Drums Not Guns annual board retreat – newsletter January 2011 - LONG

  • Michael
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 1, 2011
      Hello to everyone and I hope you are all staying warm and cozy during this big freeze!
      We had our retreat this past weekend, and had a wonderfully productive and rewarding time. Many thanks to fellow board members and attendees at the retreat, Randy Harp and Suzanna Brown for your dedication and hard work!
      Other thanks that are in order, a big thank you to Valley Reed for setting up the retreat, and to the staff and Whispering Waters, Kevin, Ruth, and Joni for their hospitality.
      I also want to thank departing board member Patrick Glynn for his contributions. See you at the drum jam Cap'n Conga!

      This may be somewhat long, as I wish to share with you the work that we did and the resolutions to which we arrived. I want to also encourage, invite, and implore you to join Drums Not Guns if you are not a member, to recommit if you have been a member in the past, and to support and help us to expand our work with your tax deductible donation to help fund our projects!

      Please, I invite you also to join our yahoo group Drums Not Guns to keep updated on events, download this letter, nomination forms, membership forms, and join in the discussion. Like us on Facebook and keep up with us there as well, and go to http://www.drums.org/dng/membership.html to become a member and show your support!

      I also invite you to join the discussion and add your ideas as to what you think we might do to add excitement, build interest and investment, and better serve you, our drumming and peace building community. Following are some of the outcomes of our retreat:

      1. Program development: we have created a number of programs which we will be adding to our website in the next few days to really focus what it is that we offer. These programs include our "Rhythm Ride tm " routine, Drums Not Guns Drum Circles, Performances, and Presentations of our Drums Not Guns Program designed to target at-risk youths and provide group drumming learning formats as an alternative to gang violence, crime, and anti-social activities! All of these programs are variable in length from 1 hour to muti-day residencies and inservices.
      2. Drums Not Guns Performing Ensemble: Play Drums – Get Paid!! We decided to formalize the performance aspect of our drumming to create a tight, energetic, and exciting performance group. This group will be open to anyone who wishes to participate by attending weekly rehearsals, and commit to increasing their skills and repertoire on various percussion instruments. We will be expanding our repertoire beyond the traditional West African that we love so much to include drumming styles and musical arrangements from many different cultures.
      This ensemble will meet for rehearsals Tuesday evenings 6:30-8pm, location TBA, or contact me for details. I will be leading the rehearsals, and the position of musical/artistic director will be something that will be open in the future should anyone wish to take up that responsibility. DNG will pay the director $200/month plus a percentage of gigs to lead rehearsals, and provide sheet music and practice recordings, and any other relevant duties. Members of the ensemble will also be paid for participating at gigs, and have the opportunity to increase their share by booking and securing gigs themselves.
      3. Website updates: We have been in the process of updating and revamping our website www.drums.org and www.drums.org/dng for the last couple months. Any feedback or suggestions from the community are most welcome and appreciated. We will be adding our programs to the website and be actively marketing them to schools, facilities that serve at-risk youths, festivals, etc. We are also seeking someone who has expertise in web marketing and advertising to assist us in increasing avenues of attracting revenue to the organization to expand these programs and support the website. In addition we have decide to swap positions of the Drums Not Guns homepage with the Drums.Org page so that DNG is on top with a link to the larger drum community page, the reverse of what it is now.
      4. Changes to the bylaws, upcoming board nominations, and elections of officers: We have amended the bylaws so that all current members of Drums Not Guns may nominate people to the board of directors, and also may nominate people for the positions of officers of DNG, which are president, treasurer, and secretary. Officers may be but do not have to be members of the board of directors, but must be current Drums Not Guns members in good standing. The Board of Directors may select additional board members from among those nominated, and all board members shall be Drums Not Guns members in good standing at the $100 minimum level. All nominations for board members and officers must be submitted and received before midnight on February 12, 2011. Elections will henceforth be held during the month of February at the general membership annual meeting. Forms may also be downloaded from http://launch.groups.yahoo.com/group/dng/files/
      5. Meetings: The Board of Directors will meet once again on February 13, 2011 at 10:00am to discuss nominations, any new business, and to prepare for the general membership meeting. The Annual Membership Meeting will be held at The Across The Street Bar in Dallas, TX at 5625 SMU Boulevard at 12:30pm following the Fight For Air Climb -- Dallas where Drums Not Guns will be playing from 7:00am-11:00am in support of the American Lung Association.
      6. Voting: All qualifying nominations will be announced on our FaceBook page, on the Drums Not Guns Website, and through our yahoo group no later than one week prior to the election. All members in good standing may vote at the general meeting if attending, or by email submission prior to the meeting.
      7. Support of Charitable programs: Drums Not Guns will donate an honorarium of $20.00 per session to the facilitator of freely provided charitable drum events.
      8. Opportunities to learn to facilitate Drums Not Guns programs, become certified, and get paid to provide such programs

      Thank you for your generous support! I hope to see many of our old friends and supporters and meet new ones at our next events and attending our meeting on Feb 26! Please feel free to contact us and let us know how we are doing, and what we can do to make this organization more serve you, our youths, and our greater community. Please spread the word about us and PLEASE, GET INVOLVED!

      Michael Kenny MMT, MT-BC - Master of Music Therapy, Board Certified
      President, Drums Not Guns www.drums.org\dng
      Are you a member? If not, become a member!
      Breathe Peace, Drum the Heart, Sing and Dance as if Life itself Depends on it!
      http://www.drumheart.org
    • Arzum INANOGLU
      Message 2 of 2 , Feb 2, 2011
        I started to practice djembe drumming in Istanbul last November. I born and raise ın Istanbul but recently we moved to
        California. So I am coming back to San Francısco  whıch I have a home over there. (mıd February). If anyone could help me to fınd out the percusıon workshop place.

        Thank you

        Arzum

        To: djembe-l@yahoogroups.com