Open 3D Print Blog from the University of Washington

  • vrsculptor@hotmail.com
    Message 1 of 18 , Oct 29, 2009
      Very nice. Had not seen it mentioned. Found it by accident.

      <http://open3dp.me.washington.edu/>

      Roger
    • howdieyall
      Message 2 of 18 , Oct 29, 2009
        Great find! Thanks Roger.

      • ganter2@comcast.net
        Message 3 of 18 , Oct 30, 2009
          Dear All,  We thank you for the kind words.   We ARE part of your DIY group.  We have helped
          and provided information as many times as possible to assist.    As I've stated several times before,
          we are excited about this DIY effort (we have had several groups of students work on personal 3D
          printers).   Please keep up the great work and remember to support.    We will continue to post
          information out of our lab on open3dp.    Cheers ....M

          Message 4 of 18 , Oct 30, 2009
            So, what should we expect then? a free open source 3d printer?
            If so I wont bother making new pcb boards and firmware as the one I'm using is working fine.

            Chears
            Fogassa

            --- In diy_3d_printing_and_fabrication@yahoogroups.com, ganter2@... wrote:

            > Dear All, We thank you for the kind words. We ARE part of your DIY group. We have helped
            > and provided information as many times as possible to assist. As I've stated several times before,
            > we are excited about this DIY effort (we have had several groups of students work on personal 3D
            > printers). Please keep up the great work and remember to support. We will continue to post
            > information out of our lab on open3dp. Cheers ....M

          • Kevin Hawkinson
            Message 5 of 18 , Oct 30, 2009
              They've kind of given up on trying to develop actual hardware.
              Mostly because you are doing such an awesome job.

              -Kevin H

              Message 6 of 18 , Oct 30, 2009
                OK, I'm not going to waist my time on this anymore,I'll just wait someone else to come up with a free firmware, pcb, hardware and everything else.
                I'll spent my time on printing parts :-)

                --- In diy_3d_printing_and_fabrication@yahoogroups.com, Kevin Hawkinson <khawki02@...> wrote:

                > They've kind of given up on trying to develop actual hardware.
                > Mostly because you are doing such an awesome job.
                >
                > -Kevin H
                >
                > On Fri, Oct 30, 2009 at 12:30 PM, afogassa <afogassa@...> wrote:
                >

                > > So, what should we expect then? a free open source 3d printer?
                > > If so I wont bother making new pcb boards and firmware as the one I'm using
                > > is working fine.
                > >
                > > Chears
                > > Fogassa
                > >
                > > --- In diy_3d_printing_and_fabrication@yahoogroups.com<diy_3d_printing_and_fabrication%40yahoogroups.com>,
                > > ganter2@ wrote:
                > > >
                > > > Dear All, We thank you for the kind words. We ARE part of your DIY group.
                > > We have helped
                > > > and provided information as many times as possible to assist. As I've
                > > stated several times before,
                > > > we are excited about this DIY effort (we have had several groups of
                > > students work on personal 3D
                > > > printers). Please keep up the great work and remember to support. We will
                > > continue to post
                > > > information out of our lab on open3dp. Cheers ....M

              • Jack
                Message 7 of 18 , Oct 30, 2009
                  Just a thought, but if folks that can do chings just choosing to 'wait
                  for others to do it',
                  may find some things 'never' get done.

                  Some of us don't have the tallents or tools, so our choice is
                  to 'wait'.

                  I am not dissing anyone, just reminding us all of the basis of open
                  source projects.

                  ><> ... Jack
                • Kevin Hawkinson
                  Message 8 of 18 , Oct 30, 2009
                    My point was that you are NOT wasting your time if you are developing the stuff.

                    -KevinH

                    Message 9 of 18 , Oct 30, 2009
                      I don't, I've got it working.the code and schematic is free as is everything else.
                      it can and should be improved and this I'll let for the group to do it
                      based on the FREE open source mantra.

                      Fogassa.

                      Message 10 of 18 , Oct 30, 2009
                        No harm done Kevin, I'm just tired of it. I was going to work on a new pcb board to make it easyer for someone to change the parameters to suit their hardware.
                        I've it working just fine the way it's so it does not make any sense to develop a new board for my own use. The only difference from the code I'm using now and the code that was posted here is that I've added acceleration/decelaration to the motors.
                        I'll up load the new code this weekend after adding the necessary comments to it.

                      • j
                        Message 11 of 18 , Oct 31, 2009
                          --- In diy_3d_printing_and_fabrication@yahoogroups.com, "afogassa" <afogassa@...> wrote:

                          > "No harm done Kevin, I'm just tired of it. I was going to work on a new pcb board to make it easier for someone to change the parameters to suit their hardware."

                          I am probably sticking my nose in where it doesn't belong...BUT, [there's always a 'but'...] Different people have different strengths. Sure, there are always people that sit back and let someone else do all the work...for everyone of those, there are hundreds that find it very difficult to do just one or two parts of a project and have to wait until there is clear, concise instructions in order to complete that part of a given project.

                          Myself, even after going back to school in an attempt to learn electronics and programming, failed miserably at both. I just couldn't wrap my head around most of the details. Metal and mechanical things represented no problems. I have constructed several CNC machines including two 5 axis units of my own design but had to rely on others for the electronics in order for them to work. Some things come very easy to some while the same is difficult for others.

                          The point being that it may be necessary for some people to wait until that particular part of the project is understood or completed before continuing on...

                          I have a great respect for you and what you have accomplished. Not too long ago, what you have done was considered near impressible.
                          Message 12 of 18 , Oct 31, 2009
                            --- In diy_3d_printing_and_fabrication@yahoogroups.com, "j" <jnetherland@...> wrote:

                            > --- In diy_3d_printing_and_fabrication@yahoogroups.com, "afogassa" <afogassa@> wrote:
                            > >
                            > > "No harm done Kevin, I'm just tired of it. I was going to work on a new pcb board to make it easier for someone to change the parameters to suit their hardware."
                            >
                            > I am probably sticking my nose in where it doesn't belong...BUT, [there's always a 'but'...] Different people have different strengths. Sure, there are always people that sit back and let someone else do all the work...for everyone of those, there are hundreds that find it very difficult to do just one or two parts of a project and have to wait until there is clear, concise instructions in order to complete that part of a given project.
                            >
                            > Myself, even after going back to school in an attempt to learn electronics and programming, failed miserably at both. I just couldn't wrap my head around most of the details. Metal and mechanical things represented no problems. I have constructed several CNC machines including two 5 axis units of my own design but had to rely on others for the electronics in order for them to work. Some things come very easy to some while the same is difficult for others.
                            >
                            > The point being that it may be necessary for some people to wait until that particular part of the project is understood or completed before continuing on...
                            >
                            > I have a great respect for you and what you have accomplished. Not too long ago, what you have done was considered near impressible.

                            Thank's,
                            I'll sit back and wait to see if someone else comes up with a detailed alternative for free. I know there is many people on this group that knows much much more then I do in electronics and microprocessor. After all i've download a demo copy of bascom, made my own board, and learned to programm by mylself in a short time becouse there is no FREE OPTION and I don't do it as full time job. shure I let some of the magic smoke to scape sometimes but is part of the learning processes.
                            I know there is people on this group that knows much more then I do, including the powder secret(got some e-mails) but looks like no one comes up with something about it first and post it here. they always wait till I post to add a little note like "I do this way or that way".that's why I was going to charge a small fee to make the new board "but" as I sayd the one I've works fine for my own use, ther is few bugs on the code like if asking to move back more then what I've set it will roll over but it's just perfect for what I've now and I can let the way it is and not spend another 24 hours and losse the other half of my hair trying to fix something that does'nt bothers me.
                            I'm trying to draw a new schematic for the current project to upload but my cad pcb software sucks for doing that and my skill on coreldraw is even worst(I hate corel)
                            besides doing lot's of 3d drawings in rhinoceros,solidworks,powershape and so on I find that corel sucks to draw a simple 2d.
                            So Let's start to rub that genius lamp to see who come out of it.
                            Anyone?
                          • ganter2@comcast.net
                            Message 13 of 18 , Oct 31, 2009
                              Dear All,

                              If this exact type of craziness continues, then I suggest the group be closed and
                              halted.

                              In my last post, I asked people to support each other, but I guess you would rather
                              flame each other.

                              As I've said multiple times here and in other forums,  Fogassa has done an amazing job!
                              He was THE first to have an open 3D printer.   We got interested in this group because of his
                              work.   He has a working system.   Rather than trying to re-invent, wouldn't it be better to try
                              and help him?

                              I've had several emails exchanges with Fogassa and we have offered to keep developing
                              powder/binder systems as we are set up to do just that.   We have a variety of materials available.
                              We will attempt as much as possible to keep publishing them for free (or at least free use for hobbyists).

                              For a variety of reasons, this forum is not the right place for such publications (for us, it has to do with what
                              our legal council requests).   Fogassa himself created him own space.   Sometimes it's just easier (less
                              hassle in posting pics, code, etc).

                              Rather than flaming let's get on with creating open 3DP systems.   If not, then let's all use Makerbot, or Fab@Home or
                              RepRap.    .....M
                              Message 14 of 18 , Oct 31, 2009
                                Good point, don't be afraid of letting the magic smoke comes out of it, I wish more people could colaborate with this project and just not wait till someone come up with a easy solution for free.
                                I've shared what I've found to help others to build their own truly open source 3d printer and as i've sayd before not to do a business developing group.
                                I could upload the stepdrives pcb but since it uses the allegro plcc 44 a3977 chip it's almost impossible to make the board at home.
                                I had to send it out make the photoplot and boards.it would cost too much to make it here in Brazil and sale it,instead I sujest you guys to buy a ready made one in USA it's much cheaper then trying to build your own.
                                As for the controller board it's not that hard to know how it works.
                                it's just a step direction output and an easy way to change the parameters like using a lcd, this way one does not need to download BASCOM to make the changes.
                                If someone needs a better explanation on how it works let me know.

                                --- In diy_3d_printing_and_fabrication@yahoogroups.com, ganter2@... wrote:

                                > Dear All,
                                >
                                > If this exact type of craziness continues, then I suggest the group be closed and
                                > halted.
                                >
                                > In my last post, I asked people to support each other, but I guess you would rather
                                > flame each other.
                                >
                                > As I've said multiple times here and in other forums, Fogassa has done an amazing job!
                                > He was THE first to have an open 3D printer. We got interested in this group because of his
                                > work. He has a working system. Rather than trying to re-invent, wouldn't it be better to try
                                > and help him?
                                >
                                > I've had several emails exchanges with Fogassa and we have offered to keep developing
                                > powder/binder systems as we are set up to do just that. We have a variety of materials available.
                                > We will attempt as much as possible to keep publishing them for free (or at least free use for hobbyists).
                                >
                                > For a variety of reasons, this forum is not the right place for such publications (for us, it has to do with what
                                > our legal council requests). Fogassa himself created him own space. Sometimes it's just easier (less
                                > hassle in posting pics, code, etc).
                                >
                                > Rather than flaming let's get on with creating open 3DP systems. If not, then let's all use Makerbot, or Fab@Home or
                                > RepRap. .....M

                              • Jon Elson
                                Message 15 of 18 , Oct 31, 2009
                                  afogassa wrote:
                                  > Thank's,
                                  > I'll sit back and wait to see if someone else comes up with a detailed alternative for free.
                                  I make a line of products for CNC motion control, specifically hardware
                                  controllers to make faster step
                                  pulses and also controllers and drives for servo motors. I have found
                                  out, over about a decade, that most
                                  of the people who have a hobby-level interest in this are REALLY REALLY
                                  cheap. Maybe not in all
                                  aspects, but in purchases for this hobby stuff. So, some guys will
                                  spend a year or more tinkering with
                                  transistors and chips rather than buy a commercial stepper drive that
                                  has microstepping and resonance
                                  damping and will perform light years better than what they could ever
                                  build. They eventually just abandon
                                  the project, or finally realize that a Gecko or Xylotex drive is
                                  actually a VERY good deal and just buy what
                                  they need. There are people who are in a position to buy what they want
                                  and will do it, but they can actually
                                  be somewhat rare.

                                  Some of these topics have come up from time to time on
                                  rec.crafts.metalworking and other lists, such as the
                                  trials of John Kleinbauer (crankorgan) who made a cute little desktop
                                  router and tried to make a living selling
                                  plans. If you haven't read his story, you might google that name and
                                  see if some of his trials show up.

                                  It can be a bit hard for a commercial enterprise to compete when
                                  University researchers publish all the secrets.

                                  Message 16 of 18 , Oct 31, 2009
                                    I agree, the problem is we have over 700 people on the group, maybe 25% of it is just thinking in way to make money from what they see here,25% might have a zcorp and is just following it to find a cheaper powder solution, 25% is just waiting for a complete set of free everything, 15% is trying to do it but won't share it's finds,6% is just watching where it will end.now that's 96% what happen to the other 4%? that is John,fogassa,Paulo and Rai.University does'nt count :-) as they can sale information as MIT did to be patented by some money suckers.how about robo something? easy affordable open source for 2500 bucks?
                                    I would never pay 26K for a machine that makes plaster models but building my own for about 1K looks like just the right price.not counting the cheaper build material.
                                    And yes I think University researchers should publish all the secrets as it's run by tax payers money and should not sale information to private companies.This is my point of view others might think different.
                                    Yes gecko works as does rutex and many others,but there is more then just a motor driver to make a really good and accurate cnc machine.
                                    Yes I agree that's is getting harder to make a living out cnc machines making it or using it.that's why I've started working on the 3d printer, I will get rich selling plans LOL!

                                    --- In diy_3d_printing_and_fabrication@yahoogroups.com, Jon Elson <elson@...> wrote:

                                    > afogassa wrote:
                                    > > Thank's,
                                    > > I'll sit back and wait to see if someone else comes up with a detailed alternative for free.
                                    > I make a line of products for CNC motion control, specifically hardware
                                    > controllers to make faster step
                                    > pulses and also controllers and drives for servo motors. I have found
                                    > out, over about a decade, that most
                                    > of the people who have a hobby-level interest in this are REALLY REALLY
                                    > cheap. Maybe not in all
                                    > aspects, but in purchases for this hobby stuff. So, some guys will
                                    > spend a year or more tinkering with
                                    > transistors and chips rather than buy a commercial stepper drive that
                                    > has microstepping and resonance
                                    > damping and will perform light years better than what they could ever
                                    > build. They eventually just abandon
                                    > the project, or finally realize that a Gecko or Xylotex drive is
                                    > actually a VERY good deal and just buy what
                                    > they need. There are people who are in a position to buy what they want
                                    > and will do it, but they can actually
                                    > be somewhat rare.
                                    >
                                    > Some of these topics have come up from time to time on
                                    > rec.crafts.metalworking and other lists, such as the
                                    > trials of John Kleinbauer (crankorgan) who made a cute little desktop
                                    > router and tried to make a living selling
                                    > plans. If you haven't read his story, you might google that name and
                                    > see if some of his trials show up.
                                    >
                                    > It can be a bit hard for a commercial enterprise to compete when
                                    > University researchers publish all the secrets.
                                    >
                                    > Jon

                                  • Gary Corlew
                                    Message 17 of 18 , Nov 1, 2009

                                      I agree with this 100% I have bought a few books on learning electronics and I just don’t seem to be able to learn it. I once bought 2 uhu servo controller board kits, I put it together to the best of my ability. I then took a picture of it and sent it to the person I had bought them from and he said I did a great job on it. I was feeling very confidant at that point so I followed the instructions for powering it up and doing the testing, everything checked out so I hooked one of my motors up and put 12 volts to it, connected to the on board software, set the parameters and commanded the motors to move and everything seemed fine. I then hooked up the power supply I planned to use on it(75 volts) plugged it in. It instantly went into sparks and flames, not a good situation in my garage while I had it sitting on my mdf topped cnc router(and my wife standing there watching the process!). The boards were supposed to handle 80 volts.

                                      Message 18 of 18 , Nov 1, 2009
                                        I had to replace the chip on my first board bought as kit 6 times. many years ago. and I still do it this days sometimes. last week I had to replace the allegro chip that smoke becouse of a motor's wire short it did run for 5 years ok though.