it very close in quality
                  > to the one that I have at hand but a LOT cheaper. I would
                  > like to support the local merchant but that's a lot of
                  > support!
                  >

                  > Do any members have any experience with the Djembe Direct
                  > drums or company in general? I don't want my mind to be
                  > penny-wise and pound foolish when my heart is telling me
                  > to just spend the extra dough in the first place!

                • ken v
                  Message 8 of 11 , Sep 24, 2011
                    Well, I am starting to believe that Djembes are like any thing else in today's world: they are all made in the same "factory" to the same general specs, shipped out and "branded". In that case, there is no real difference in a drum from Rob or a drum from Carl or Dave or Tom or Shorty or Drumskull (sorry to those guys ON the list with any of those names not an accusation, just a supposition). In fact, they might be equally "pro" quality but the same drum sold in a market full of affluent housewives is going to sell for more than the same drum sold to a college drum circle kid.

                    Now, the one that I have I know is special. I know the name of the guy who carved it, the guy decorated it, the guy who stained it and the guy who headed it. I don't know most of them personally, but I know a guy who does.

                    I guess the question is NOT if the drum in hand is "worth it". It is. I was just kind of wondering if the other drum was "worth it" too.

                  • Rob Wandell
                    Message 9 of 11 , Sep 24, 2011
                      In that case, you get to decide between the drum you have and one you believe to be identical for $100 less. Support your local drum supplier or save $100. Sounds like you answered your own question and don't need to look too much further.

                      Rob Wandell
                      Imagicka
                      15 Hawley
                      Street Binghamton, NY 13901
                      (607)348-0090
                      http://www.imagicka.com
                      http://www.primalbeat.com

                      To: djembe-l@yahoogroups.com
                      From: ksveader@...
                      Date: Sat, 24 Sep 2011 23:30:01 +0000

> [...]

                      > > pass that I have had possession of a very nice,
                      >
                      > > professional level, Guinean Drum. It need a working over
                      >
                      > > that I had been trying to find time for. It is now all
                      >
                      > > roped-up and ready and now it is time to either return it
                      >
                      > > to it's rightful owner or purchase it outright.That will
                      >
                      > > cost $400.
                      >

                      > > A search of the internet showed this drum:
                      >

                      > > http://www.djembedirect.com/item/djembe/guinea_djembe
                      >

                      > > The images and description place it very close in quality
                      >
                      > > to the one that I have at hand but a LOT cheaper. I would
                      >
                      > > like to support the local merchant but that's a lot of
                      >
                      > > support!
                      >

                      > > Do any members have any experience with the Djembe Direct
                      >
                      > > drums or company in general? I don't want my mind to be
                      >
                      > > penny-wise and pound foolish when my heart is telling me
                      >
                      > > to just spend the extra dough in the first place!

                    • Thomas Kondas
                      Message 10 of 11 , Sep 24, 2011
                        Hello Ken. I disagree that we all produce drums "of equal pro quality", and I think that you might have over-generalized. I will speak from my own experience and say that the way we carve drums in our shop is very different than how the other shops in Guinea are carving drums.  Also, between the other shops there are differences in style and quality; from shop to shop and from carver to carver. Regarding one of the dealers you mentioned, when I look at their [Guinea] djembes online I can often tell which carver carved which drum, and can tell you what level of carver he is. Every carver has a signature in his style, even if it is unintentional. And this is in relation to carving only. The quality of mounting, choice of materials, and choice of skin create further differences between us drum makers. I do understand how people get the idea that we are all just dipping from the same well, but it is not the case.

                        Tom
                        Wula Drum
                        Conakry, Guinea
                        www.wuladrum.com

                      • happy
                        Message 11 of 11 , Sep 26, 2011
                          hi ken,

                          my favorite drum is a shell i purchased from djembedirect. 15" diameter pure heartwood iroko from the ivory coast.

                          but you already got your remo...i still wouldn't hesitate to call them up if i were looking for a shell again..