buccanners 3d printer

  • loquin.guillaume
    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 2, 2013
      hello,

      have you seen this one on kickstater?

      http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/pirate3d/the-buccaneer-the-3d-printer-that-everyone-can-use?ref=live

      a 3d printer Under 300$ it's going mass market !

      Guillaume.
      Message 2 of 6 , Jun 2, 2013

        Very interesting, the differential belt drive is really really good and simplifies things a lot, the small size and enclosed design is also a bonus but I'm seeing pretty good linear rails on there for the x.y and wonder how they can hit the price point.

        Just found this which is a very similar design though I think they have arranged the belts better:

        Graham
      • Fortino Tan
        Message 3 of 6 , Jun 2, 2013
          Yes, it has been  a hot discussion on deltabot community. Lot of raise doubt whether they can manufacture it that cheap.

          Fortino

          Dari: loquin.guillaume <loquin.guillaume@...>
          Kepada: diy_3d_printing_and_fabrication@yahoogroups.com
          Dikirim: Senin, 3 Juni 2013 2:45
          Judul: [diy_3d_printing_and_fabrication] buccanners 3d printer

          hello,

          have you seen this one on kickstater?

          http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/pirate3d/the-buccaneer-the-3d-printer-that-everyone-can-use?ref=live

          a 3d printer Under 300$ it's going mass market !

          Guillaume.

        • bstott2002
          Message 4 of 6 , Jun 3, 2013
            Very Easy to create and cheap. Look at the details set before us:

            * Simple Design
            * Few parts
            * Few materials
            * Simple shapes and assembly
            * Proven U.S. technology over the last several years - See Thingiverse, RepRap and others.
            * Open Source available software - mostly. I say mostly because they have a nice GUI which is an in- terface to proven code.

            Then - look to nationalities of the Makers. They are all foreign and early generation ??? American. All have heavy accents. This means they have very close association and ties to their home countries. And they are mostly - Asian. Where do we get the cheapest products produced? Where do we get the largest variety of connectors, tapes, electronic components and more inexpensively.

            Do not be fooled.

            Where are these guys at now? San Francisco, CA --- The Silicon Valley, CA. That is where all the innovation is and all the Asian are there - deep.

            Here we have a burgeoning new technology breaking. The U.S. has put hundreds of Millions into - Additive Manufacturing - 3D printing - and recently the Chinese announced about $500 Million to the technology. So, here we have some young guys taking off the shelf Open Source proven technology, simple packaging and a proven method of sourcing funds from the U.S. 0 Kickstarter - and they are going to dump it to China, Taiwan, Korea, Vietnam, India, etc and have it cheap. This will fund their start and will get the manufacturers in the foreign countries outfitted. Then they can simply adapt the form. Prove the tech., work out the bugs and become the world leaders in the new tech....

            Happened with Japan in the 70's with stereos, cars, cameras, printers, Shipping, etc.... Happened with China today.... And with Korea in shipping, cars, shoes, etc....

            We create and are too greedy and lazy to build.... So, we lose....

            (Oh, Hi to all the people here... I used to participate a little a year ago and have followed the group since late 2011.)

            Message 5 of 6 , Jun 4, 2013
              ha,ha! wait till they sale the printer for 50 bucks and charge 10 bucks for a spool. just as hp, lexmark and others do...
              there are very few things that the Chinese can´t make this days that cost 1/10 of what would cost anywhere else.
              where will it take us?

              Message 6 of 6 , Jun 4, 2013
                Inkjet printers are a masterclass in making things cheaply regardless of the cheap printer:expensive ink model. The 3D printer is a slightly different beast, in some ways so much more simple (no mems) but in others harder (decent 3-axis positioning) it will be very interesting to see how it develops.

                I don't have an issue with the price for A 3D printer it just looked a little high for this one. However no doubt it will be a little different when released, no nuts involved in the construction would be a start though perhaps it is cheaper for them to employ people to assemble like that than to tap the holes in their pressed plates.

                Graham