Re: [diy_3d_printing_and_fabrication] Highest DIY XY resolution ?

  • Jon Elson
    Message 1 of 87 , Oct 3, 2013
      Reinis Veips wrote:
      > I'm quite new to stereolitography scene but in my opinion, the limiting factor
      > is not the galvos or control electronics- it's the laser optics. Most of the
      > DIY printers I've seen use laser diodes which do not output a truly collimated
      > beam, so even when focused, the size of point is dependant on distance the beam
      > travels (so the actual focus point is moving along Z axis at different XY
      > positions). However, optics is really not my area, so somebody who knows more can
      > chime in.

      I built a laser photoplotter years ago (still use it). I put a sphere
      lens (either 2 or 3 mm
      diameter) right in front of the laser diode, then a pinhole in aluminum
      foil, then
      a double-concave lens and then used a microfiche objective lens to focus
      on the film.
      I get a nice gaussian .001" spot (25 um) and could make it smaller
      pretty easily,
      but actually defocus slightly to make the .001" raster lines merge.

      Jon
    • pjotr_du_mat
      Message 87 of 87 , Nov 18 9:56 AM

        FYI

        ·           F-theta lens, 405nm, STS-0580/173, (US)$ 4733 each

        Is that a lot ?  Not if one is able to build large objects fast and accurate, I think.

        What other expensive (new) elements a printer requires, when (re)using parts of the HP LaserJet ?

        ---In diy_3d_printing_and_fabrication@yahoogroups.com, <rm@...> wrote:

        Ah, was looking for that !  Tnx !

        ---In diy_3d_printing_and_fabrication@yahoogroups.com, <grezmos@...> wrote:

        The lower video is fairly good: