Needed: Drum Head Hardware sources

  • David Vergin
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 31, 2001
      I am preparing to make some drums. I'm fine making rings for the rope-tuned
      drums.

      But I also want to make some with conga-style head fastenings. I have looked
      everywhere I can think of for a source for drum head hardware. Looking around at
      various congas, standing drums, and large ashikos I see a variety of setups:

      /curved-over rings with holes at bottom
      \straight rings (no holes)
      (rod hooks hook over top of ring)

      /v-hooks (to distribute the load more)
      \no v-hook

      threaded rod hooks (various shapes)
      (all setups seem to use these)

      bottom fixture (through which threaded end of rod goes)
      /right-angle flange with hole for rod
      \welded-on tube for rod

      /cross-strap style with screws
      ( down-strap style with screws
      \long down-strap to bottom ring (no screws)

      All of which is very nice to notice. But where can I buy any of this stuff?? I'm
      looking for a mail-order source with catalog, an internet site, or a walk-in
      source in the Seattle area.

      Alternatively, I figure I can make straight rings (Harbor Freight ring bender),
      threaded rod hooks (modified hardware store j-hooks) and bottom fixtures
      (welded-on tube w/down-strap). I have seen some really shabby attempts at
      home-brew hardware (mostly by people with no access to welding or bending
      equipment). Does anyone have experience going the do-it-yourself route for the
      hardware? Any advice for functional, good-looking results?

      Thanks in advance,
      David