Re: Resin tuning

  • John
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 18, 2013
      Grahm, thanks for the reply.

      > I'd say that if you try and cure for longer you will just make the layer
      > thicker, as long as it is a solid I think it will be fine, even steel when
      > very thin is flexible. Once you post cure you stiffen it further.

      I did a post cure in the sun and the resin did stiffen significantly. It went from a floppy piece of thin rubber to a piece of stiff paper. It did curl a bit but that was probobly because it was only exposed to the sun on one side. I was mostly concerned that the rubbery state might allow flexing or warpage of the model as the build progresses.

      > The main limiting factor is damage to the PDMS if you use it, because there
      > is just a thin layer of resin between the VAT bottom and the build platform
      > I don't think you can really overexpose much as far as the resin is
      > concerned.

      What I am calling "overcure" is the distance into the previous layer that the current layer cures so that it fuses securely to the previous one. I guess it's more of an overlap.

      For now I'm using Silguard on my vat floor. My exposure times are so quick that I hope to not damage the coating too quickly. I have the vast floor in a frame so it can be changed easily for a fresh one if it does. With my setup I'm getting a .2mm cure depth with a 1000ms exposure. I'll probobly lower that slightly to get a thickness around .15mm so my layers will overlap by .05mm. Will that be enough or should I leave it at .2mm and have a 100% overlap with the previous layer?
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 18, 2013
        > Will that be enough or should I leave it at .2mm and have a 100% overlap with the previous layer

        I think the best course of action is trying it.