Hand pain

  • djramsay
    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 1, 2010
      Hi I was wondering if anyone could help with some advice.
      I've been playing djembe for a few years and recently I have hurt my hand. It's sore on my right hand on the ring finger on the first section up from the palm. It's sore to touch e.g. clapping or playing or even just tapping on a table. it's slightly red and swollen but not too much. I've been icing for a few days. I'm desperate to get it fixed and I'm worried that I might be off djembe for a long time.

      Thanks in advance.
    • Mista Alan
      Message 2 of 6 , Feb 1, 2010
        Hi. I have a lot of familiarity with this. The bone of the proximal pads of the ring finger often protrude or bend a bit forward and can get bruised. When it happens, it i usually by someone who is playing hard or too stiff. And it most often happens when mishitting a tone and you strike the wood of the djembe rim. Please try to learn to play relaxed and add some karité or shea butter to your hands before playing.

        What to do in the meantime. Rest from playing at least one week. Ice as much as possible as you are doing. Don't get an ice burn. Go get some foot gel sleeves. They used to save me and save my students when then bruise. They are in the foot section of drugstores and they come in sets of two for about $6.- US. They are washable and last months. Slide one on the injured area and you can play but I still highly recommend a rest. Then put on the gel pad for week 2. If you can't find the pads let me know and I'll send you a link.

        Alan
        http://www.drumconnection.com

        --- In djembe-l@yahoogroups.com, "djramsay" <djramsay@...> wrote:

        > Hi I was wondering if anyone could help with some advice.
      • Rachel Nguyen
        Message 3 of 6 , Feb 1, 2010
          I bruised a bone on my palm at one point, when I started playing cowskin.  As Alan says, I was playing too hard.  My solution was similar.  I bought the non-medicated bunion pads in the foot care section of the pharmacy.  They are the little foam pads that come in packs of 10 or so.  They are disposable, so you can't really reuse them.  I taped one over the sore bone with sport tape.  It really helped.  It took awhile for the pain to go away, but eventually it did and now I am more careful about the amount of pressure I use when I play.

          Rachel

          Mista Alan wrote:

          Hi. I have a lot of familiarity with this. The bone of the proximal pads of the ring finger often protrude or bend a bit forward and can get bruised. When it happens, it i usually by someone who is playing hard or too stiff. And it most often happens when mishitting a tone and you strike the wood of the djembe rim. Please try to learn to play relaxed and add some karité or shea butter to your hands before playing.

          What to do in the meantime. Rest from playing at least one week. Ice as much as possible as you are doing. Don't get an ice burn. Go get some foot gel sleeves. They used to save me and save my students when then bruise. They are in the foot section of drugstores and they come in sets of two for about $6.- US. They are washable and last months. Slide one on the injured area and you can play but I still highly recommend a rest. Then put on the gel pad for week 2. If you can't find the pads let me know and I'll send you a link.

          Alan
          http://www.drumconn ection.com

          --- In djembe-l@yahoogroup s.com, "djramsay" <djramsay@.. .> wrote:

          > Hi I was wondering if anyone could help with some advice.

        • Mark Savage
          Message 4 of 6 , Feb 1, 2010
            I was having some pain in my left hand bird finger or a week or two and was worried however one day I just gave it a tug and the knuckle cracked.  Instant relief!  So now I have been tugging on my fingers daily to get the knuckes to crack and have had no hand discomfort.

            Hope your hand feels better.

            ....marcus

            Message 5 of 6 , Feb 1, 2010
              Greetings "djramsay" and ALL!

              As noted by the choir RICE (Rest, Ice, Compression, Elevation) is
              usually indicated when swelling is involved. I checked on the "Music and
              Medicine" page on my website
              http://tinyurl.com/handcare
              <http://home.acceleration.net/clark/PaperVu/handcare.htm>
              where I am reminded of one of the recommendations is for *Zeng Gu Shui
              found* at many Asian stores. Amongst massage therapist friends this
              lineament is known familiarly as "Hit Juice" as when used immediately
              following an injury its counter-irritant or more mystical properties
              will frequently forestall bruising.

              Thanks for Everything!
              One Love, R
              ++++++
              "I'm not trying to find answers anymore. I'm trying to live what I know."
              - Phil Jackson

              "The palest ink is better than the best memory."
              - Chinese proverb

              "And I oft have heard defended,
              Little said is soonest mended."

              If time heals all wounds, how come the belly button stays the same?
              ++++++

              On 01/Feb/2010 5:06 AM, djramsay wrote:
              > Hi I was wondering if anyone could help with some advice.
              > I've been playing djembe for a few years and recently I have hurt my hand. It's sore on my right hand on the ring finger on the first <snip>
            • Theodore Nestor
              Message 6 of 6 , Feb 2, 2010
                Ice was the best solution.  If it hasn't healed in a couple days to a week then you should become more concious of how your playing.  You don't need all your fingers to play.  You only need one.  Just make sure you stretch your fingers and your wrists.  Also, squeeze the tips of your fingers so that they bend to the first joint.  Then to the second joint, third joint etc. until you have a closed fist.  You should also roll your wrists.  Therapy works.  I wouldn't stop playing.  I would find a way to play better.  Mhwua!