Relative structural strengh of Injection Mould ABS vs Extruded ABS a la RepRap?

  • ham
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 23, 2013
      Does anyone have any information regarding the relative shear and tensile strength of injection molded ABS versus ABS plastic formed on a RepRap printer?

      Some RepRap slicers have the ability to create voids in a model in order to save filament. Obviously these voids, depending on the shape of the part, would reduce the strength of the material. For example, how much reduction in strength is caused by using voids in a section of a model that was 4 mm thick?

      I have been told that giving an "acetone wash" to a RepRap ABS extrusion will strengthen the material to some level (by how much I have no clue).

      Any pointers regarding the above topics would be appreciated.

      Regards,
      Bernie Murphy
      Ottawa, Canada
      Message 2 of 2 , Apr 24, 2013
        Some people claims 30% strenght of injected parts. injection is done at very high preassure, so i don´t think just laying down molten fillament on top of another fillament will make it very strong.