Hi all, just a new guy on the block.

  • dlp_builder
    Message 1 of 9 , Jul 28, 2013
      Hello I'm just another 3D printer enthousiast.

      I have finished my super cheap 3D DLP printer a few months ago. I put
      some pics in my folder for you to see. My printer can be build by anyone
      and for little money. There is lots of room for improvement and I am
      slowly replacing cheap DIY parts by more precise printed parts (Printed
      by my own printer)

      The last 3 months I have been busy developing my own resin. Took me some
      time to polish up my Poly chemical knowledge, but now I'm about
      finished. I have put some pics from some of my prints (STL files I found
      on Thingiverse)
      The primary drive to develop my resin was the price of the ready
      available resin in Europe, and the property drawbacks there are in the
      existing resins. Main problems as you have all experienced, the sticking
      to the glass problem in 'upside down' printers, Bad curing performance
      with unmodified and low wattage DLP projectors. Spending some months on
      the subject and with the help of some profs in the field I have nailed
      most of the problems.
      My printer uses an old E-Bay (marktplaats as we call it here) Infocus X9
      DLP projector which has a 180Watts Bulb. I bought 2 of those in one buy
      for 150 euro's.......
      I have made no modifications to filters or color wheels and lenses. The
      cure time is anywhere between 1 and 4 seconds per layer depending on the
      resolution and color I put in the resin. So I think that is more than
      acceptable.

      Well as you can see I'm seriously involved in the world, nowadays known
      as a 3D world (to my wife's regret.)

      Hope I have introduced myself well enough and look forward to speak to
      you soon!

      DLP_ Builder
    • Walt Lockard
      Message 2 of 9 , Jul 28, 2013

        Hi DLP_Builder,

        Congratulations on completing your 3D DLP printer.  Is it a top-down or a bottom-up configuration?  I’m in the process of putting together a top-down printer, but have a ways to go.  Have you uploaded any of your printed part photos?  Can’t wait to hear more about your printer and resin development.  Thanks for sharing your expertise.

        Best Regards,

        Walt Lockard

        d e s i g n   p r a x i s,   i n c.

        “Your Solution – Our Expertise”

        Message 3 of 9 , Jul 28, 2013
          Hi Walt,

          The Top Down and Bottom up are two diff. configurations which give me headache all the time! everyone has a diff. perspective lol.
          I have made an album with some of the pics. Simple and Cheap is the credo here, but I'm tempted to change the setup to an upside down printer. Just because of the focusing before starting to print and the size of the vat. The sticking problem to the vat is solved,so no fumbling around with with dupont film.
          Nice to hear from you and if you have any questions, don't hesitate to drop a line.

          DLP_Builder

          --- In diy_3d_printing_and_fabrication@yahoogroups.com, "Walt Lockard" <designpraxis@...> wrote:

          > Hi DLP_Builder,
          >

          > Congratulations on completing your 3D DLP printer. Is it a top-down or a
          > bottom-up configuration? I'm in the process of putting together a top-down
          > printer, but have a ways to go. Have you uploaded any of your printed part
          > photos? Can't wait to hear more about your printer and resin development.
          > Thanks for sharing your expertise.
          >

          > Best Regards,
          >

          > Walt Lockard
          >

          > d e s i g n p r a x i s, i n c.
          >
          > "Your Solution - Our Expertise"

        • Marton Bartos
          Message 4 of 9 , Jul 29, 2013
            Hi!

            Welcome and congrats on your DLP printer!
            I am using bottom-up system with teflon foil so i am really curious how you eliminate the sticking problem?
            Did you achieve that by adding a special ingredient to your resin?
            Thanks and good luck with further development!

            Cheers,
            Martin

            The Top Down and Bottom up are two diff. configurations which give me headache all the time! everyone has a diff. perspective lol.
            I have made an album with some of the pics. Simple and Cheap is the credo here, but I'm tempted to change the setup to an upside down printer. Just because of the focusing before starting to print and the size of the vat. The sticking problem to the vat is solved,so no fumbling around with with dupont film.
            Nice to hear from you and if you have any questions, don't hesitate to drop a line.

            DLP_Builder

            --- In diy_3d_printing_and_fabrication@yahoogroups.com, "Walt Lockard" <designpraxis@...> wrote:

            > Hi DLP_Builder,
            >

            > Congratulations on completing your 3D DLP printer. Is it a top-down or a
            > bottom-up configuration? I'm in the process of putting together a top-down
            > printer, but have a ways to go. Have you uploaded any of your printed part
            > photos? Can't wait to hear more about your printer and resin development.
            > Thanks for sharing your expertise.
            >

            > Best Regards,
            >

            > Walt Lockard
            >

            > d e s i g n p r a x i s, i n c.
            >
            > "Your Solution - Our Expertise"

          • dlp_builder
            Message 5 of 9 , Jul 29, 2013
              Thanks for your welcome Martin,

              When I looked for a solution for a resin I found out that many of the available resins are focusing on applications where excellent adhesion to a broad range of materials are paramount.
              Thats probably why we encounter so many problems when using the standard available resin formulas. Most of the problems are then solved by a mechanical solution while most of the incompatibilities are caused by the original purpose of the resin used.

              Since I was going to develop the resin from scratch anyway, I just went for a combination of Oligomers and Monomers which gave the end product specific properties we are after in 3D DLP printing.

              Because of my situation, low wattage projector and low on funds (aren't we all, nowadays), I specifically went for affordability and absorbtion at longer wavelengths. I also looked for low shrinkage, good surface hardness but still a certain amount of flexibility so you can drill and grind it low viscosity, good chemical/water resistance and low adhesion to glass.

              It took me a long time, to find it all out and especially to get to all the base materials. Companies like Basf and so on, are just not so interested in people like me with an idea. But in the end I found some companies who were willing to listen to me and help me out. The next step is to find a way to make it available to all 3D DLP enthousiasts.

              DLP_Builder

              Message 6 of 9 , Jul 29, 2013
                Congrats on the build! Wish you further success and improvements!

                Cheers!
                Peter

                --- In diy_3d_printing_and_fabrication@yahoogroups.com, "dlp_builder" <drs_eureka@...> wrote:

                > Hello I'm just another 3D printer enthousiast.
                >
                > I have finished my super cheap 3D DLP printer a few months ago. I put
                > some pics in my folder for you to see. My printer can be build by anyone
                > and for little money. There is lots of room for improvement and I am
                > slowly replacing cheap DIY parts by more precise printed parts (Printed
                > by my own printer)
                >
                > The last 3 months I have been busy developing my own resin. Took me some
                > time to polish up my Poly chemical knowledge, but now I'm about
                > finished. I have put some pics from some of my prints (STL files I found
                > on Thingiverse)
                > The primary drive to develop my resin was the price of the ready
                > available resin in Europe, and the property drawbacks there are in the
                > existing resins. Main problems as you have all experienced, the sticking
                > to the glass problem in 'upside down' printers, Bad curing performance
                > with unmodified and low wattage DLP projectors. Spending some months on
                > the subject and with the help of some profs in the field I have nailed
                > most of the problems.
                > My printer uses an old E-Bay (marktplaats as we call it here) Infocus X9
                > DLP projector which has a 180Watts Bulb. I bought 2 of those in one buy
                > for 150 euro's.......
                > I have made no modifications to filters or color wheels and lenses. The
                > cure time is anywhere between 1 and 4 seconds per layer depending on the
                > resolution and color I put in the resin. So I think that is more than
                > acceptable.
                >
                > Well as you can see I'm seriously involved in the world, nowadays known
                > as a 3D world (to my wife's regret.)
                >
                > Hope I have introduced myself well enough and look forward to speak to
                > you soon!
                >
                > DLP_ Builder

              • dlp_builder
                Message 7 of 9 , Jul 30, 2013
                  Thanks Peter!

                  --- In diy_3d_printing_and_fabrication@yahoogroups.com, "pzamov" <pzamov@...> wrote:

                  > Congrats on the build! Wish you further success and improvements!
                  >
                  > Cheers!
                  > Peter
                  >
                  > --- In diy_3d_printing_and_fabrication@yahoogroups.com, "dlp_builder" <drs_eureka@> wrote:
                  > >

                  > > Hello I'm just another 3D printer enthousiast.
                  > >
                  > > I have finished my super cheap 3D DLP printer a few months ago. I put
                  > > some pics in my folder for you to see. My printer can be build by anyone
                  > > and for little money. There is lots of room for improvement and I am
                  > > slowly replacing cheap DIY parts by more precise printed parts (Printed
                  > > by my own printer)
                  > >
                  > > The last 3 months I have been busy developing my own resin. Took me some
                  > > time to polish up my Poly chemical knowledge, but now I'm about
                  > > finished. I have put some pics from some of my prints (STL files I found
                  > > on Thingiverse)
                  > > The primary drive to develop my resin was the price of the ready
                  > > available resin in Europe, and the property drawbacks there are in the
                  > > existing resins. Main problems as you have all experienced, the sticking
                  > > to the glass problem in 'upside down' printers, Bad curing performance
                  > > with unmodified and low wattage DLP projectors. Spending some months on
                  > > the subject and with the help of some profs in the field I have nailed
                  > > most of the problems.
                  > > My printer uses an old E-Bay (marktplaats as we call it here) Infocus X9
                  > > DLP projector which has a 180Watts Bulb. I bought 2 of those in one buy
                  > > for 150 euro's.......
                  > > I have made no modifications to filters or color wheels and lenses. The
                  > > cure time is anywhere between 1 and 4 seconds per layer depending on the
                  > > resolution and color I put in the resin. So I think that is more than
                  > > acceptable.
                  > >
                  > > Well as you can see I'm seriously involved in the world, nowadays known
                  > > as a 3D world (to my wife's regret.)
                  > >
                  > > Hope I have introduced myself well enough and look forward to speak to
                  > > you soon!
                  > >
                  > > DLP_ Builder

                • Walt Lockard
                  Message 8 of 9 , Aug 1, 2013

                    Hi DLP_Builder,

                    I took a look at your picture album.  Very nice.  It looks like you are getting some great resolution on the frog model.  I am trying to decide on a DLP projector and have narrowed it down to a number of models.  My goal is to max out on the lumens (2500 - 3000 ANSI), the native resolution (1920 X 1080), the contrast (15K-20K:1), and a minimum throw distance (feet).  I have a max of $1000USD for the projector.  If you had this budget, what would you get?  My wish is to create a print size similar to the Envisiontec “Ultra” which is 10.5” Length X 6.5” Width X 8” Depth.  Again, I want to build a top-down printer, similar to yours.  Thanks.

                  • dlp_builder
                    Message 9 of 9 , Aug 2, 2013
                      Hi Walt,
                      I just posted a hughe reply and then the f..... Yahoo said sorry can't post this now, try again later, and all my work was lost!
                      Don't they understand that that is soooooo frustrating!

                      I will try again later.