Re: Help me identify this rhythm please?

  • churchofcoltrane
    Message 1 of 8 , Aug 30, 2010
      --- In djembe-l@yahoogroups.com, "dununbob" <bob@...> wrote:

      > The first accompaniment sounds like Yankadi to me.

      I agree with Yankadi .

      A common second accompaniment pattern for Yankadi often includes a bass note that "picks up" before the slaps. The pattern written below seems to fit that pattern, but without the bass note.

      The third pattern written below is not a "traditional" Yankadi pattern, but as the 12/8 "passport," it makes its way into many rhythms as a common accompaniment.

      > --- In djembe-l@yahoogroups.com, "drumwoulf" <drumwoulf@> wrote:
      > >
      > > So many different versions of traditional rhythms on the web, it was impossible for me to find the name for this one! It goes:
      > >
      > > Djembe1: GUN-DUUUN PA, GUN-DUN GO-DO
      > > GUN-DUUUN PA, GUN-DUN GO-DO
      > >
      > > Djembe2: PA-TA GO-DO PA-TA
      > > PA-TA GO-DO PA-TA
      > >
      > > Djembe3: PA-GO PA/ PA-GO PA/ PA-GO PA.....
      > >
      > > i had thot it was maybe a djembe Soukous kind of thing, but I can't seem to find anything on it? I'd like to find the name for it, and am especially looking for a part for a single djun (kenkeni) to accompany it?
      > >
      > > Thanks,
      > > Greywoulf

    • Phil Miller
      Message 2 of 8 , Aug 31, 2010
        djembe1 is Yankadi. djembe2 is also Yankadi although there should be a "dun" pick up note before the first pa and djembe3 is pa-go-pa normally associated with Soli.

        The first accompaniment sounds like Yankadi to me.

        --- In djembe-l@yahoogroups.com, "drumwoulf" <drumwoulf@...> wrote:

        > So many different versions of traditional rhythms on the web, it was impossible for me to find the name for this one! It goes:
        >
        > Djembe1: GUN-DUUUN PA, GUN-DUN GO-DO
        > GUN-DUUUN PA, GUN-DUN GO-DO
        >
        > Djembe2: PA-TA GO-DO PA-TA
        > PA-TA GO-DO PA-TA
        >
        > Djembe3: PA-GO PA/ PA-GO PA/ PA-GO PA.....
        >
        > i had thot it was maybe a djembe Soukous kind of thing, but I can't seem to find anything on it? I'd like to find the name for it, and am especially looking for a part for a single djun (kenkeni) to accompany it?
        >
        > Thanks,
        > Greywoulf

      • Joseph Sterluigi
        Message 3 of 8 , Sep 1 12:44 PM
          The 2nd and 3rd parts listed below are just standard 6/8 accompaniments. The second djembe part is:
          Gun-pah go-do pah - gun-pah-tah-go-do-pah-tah-

          It swings a little bit
          BS*gd*S*BSSgdSS*

          Kenkeni is:(straight 16th notes)
          Bell: left or right hand(practice alternately)
          x = bell, K = kenkeni, '::' = repeat, * = not played

          Bell pattern is -
          xx*xx*xx*xx* ::
          Kenkeni with bell pattern is -
          xx*xx*Kx*Kx*xx*xK*xK*xx*xx*xx*Kx*Kx*xx*xx*xx*xx* ::
          Kenkeni and Dun with bell pattern -
          GG*xx*Kx*Kx*GG*xK*xK*xx*GG*xx*Kx*Kx*GG*xG*xG*Gx* ::

          - Robert Trammel

          On Aug 30, 2010, at 11:16 PM, "churchofcoltrane" <billmatney@...> wrote:

          > --- In djembe-l@yahoogroups.com, "dununbob" <bob@...> wrote:
          > >
          > > The first accompaniment sounds like Yankadi to me.
          > >

          > I agree with Yankadi .
          >
          > A common second accompaniment pattern for Yankadi often includes a bass note that "picks up" before the slaps. The pattern written below seems to fit that pattern, but without the bass note.
          >
          > The third pattern written below is not a "traditional" Yankadi pattern, but as the 12/8 "passport," it makes its way into many rhythms as a common accompaniment.
          >

          > > --- In djembe-l@yahoogroups.com, "drumwoulf" <drumwoulf@> wrote:
          > > >
          > > > So many different versions of traditional rhythms on the web, it was impossible for me to find the name for this one! It goes:
          > > >
          > > > Djembe1: GUN-DUUUN PA, GUN-DUN GO-DO
          > > > GUN-DUUUN PA, GUN-DUN GO-DO
          > > >
          > > > Djembe2: PA-TA GO-DO PA-TA
          > > > PA-TA GO-DO PA-TA
          > > >
          > > > Djembe3: PA-GO PA/ PA-GO PA/ PA-GO PA.....
          > > >
          > > > i had thot it was maybe a djembe Soukous kind of thing, but I can't seem to find anything on it? I'd like to find the name for it, and am especially looking for a part for a single djun (kenkeni) to accompany it?
          > > >
          > > > Thanks,
          > > > Greywoulf

        • dununbob
          Message 4 of 8 , Sep 2 7:51 AM
            Since we have a "Yankadi" consensus here, I will give you the ballet style dununs the way it was taught to me. I don't know offhand how to play it on just one dunun. This rhythm is popular and well documented so there are probably many versions out there on that world wide interweb. It is a young person's dance of flirtation and is usually followed by Makru.

            (the first dununba is a pickup, so the dununba lines up with the 1st accompaniment's basses)

            Yankadi, ballet style...

            DD..K.K..SS.DD..K..K.SS.

            D - dununba
            S - sangban
            K - kenkeni

            hope this helps
          • Cephlian
            Message 5 of 8 , Sep 5 3:08 AM

              Hi Folks,

                              Does anyone know of any Drum Circles located in or near the Sioux Falls, South Dakota area?

              Blessings
              Cheza Ngoma
              Drumming The Dance
              ~Ceph