TEST MESSAGE

  • HappyShel
    Message 1 of 8 , Dec 27, 1998
      Happy New Year to all:

      Thank you for JOINING our new Djembe-l e-list.

      I appreciate your support and commitment to those who have volunteered to
      assist the List in the forthcoming 34 days as we settle on our new format.

      I have received several posts suggesting that the name be changed from
      djembe-l to various other names.

      Personally, I like the name djembe-l - it keeps my life simple. However, I
      am only one voice. How do you all like the name? Is it OK to keep the
      name, djembe-l or shall we change it?

      Peace,
      Happy
    • AlanTauber@xxxxx.xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx)
      Message 2 of 8 , Dec 27, 1998
        If this is a vote, I vote keep the name. I really don't understand a few
        people's objections to this. I would like to understand, but I feel no
        case has been made to sway my opinion. I've been around since nearly the
        beginning of Djembe-L, I read every post, and I vote keep the name.

        Welcome everybody!

        Alan
      • R Clark
        Message 3 of 8 , Dec 27, 1998
          Hail Happy and ALL,

          I like the name too, and vote to keep it, if that is what you are asking
          for. I have two beautiful pins and seven lovely T-shirts that bear this
          name and still want them to 'stand' for something current. I know that is a
          pretty petty reason, still, I wear them proudly and prominently at every
          drumming function I attend. There iswas a poster to the list that had a tag
          on his email that said something to the effect that if a one edits
          themselves to suit others then they soon whittle themselves away. As to the
          ones with axes to grind and problems with names, notation, and innovation,
          I say jokem... IMO I really don't think the jembe drum is about ethnicity
          any more, it has traveled far and wide and it is suited to much more than
          Mande music and culture, in this modern world.

          Happy Holidays,
          Blessed BE
          IN Time
          Salaamalekum (Peace be unto you.)
          Thanks and Praises, JAH, for the World
          Alsalamdulilaay (Thanks be to JAH)
          R clark@...
          Gainesville, FL USA

          Too much of a good thing is just right - Mae West.

          ----------
          > From: HappyShel <happy@...>
          > To: Djembe <djembe-l@onelist.com>
          > Subject: [djembe-l] TEST MESSAGE
          > Date: Sunday, December 27, 1998 5:00 PM
          >
          > From: "HappyShel" <happy@...>
          >
          > Happy New Year to all:
          >
          > Thank you for JOINING our new Djembe-l e-list.
          >
          > I appreciate your support and commitment to those who have volunteered to
          > assist the List in the forthcoming 34 days as we settle on our new
          format.

          > I have received several posts suggesting that the name be changed from
          > djembe-l to various other names.
          >
          > Personally, I like the name djembe-l - it keeps my life simple. However,
          > am only one voice. How do you all like the name? Is it OK to keep the
          > name, djembe-l or shall we change it?
          >
          > Peace,
          > Happy

        • Chris Armstrong
          Message 4 of 8 , Dec 27, 1998
            At 04:00 PM 12/27/98 -0600, you wrote:

            >Is it OK to keep the
            >name, djembe-l or shall we change it?

            It's not a terribly big deal to me but it does seem a bit odd to name your
            new list the exact same name as an already existing list (which may
            continue to exist after Steve relinquishes ownership.) It's a different
            list, with a different focus and different rules.

            CA
          • Robert Feuer
            Message 5 of 8 , Dec 27, 1998
              HappyShel wrote:

              > From: "HappyShel" <happy@...>
              >
              > Happy New Year to all:
              >
              > Thank you for JOINING our new Djembe-l e-list.
              >
              > I appreciate your support and commitment to those who have volunteered to
              > assist the List in the forthcoming 34 days as we settle on our new format.
              >
              > I have received several posts suggesting that the name be changed from
              > djembe-l to various other names.
              >
              > Personally, I like the name djembe-l - it keeps my life simple. However, I
              > am only one voice. How do you all like the name? Is it OK to keep the
              > name, djembe-l or shall we change it?
              >
              > Peace,
              > Happy
              SNIP>

              Hi Happy, I'm happy, too. Thanks to you and to R for shouldering the
              moderation chores. If you get overloaded, I'll lend a hand. I kind of
              like it over here. There's like, less static on the line. Neat space
              you've found for us, and we even get to keep our own name and identity.
              I wouldn't give that up for the fundamentalists rattling around the
              internet's mail list corridors. I like the plan, and the spirit. Just
              how many times a month do you think an abusive poster will get their
              mail opened on djembe-l. Or for that matter it neen't even register on
              your inbox. If you know how to set up your own mail preferences. My
              guess is maybe once or twice at your inbox, and never twice posted to
              the new djembe-l. Now how many hundreds of thousands of email accounts
              are there on this planet which disagree with our continued use of
              djembe-l. Realistically, are there even twenty emailers who object? How
              long will it take to permanently dismiss their concerns and be on our
              own peaceful way? Bravo Happy.

              Though he may not be switched over, I just want to take a moment here
              to lay grace upon our shephard, Steve Tierra. And even if Steve never
              comes on board this new phase in djembe-l's evolution, it must be stated
              here at these new beginings, that we can only give thanks and praise for
              the guidance and dedication we have all received for a major part of
              djembe-l's history from Doc Firma. He's held tissues over our noses, and
              made us blow. He's taken our temperature many times a week. He's done
              his absolute best to keep our gardens in white gourd blossoms, all
              Summer long. He has shared much of his joy of drumming with all of us,
              and he has even had to send some of us to bed early and without any
              supper. But the Good Doc has never forced one person to be other than a
              good and worthy contributor to djembe-l.

              I for one, want to encourage and welcome Doc to come join us as we trot
              on down the 1999 road together. I want to be joined by every one of us
              in offering our thanks, our praise, and our common desire to have Doc be
              an ongoing member, emeritus. And without regard for what ever Steve
              Tierra choses to do with his time in 1999; may the great bird of
              paradise fly up his nose. All happiness and success to Steve Tierra.

              Bob.
            • R Clark
              Message 6 of 8 , Dec 27, 1998
                Hail Bob,

                > I for one, want to encourage and welcome Doc to come join us as we trot
                > on down the 1999 road together. I want to be joined by every one of us
                > in offering our thanks, our praise, and our common desire to have Doc be
                > an ongoing member, emeritus. And without regard for what ever Steve
                > Tierra choses to do with his time in 1999; may the great bird of
                > paradise fly up his nose. All happiness and success to Steve Tierra.

                I don't do me 2's... so HEAR HEAR.

              • Bones45991@aol.com
                Message 7 of 8 , Dec 28, 1998
                  >I have received several posts suggesting that the name be changed from
                  >djembe-l to various other names.

                  >Personally, I like the name djembe-l - it keeps my life simple. However, I
                  >am only one voice. How do you all like the name? Is it OK to keep the
                  >name, djembe-l or shall we change it?

                  The "Toyota dealer" has other vehicles than just Toyota's. The
                  "York Steak House" has more than just steaks. The grocery store has more than
                  just groceries. The "Guitar Center" has other instruments besides guitars.
                  I say keep the Djembe-l name.

                  Dan
                • Janet Planet
                  Message 8 of 8 , Dec 28, 1998
                    Hi Everyone,

                    Thanks for taking the initiative on doing this Happy. Good luck to you, it
                    seems a thankless job, but I know you have the right attitude.

                    Ditto what Dan says below...

                    --Janet