converting inkjet printer into 3D printer

  • Karthik Gunasekar
    Message 1 of 7 , Jun 4, 2014

      Hello This is Karthik from India. I am working on converting an inkjet printer (HP deskjet D1460) into a 3D printer. My idea is to refill a empty cartridge with water which acts as a binder to bind starch or plaster of paris powders. I have removed the paper feed mechanism , I want to know how to hack the printer so that it doesnot show the message of "Paper Jam". Also i want to fake the sensor that paper is feed. If anyone have any idea or links on how to go about this please help.

      Message 2 of 7 , Jun 4, 2014
        Having done this myself for different printers I recommend not modifying the printer until you understand how it works. Then modify it step my step.

        Unless the paper feed sensor is triggered when the printer expects it to be triggered it will say paper jam. You can solve this problem electrically or mechanically. The mechanical solution is to make whatever moves (your gantry) trigger the paper pick up sensor. You gantry must move when the paper moved originally.

        Or you trigger the paper pick up sensor electronically at the right time, this is why you should not take the printer to pieces as it is easier to find this point with a working printer.

        The HP printers are hard to convert because the feed motor also operates the head cleaner, this means does many rotations that you do not want.

        Graham

        On Wed, Jun 4, 2014 at 3:29 PM, Karthik Gunasekar gkarthiknitt13@... [diy_3d_printing_and_fabrication] <diy_3d_printing_and_fabrication@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

        Hello This is Karthik from India. I am working on converting an inkjet printer (HP deskjet D1460) into a 3D printer. My idea is to refill a empty cartridge with water which acts as a binder to bind starch or plaster of paris powders. I have removed the paper feed mechanism , I want to know how to hack the printer so that it doesnot show the message of "Paper Jam". Also i want to fake the sensor that paper is feed. If anyone have any idea or links on how to go about this please help.

      • raiorz
        Message 3 of 7 , Jun 5, 2014

          @Karthik, it is very simple to hack a HP Desktop with DC motors and encoder.
          You dont need a microcontroller nor step or other motor, you just need one single ralais (with multiple contacts) and two endswitchs.

          The trick is this:
          Remove the original HP paper feed motor-gearbox-encoder-unit, mount it on a new, fix position at the (not moving) frame of your 3D printer and connect a belden drive to move the printer-unit, like this:

          http://s551.photobucket.com/user/rai3dp/media/homemade3DP/Bild110_800x800_100KB.jpg.html

          The belden drive gear should have the same translation like the original gear to have the same "paper" moving translation (if not you must scale your image).
          This unit will move the printer unit back and forth, only with the original printer electronic...

          To do this, you must remove the paper sensor from the original place.
          I remove it to a place that it can "read" a "paper size long" plastic angle profile mounted on the back wall of my printer.
          Also i mount 2 end-switches at the same back wall, one as a ON contact at the end position and one as a OFF contact at the start position.
          Here you can see (on the right side) one end switch (end position) and the white plastic-angle-profile:

          http://s551.photobucket.com/user/rai3dp/media/homemade3DP/Bild031_800x800_100KB.jpg.html

          http://s551.photobucket.com/user/rai3dp/media/homemade3DP/Bild020_800x800_100KB.jpg.html

          The relais must have multiple (change over) contacts.
          The ON end switch at end position switch the relay on, and with one contact of the relais it hold, till the OFF switch at start position is achieved.
          (With another contact of the relay you can switch the roller drive on.)
          The other contacts are for switching the printer-drive backward. This need 4 (change over) contacts:
          One pair to interchange the two motor cables, to reverse the direction of rotation.
          The other pair
          interchange the two outputs of the rotation encoder.
          This means that not only the motor rotation direction changed, also the the encoder output direction change, so the original printer driver "
          believes" that there is no direction changes.

          To do a full printing prozess of one layer i send (at least) two pages to the printer:
          First the image of the printed part (this is the original,
          forth, printing direction), than just a blank page (this is the back moving direction)
          (for more ink, i print the same layer 2 times).

          I have fond that most HP printes have round 100mm movement before the page begin, and another round 100mm at the end of a page.
          So my 3d printer have space before and behind the print bed.

          With this described hack my printer do this after i send a image page ( plus a blank page):
          Before the printer start printing it move forward. After round 120mm it "see" a plastic angle profile and "think" this is paper.
          So it have a syc. ponit and print the image each time from same start position.
          At the end of the powder platform, also the angle profile ended and the printer "think" paper ended.
          From this point the printer run normaly another round 100mm before it would stop.
          But it dont stop, because there is my second, blank page.
          So the printer go on (think it have a new, blank paper), but..., in the meantime it reached the end-switch.
          This end switch switch the relay on and from this point the printer run backward.
          Also this time the roller drive run (for powder) untill the printer is in home position, where the start switch is and the printer stop while he "only think" the
          second page is finish.

          Note: while the relais is switches the printer electronic can / will lost some encoder pulses, but wherever, after that the paper sensor "see" the angle profile and so it have a new sync point.

          Other topict, head cleaning:
          You should have the whole head cleaning unit at original place. It mean that the whole cleaning unit will move with the printer unit.
          Behind the build chamber is space for it. In this way cleaning procedure will work in all cases.

          I hope this will help a little,

          Ray

          PS: I have a very big problem with this Yahoo group webside. I wrote more posts with descriptions of my 3D printers here, i think it was early 2009.
          And now i played around 2 hours, but for me it is impossible to search, find and view this webside in a usefull way. Thats the reason why i dont write anymore here...
          Message 4 of 7 , Jun 5, 2014

            On Thu, Jun 5, 2014 at 11:48 AM, raiorz@... [diy_3d_printing_and_fabrication] <diy_3d_printing_and_fabrication@yahoogroups.com> wrote:
             @Karthik, it is very simple to hack a HP Desktop with DC motors and encoder.

            You dont need a microcontroller nor step or other motor, you just need one single ralais (with multiple contacts) and two endswitchs.

            Does this not require a printer with a separate head cleaning motor?

            Great job BTW, you got further than me.

            PS: I have a very big problem with this Yahoo group webside. I wrote more posts with descriptions of my 3D printers here, i think it was early 2009. And now i played around 2 hours, but for me it is impossible to search, find and view this webside in a usefull way. Thats the reason why i dont write anymore here...

            To search you now go to the group webpage, at that point the main search box at the top no longer searches for groups but instead searches within the group you are viewing. It's stupid but that's how it works.

            Graham
          • raiorz
            Message 5 of 7 , Jun 5, 2014

              Ok, all hp printer models i used had seperate cleaning motor.
              If the paper feed motor drive also the cleaning station it can be a problem.
              Depending on how the mechanism work, there should be different solutions.

              For the 3d printer in my photo link, i remove the cleaning station, because at that time i played with light sticky ink an used cleaning only by spout and cleaning by hand after printing.

              Ray

              PS: thank you for the search tip
              Message 6 of 7 , Jun 5, 2014
                Yeah, the cheap printers are harder to convert as they try to have as few motors as possible. It is the same for the Epson printers which fault if the drive motor does not feel the load of the cleaning station it seems.

                The printer I converted did not have a separate motor which is why I used the stepper motor solution. I tried before but the travel when cleaning the head was very large.

                Cheers,

                Graham

                On Thu, Jun 5, 2014 at 12:27 PM, raiorz@... [diy_3d_printing_and_fabrication] <diy_3d_printing_and_fabrication@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

                Ok, all hp printer models i used had seperate cleaning motor.
                If the paper feed motor drive also the cleaning station it can be a problem.
                Depending on how the mechanism work, there should be different solutions.

                For the 3d printer in my photo link, i remove the cleaning station, because at that time i played with light sticky ink an used cleaning only by spout and cleaning by hand after printing.

                Ray

                PS: thank you for the search tip

                __._,_._

              • Ben Mahony
                Message 7 of 7 , Jun 5, 2014

                  I got luck and found a printer years ago that had one motor, it would spin one  way to feed paper from the storage stack, then when it triggered a sensor it would spin the motor  the other way to drive the accurate paperfeed roller while printing.  So it just worked out of the box! It would drive the gantry back to the start, trigger a sensor then drive slow forward while printing! Repeat.

                  The only issues is when I made the travel full a4 length it would time out driving back looking for the next sheet but it was easy in software to say I had reloaded the paper hopper try again.  Or just make the working area shorter.  So easy.  All worked in the end but could never get a good surface when spreading the plasters/ malto mix. Tried spinning spreader bar, different speeds and directions,  different diameters and surface finishes.  Gave up in the end.
                  Ben

                  Ps I can not remember model of printer but thinking epson maybe.
                  It had wifi....