Home made CNC machine

  • John Johnson
    Message 1 of 6 , Sep 4, 2008
      I joined the group for I am interested in a homemade 3 axis CNC
      machine for my machine shop. Is it 3D printing, No? It is a 3D
      project where I want to make a gantry CNC machine to be able to spot
      drill the locations of holes in a part with more accuracy than
      layout and center punching. Also, when I have multiple parts to
      make, the parts can be a lot closer in tolerance. Matching hole
      patterns in mating parts are closer to fit up than layout and
      punching, or drilling and transfer punching, especially when hole
      sizes are other than the sizes in a standard set of punches.

      The value of this is as follows: in working at large machine
      builders we would make machine bases of 10' x 20', as an example.
      Machining the top of the base to start and then spot drilling the
      hole locations came next. Drilling, boring, and finish reaming the
      dowel holes came next.

      The base would then be removed from the boring mill and set up on
      the floor and leveled. The tapped holes were all that remained so a
      magnetic based drill was used to tap drill, then tap the holes,
      using the spot drilled holes for location. This freed up the boring
      mill for the next large job and took the tedious machining
      operations and put them in the hands of a machine builder or
      apprentice, that was making less per hour than the boring mill
      operator.

      I wish to locate the hole centers with this gantry and put the parts
      on a drill press to finish drill and tap from there. This machine
      could be running one part while I am at the drill press working on
      another part, as an example. It need not be robust or fast. Using
      AutoCAd to design the parts I could either program the coordinates
      or use a low end CAD/CAM software to program the point-to-point
      machine.

      Can anyone advise, or lead me to a link or website?
      Message 2 of 6 , Sep 4, 2008
        --- In diy_3d_printing_and_fabrication@yahoogroups.com, "John
        Johnson" <chestef@...> wrote:

        > I joined the group for I am interested in a homemade 3 axis CNC
        > machine for my machine shop. Is it 3D printing, No? It is a 3D
        > project where I want to make a gantry CNC machine to be able to
        spot
        > drill the locations of holes in a part with more accuracy than
        > layout and center punching. Also, when I have multiple parts to
        > make, the parts can be a lot closer in tolerance. Matching hole
        > patterns in mating parts are closer to fit up than layout and
        > punching, or drilling and transfer punching, especially when hole
        > sizes are other than the sizes in a standard set of punches.
        >
        > The value of this is as follows: in working at large machine
        > builders we would make machine bases of 10' x 20', as an example.
        > Machining the top of the base to start and then spot drilling the
        > hole locations came next. Drilling, boring, and finish reaming
        the
        > dowel holes came next.
        >
        > The base would then be removed from the boring mill and set up on
        > the floor and leveled. The tapped holes were all that remained so
        > magnetic based drill was used to tap drill, then tap the holes,
        > using the spot drilled holes for location. This freed up the
        boring
        > mill for the next large job and took the tedious machining
        > operations and put them in the hands of a machine builder or
        > apprentice, that was making less per hour than the boring mill
        > operator.
        >
        > I wish to locate the hole centers with this gantry and put the
        parts
        > on a drill press to finish drill and tap from there. This machine
        > could be running one part while I am at the drill press working on
        > another part, as an example. It need not be robust or fast.
        Using
        > AutoCAd to design the parts I could either program the coordinates
        > or use a low end CAD/CAM software to program the point-to-point
        > machine.
        >
        > Can anyone advise, or lead me to a link or website?

        Try here:
      • Michael Fagan
        Message 3 of 6 , Sep 4, 2008
          On Thu, Sep 4, 2008 at 10:49 PM, afogassa <afogassa@...> wrote:
          > --- In diy_3d_printing_and_fabrication@yahoogroups.com, "John

          >> Can anyone advise, or lead me to a link or website?
          >
          > Try here:

        • stcnc2000
          Message 4 of 6 , Sep 5, 2008
            Johnson" <chestef@...> wrote:

            > I joined the group for I am interested in a homemade 3 axis CNC
            > machine for my machine shop. Is it 3D printing, No? It is a 3D
            > project where I want to make a gantry CNC machine to be able to
            spot
            > drill the locations of holes in a part with more accuracy than
            > layout and center punching. Also, when I have multiple parts to
            > make, the parts can be a lot closer in tolerance. Matching hole
            > patterns in mating parts are closer to fit up than layout and
            > punching, or drilling and transfer punching, especially when hole
            > sizes are other than the sizes in a standard set of punches.
            >
            > The value of this is as follows: in working at large machine
            > builders we would make machine bases of 10' x 20', as an example.
            > Machining the top of the base to start and then spot drilling the
            > hole locations came next. Drilling, boring, and finish reaming the
            > dowel holes came next.
            >
            > The base would then be removed from the boring mill and set up on
            > the floor and leveled. The tapped holes were all that remained so
            > magnetic based drill was used to tap drill, then tap the holes,
            > using the spot drilled holes for location. This freed up the
            boring
            > mill for the next large job and took the tedious machining
            > operations and put them in the hands of a machine builder or
            > apprentice, that was making less per hour than the boring mill
            > operator.
            >
            > I wish to locate the hole centers with this gantry and put the
            parts
            > on a drill press to finish drill and tap from there. This machine
            > could be running one part while I am at the drill press working on
            > another part, as an example. It need not be robust or fast. Using
            > AutoCAd to design the parts I could either program the coordinates
            > or use a low end CAD/CAM software to program the point-to-point
            > machine.
            >
            > Can anyone advise, or lead me to a link or website?

            Take look at this site:
            http://www.cad2gcode.com/
          • Maxi Bertotto
            Message 5 of 6 , Sep 8, 2008
              Hi!!! I would know if there any page where explain the STL slice algoritm or some open source. It was your own develope?
              Thankyou for the data Afogassa!!

              Tiwanacote

              Yahoo! Cocina
              Recetas prácticas y comida saludable