Calabash drum?

  • boyderlam
    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 1, 2006
      hi all...
      i'm planning on making a calabash drum- big half calabash played with
      fists and sticks or rings often used to accompany kora.
      does anyone have any tips on how to construct the box that amplifies
      it?
      all the ones i've seen have looked quite simple, with the calabash
      taped on.

      any ideas gratefully appreciated...

      also, anyone know if they have a name?

      cheers, boyd x
    • Reverend R Clark
      Message 2 of 5 , Dec 1, 2006
        Greetings "Boyd X" and ALL!

        Malian Yaya Diallo, who is the only professional musician I associate
        with this instrument, calls it a "Bara" which means "gourd" or as you
        say "calabash."

        Be aware that gourds are quite fragile and are prone to splitting and
        cracking if stressed too much. I turned a very nice gourd (read
        expensive) into rubbish when attempting to make one of my own.

        Thanks for Everything!
        One Love, R
        ++++++
        "If you carry the egg basket do not dance."
        - African proverb (Ambede)
        ++++++

        "Boyd X" AKA boyderlam wrote:
        > hi all...
        > i'm planning on making a calabash drum- big half calabash played with
        > fists and sticks or rings often used to accompany kora.
        > does anyone have any tips on how to construct the box that amplifies
        > it?
        > all the ones i've seen have looked quite simple, with the calabash
        > taped on.
        >
        > any ideas gratefully appreciated...
        >
        > also, anyone know if they have a name?
      • Tubas L�kkegaard
        Message 3 of 5 , Dec 1, 2006
          Take a look at this calabas player
          http://www.masterdrummer.dk/videoclip/sylvester%20og%20buzu%20miljoeministeriet%20side.htm
          Greetings
          Tubas from Denmark

          Reverend R Clark wrote:
          > Malian Yaya Diallo, who is the only professional musician I associate
          > with this instrument, calls it a "Bara" which means "gourd" or as you
          > say "calabash."
        • Reverend R Clark
          Message 4 of 5 , Dec 1, 2006
            Greetings Tubas and ALL!

            http://tinyurl.com/yhmn5k
            <http://tinyurl.com/yhmn5k>
            to download the Kule video Tubas pointed up.

            However, the Bara or calabash drum is a horse of a different color from
            the Shekere' played in the above video.

            There are many other names for this instrument. There are a few more
            that start with the letter "B" on the following webpage,
            http://tinyurl.com/yybbvy
            <http://tinyurl.com/yybbvy>

            Drumskull drums sells Bara and has the nicest picture I can locate to
            clear up any confusion as to the focus of this thread.
            http://tinyurl.com/ylr2y4
            <http://tinyurl.com/ylr2y4>

            Thanks for Everything!
            One Love, R
            ++++++
            "Ñoma yalunga yo isabika."
            ("The drum that beats well is the one that breaks." - Leaders do not
            live long, because people kill them out of jealousy.)
            - Zambia, Kaonde (Bantu)
            ++++++
          • Larry Swanson
            Message 5 of 5 , Dec 1, 2006
              I haven't seen the amplifying box you refer to. Most of the calabash
              players I've seen (Habib Koite's, Tubaub Krewe's, Edward Souarez and
              Rusty Knorr here in Seattle, et al.) use a similar set-up - the
              calabash simply set down on top of a padded surface with a mike (to
              amplify the bass notes) lying on the pad under the calabash. I think
              Ali Farka Toure's and other calabash players sometimes just set them
              on the ground (see photos on these pages:
              http://www.firenzerecords.com/epkbio.html and
              http://www.firenzerecords.com/timbuktoubab/index.html ). There are
              some nice glimpses of calabash playing on the DVD "A Visit to Ali
              Farka Toure"
              http://www.amazon.com/Visit-Ali-Farka-Toure/dp/B000FC2HOA . I don't
              know if it's related to the fragility mentioned in one of the
              follow-up posts, but the calabash I'm using right now, which was made
              by the kora-maker Jeff Bodony, has a reinforcing iron ring
              glued?/epoxyed? around the inside of its circumference. As to the
              name, I've always heard it referred to as calabash.
              Cheers,
              Larry

              At 04:28 AM 12/1/2006, you wrote:
              >hi all...
              >i'm planning on making a calabash drum- big half calabash played with
              >fists and sticks or rings often used to accompany kora.
              >does anyone have any tips on how to construct the box that amplifies
              >it?
              >all the ones i've seen have looked quite simple, with the calabash
              > taped on.
              >
              >any ideas gratefully appreciated...
              >
              >also, anyone know if they have a name?
              >
              >cheers, boyd x