Re: Resin

  • bobgarrish
    Message 1 of 13 , Aug 23, 2013
      --- In diy_3d_printing_and_fabrication@yahoogroups.com, "afogassa" <afogassa@...> wrote:

      > photoinitiator acts like a catalist to harden the resin right?
      > why not sell just the photoinitiator and we can get the resin locally?
      > epoxy resin looks much better than the acrylic ones the shrink rate is lower and it is stronger.

      Not all resins are the same. The photoinitiators that work on acrylates and esters don't work on epoxies. A company called Solarez makes a UV curable epoxy, but that's the extent of what I know about it.

      You can buy vinyl ester and polyester resins off the shelf at any marine store, but they have strong smells unlike the acrylates used in commercial 3D printing resins. The photoinitiator in nearly all 3D printing resins is BAPO, and you can find it online easily enough.

      What Danny's offering is a specific mix of 'resins' that don't smell bad, with a BAPO photoinitiator or something of similar performance.

      If all "distributors" get is a bulk discount, but still need to buy the stuff from Europe, you might as well just put up a price-list indicating those discounts and let people sort it out. Giving distributors geographic monopolies is the usual trick, but you're also asking them to put up the money up front like a retailer.

      Licensing the recipe would allow better prices outside Europe, as would open sourcing it, because people could mix up their own and skip all the export and import taxes. On the other hand, it'd be hard to enforce the licensing agreement if the licensee went rogue, and open source wouldn't make any money.