Top down method question

  • 46e71cd0cce87b12951691bd9ce7a144
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 17, 2013
      Hi

      I started reading up on DLP 3D printers and I have been wondering what the best way would be to determine the layer height of layer number 1?

      The user might fill the vat just not right and since layer heights are 0.1mm or less it is easy to make a mistake like that.  I would assume the way to do it is to overfill the vat of resin so that when the Z carriage goes into the vat it will start at the correct height.  Just the problem is the vat will over flow so there needs to be a catchment area.

      Is a wiper really needed for the top down method?
      Message 2 of 2 , Nov 17, 2013
        You need a means of maintaining a certain liquid height either by having a tank that overflows (through a tube) or by using a sensor to maintain a certain layer height.

        The wiper is probably required for thin layers, if you lower the build table into the vat to coat it when you lift it up to a layer thickness beneath the surface you may lift the surface of the liquid higher than you want because of surface tension. Less of a problem with lower viscosity resins.

        Cheers,

        Graham