Using a cnc router for 3-D printing

  • Peter
    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 3, 2013
      I have a cnc-router from ISEL and would like to use it for 3-D printing.
      Guess this should be possible by replacing the spindle with an extruder.
      Does anyone of you have already done this and can give my some hints?
    • Mich
      Message 2 of 6 , Jun 3, 2013
        It is possible, there is actually a company that sells tabletop CNC mills that has a conversion kit for them. Can't remember the name off the top of my head but I can get the web address when I get home and send it to you, if nothing else it may give you some ideas on how to do your own.

        Sent from my iPhone
        Message 3 of 6 , Jun 3, 2013

          I also have an ISEL router though I converted it to run on Mach3 as I did not have the software from ISEL and I hear it has quite performance.

          I suspect that to get proper control of an extruder you might need to do the same as I assume the motor driving the filament must be synchronized with the rest of the motion not just turned on and off.

          Cheers,

          Graham

        • alancarter1@sky.com
          Message 4 of 6 , Jun 3, 2013
            Hi Try This site
            http://cnc2printer3d.wordpress.com/

            --- In diy_3d_printing_and_fabrication@yahoogroups.com, "Peter" <nyffeler@...> wrote:

            > I have a cnc-router from ISEL and would like to use it for 3-D printing.
            > Guess this should be possible by replacing the spindle with an extruder.
            > Does anyone of you have already done this and can give my some hints?

          • Ricardo
            Message 5 of 6 , Jun 3, 2013
              --- In diy_3d_printing_and_fabrication@yahoogroups.com, "Peter" <nyffeler@...> wrote:

              > I have a cnc-router from ISEL and would like to use it for 3-D printing.
              > Guess this should be possible by replacing the spindle with an extruder.
              > Does anyone of you have already done this and can give my some hints?

              This link , http://www.rockcliffmachine.com/forum/showthread.php?586-3D-Printing-Mach3-Emc-on-a-CNC-Router might help you.
            • Nuri
              Message 6 of 6 , Jun 4, 2013
                You can use this board as PID temperature controller for 3D printers. For lots of information regarding the conversion you can read here

                Regards