Re: Affordable dlp resin

  • torben.mogensen@ymail.com
    Message 1 of 31 , Aug 23, 2013
      Hi all,

      I think I can shed some light on the right price of resin.
      UV reactive resin are actually produced in huge quantities for the furniture industry since the 90's
      Most panel furniture you see at ie Ikea is actually finished with UV resin, because it is one of the most competitive ways to give panels a nice finish.

      I'm no expert on the chemistry, but as far as price goes, the base materials and technology is exatly the same. Monomer of some kind, photoinitiator and your pigments.
      I used to buy UV resin, normally 3-500 kg/batch of different colours and I spend a lot of time getting the best price. This business is quite competitive and sales reps battled to get your business.

      Usually the resin is tweaked to fit your needs for rolling, spraying and your UV lamp setup.
      Prices ranges from 10-20 EUR/kg, clear being the cheapest and solid white being most expensive.
      Now, these prices are a few years old, but I don't believe the have moved must.

      For distribution of 1kg bottles its properly fair to assume the price for 1kg of clear resin will eventually end up around 25 EUR + freight + VAT.
      The reason it is not 25 EUR, is only the lack of volume, for these companies to engage.
      I have visited their production plants several time and they have a huge expertise, but 1-off orders of 100kg simply makes no sense to them.

      And the road to volume is lots of printers consuming resin, and the way to achieve that is to have a
      good price, fast and reliable printer available - and in my opinion that is still missing.

      And btw - this forum have gone very quite - where did you all go?

      Message 31 of 31 , Aug 30, 2013
        The way to circumvent VAT is by shipping from a person to person as a gift and declare a lower amount on the CN22/CN71 and the like. I do have a company, but prefer the person to person as I'm not taxed and have to account for everything that I purchase or sell. The administrative burden/laws/precautions/regulations is rather high on chemicals/paints/epoxy/resins/UV inks etc.

        There is no point in feeding the machine that declares wars and then all our efforts in printing and resin go into the mouths of blood thirsty idiots and the war machine without even asking us.

        Cheers!
        Peter

        --- In diy_3d_printing_and_fabrication@yahoogroups.com, <grezmos@...> wrote:

        in any case I was simply explaining that small companies will not be able to offer lower prices because they are not VAT registered as the VAT always gets paid. I'm not really sure of the relevance of your saying so I thought I would be silly. I am in the UK, VAT on most food is zero.

        Edible resin is the key!

        Graham

        On 23 Aug 2013, at 23:06, "dlp_builder" <drs_eureka@...> wrote:

        Funny,
        Cant remember from which country you are from, but in the Netherlands we have a low Vat tax on things you can't do without. Milk, bread, loo paper they are the low Vat rate like 6 percent. So even when wipe your a.. you feel f..... By the government....

        Danny