Re: [Djembe-L] Re: Drum strap/harness?

  • L F capellaro
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 13, 2004
      Hello there Mark, and welcome to the list :)

      I have been thinking hard about this topic too, as I hav several large
      djembes that are a bit too big for the smaller children I work with to hold
      between their knees for any length of time. Straps wouldn't work, for the
      same reason, and what I think I really need is a simple djembe-STAND that I
      can use. Does anyone have any bleu-prints for such a thing, by any chance?

      The djembe strap that I use is a long piece of black webbing that goes once
      around the bowl of the djembe, under the tensioning strings. It comes out in
      a long continuous loop, which I cross once in the middle so the loop is in a
      sort of figure-of-eight shape. One loop of the 8 is around the bowl, and the
      other loop is around the stem of the drum. Put your arms through the loops
      so that the "crossing point" of the figure eight is behind your back, and
      adjust the whole thing till the drum is at the height you want it to be.

      (Yeah - that's as clear as MUD!!! If you succeed in figuring out what the
      devil I am talking about please let me know so that I can award you some
      sort of prize.. ;))

      here is a picture of a strap in use -
      http://www.irietones.com/item/Drum+Strap

      and

      http://www.irietones.com/item/Drum+Strap

      good luck - Laura x

      come and visit! www.worldmusictime.co.uk

      http://www.msn.co.uk/messenger
    • shonti69
      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 14, 2004
        --- In djembe-l@yahoogroups.com, "Mark York" <myork@c...> wrote:
        "Hello! I have been reading emails from the list, and have enjoyed
        them. I'm new to this, but I just received some djembes, and want to
        have my students be able to play them standing up. I thought the
        harness looked simple, but if one of you could explain how I can
        fabricate some, I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks in advance!
        Mark"

        Another thing you can use is upside-down stools! Take a regular back-
        less stool, turn it over so the legs are up, and place the djembe in
        between the legs.