RE: [diy_3d_printing_and_fabrication] Re: RepRap nozzle improvements

  • Boman33
    Message 1 of 43 , Sep 16, 2009

      Regarding the Dimension materials.  There are actually two types:

      The actual construction material:  The typical price quoted by Dimension was approximately $4.00/cubic inch ($0.25 /cubic cm).   For example, the last time I bought bulk ABS flat sheet I paid $0.05/ cubic inch.

      What is the typical cost of ABS strings used by hobbyists?

      The water soluble support material:  I do not know what it is and the cost.

      I can live with the Dimension prices for material but to make it attractive to everyone lower cost should be found.  I do not know if Dimension will sell the material independently of the machines.  I do not want to ask since that might worry the sales people of my possible customer status.

      Yes, my CNC milling machine is sitting unused 99% of the time so it could easily be used part time for 3D printing.  As was previously commented in a post about the “cost of machine time” that is true in a production machine shop but there are lots of machines used in other places and by hobbyists that often are unused.

      Bertho

       ===============

      From:  raiorz   Sent: Wednesday, September 16, 2009 07:13

      > There are a lot of people out there that already have a CNC mill or
      router.
      > So that is essentially free to those users.

      Exact! And each owner of CNC mill´s change tools for different works. So it´s nothing else if they use "hot nozzles" for some kinds of other works...

      > I got the impression that the support material was similar to the plastic
      > and extruded in a similar way. I do not know what material it is and I
      have
      > not heard about water soluble plastic. Apparently they put the part in a
      > "dishwasher" and an hour later the support material has
      dissolved. Do you
      > know what material it is?

      Why not useing the original Dimension material? Its sheap you know the results.

      > Another way to see it: If I could go out and buy a $1000 head and hook it
      > up to my CNC and load up some open source software and have the quality of
      > the Dimension printer it would be a bargain.

      In the past i do a lot of research for 3D printing methods. The original idea behind Dimension is very old, so it is no longer patented. That make it easyer to talk about details.
      I remember, i found some companys with those heating heads. Maybe we found out who made and sell the original part for Dimension printers (like i do it for EOS SLS 3D printers: For this printers i found the source for all original laser related parts)

      > To me a quality of the end product is critical.

      Exact, for me too. And i dont like to play with toy tools (You know what i mean).
      Thats why i start with a powder 3D printer, using the same inkheads and materials like z-corp and go on with the SLS idea.

      But in the meantime a "hot nozzle" CNC solution can be a good "next step". So lets go ahead with this idea.

      Rai

    • Jon Elson
      Message 43 of 43 , Sep 19, 2009
        buzz wrote:

        > > EMC2 can output to parallel, or serial, or USB or whatever.
        > No, EMC2 can produce software-generated step pulses on the parallel
        > port, or use a variety of step pulse accelerators
        > and/or servo interfaces in PCI slots or on the parallel port. I don't
        > know of any serial interface or USB for motion control,
        > that works with EMC2.
        >
        > Perhaps then you are unfamiliar with the EMC2 system where you write a
        > script to represent a code ( in my case a number of M-codes ), and put
        > it in the right folder. When EMC2 comes across the code in a run, it
        > executes the script to get the action taken. My my case, these
        > script/s forward ( pr perhahs pass-through is a better word ) the (M)
        > code out to the (virtual) serial port via USB. Then the device at the
        > end of the serial/USB ( which was my arduino ) , would then us it's
        > own G/M code interpreter to execute the desired action from firmware.
        >
        > With a simple (and identical) pass-through script for every code to
        > just pass-through the code to serial /USB, then it no longer needed
        > the parallel port at all, and you've just upgraded your EMC2 to
        > support USB. :-)
        OK, the confusion here is that I thought the "output to .... whatever"
        meant MOTION control commands.
        I think what I said DOES apply in that case. If you want to do
        AUXILLIARY operations, such as start
        non-axis motors, valves, lasers, extruders, etc. then you can do nearly
        anything, and it is performed at
        the user level, not the real-time level, so you don't need a special
        real time module to handle it.
        BUT, that also means that it is not precisely sync'ed to the real time
        motion system, and will usually
        cause a hitch in the motion to attempt to sync the two.

        There is a special case where certain I/O commands can be done through
        the RT side of EMC which DON'T
        cause the hitch. It all has to be RT for it to be tightly synched.
        Anything that you can do through a HAL
        pin can be done this way, but that limits you to what HAL already has
        drivers for.

        I can guarantee that the motion will either pause during your custom
        M-code or that it will not occur at the
        exact time it is written in the G-code, ie. exactly between two moves,
        since it is not handled by the RT
        side of EMC. That may be totally insignificant to you. Some people
        have had major fits over it, as they
        needed to turn a laser on/off or modulate laser power where the axes are
        moving very fast. Any time
        error in the aux command puts the start and end of the cut in the wrong
        place.