Re: [diy_3d_printing_and_fabrication] Re: The Metalbot Project

    Message 1 of 21 , Apr 27, 2013

      On Sat, Apr 27, 2013 at 1:25 PM, Ben Mahony <ben.mahony@...> wrote:

      Sorry I did not mean have you fired it, I meant into some metal filings?

      Sorry, not reading carefully. No I have not tried it, I would have mentioned it, also I don't want to bother.

      I mount my synrad directly onto the head of my cnc router interchangeable with the spindle, it is lighter than my spindle,little bit taller.

      You must have a very big router!

      Only have a 8 inch tube before a cutting lens, synrad suggest a longer beam length before use but the simplicity wins out.   We checked with synrad about running the laser vertically and they said it may shorten the life of the unit by 10% but once again simplicity one.   Nice to switch between laser and route in 5 minutes.

      I think you get best results with a beam expander but they are not exactly cheap. I have a lot of Parker actuators with brushless servos to make make a really nice router, I had considered adding some flying mirrors in housings with shutters to keep the dust out so I could mix techniques but it's just on the long list of things I might do.