EFF fights to open 3dprinting by exposing prior art in key patents to the USPTO

  • techartisan
    Message 1 of 11 , Apr 16, 2013
      In case this wasnt seen by all of the members of this group already......
      https://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2013/04/eff-partners-challenge/
    • wenshidi@yahoo.co.uk
      Message 2 of 11 , Apr 18, 2013
        I have made a private contribution and I am talking with the EFF lawyer on the case about donating the proceeds from my 3D Printing ebook to the cause, but I would be interested in doing something as a group, if anybody else here is interested.

        I was shocked at how much these morons cost business.

        http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2012/07/new-study-same-authors-patent-trolls-cost-economy-29-billion-yearly/

        Chris

        In case this wasnt seen by all of the members of this group already......
        https://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2013/04/eff-partners-challenge/

      • Ricardo
        Message 3 of 11 , Apr 18, 2013
          Some time ago the links for this paper http://www-bcf.usc.edu/~yongchen/Research/MSEC2012_7232.pdf and video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0TZWCwnvyew were posted on the B9Creator forum(the post was deleted a few days later)The video was posted on youtube in 9/23/2011 and clearly shows the slide release mechanism. Also, from a post in the B9Creator(Michael himself posted it), I learned that the slide release mechanism is now patent pending. I don't know when the application for the patent was filed or who applied for it because I don't know where to look for and I don't much about patents but if it was after the release of the video, can the video be characterized as prior art ?
          I know there's some people here in the group with a good grasp of the patent process and since you are already in contact with an EFF lawer... Maybe it wouldn't be a waste of time investigating this ?
          BTW, I downloaded the video and took a few screen captures of it showing the date it was posted in case the video is deleted.

          --- In diy_3d_printing_and_fabrication@yahoogroups.com, "wenshidi@..." <wenshidi@...> wrote:

          > I have made a private contribution and I am talking with the EFF lawyer on the case about donating the proceeds from my 3D Printing ebook to the cause, but I would be interested in doing something as a group, if anybody else here is interested.
          >
          > I was shocked at how much these morons cost business.
          >
          > http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2012/07/new-study-same-authors-patent-trolls-cost-economy-29-billion-yearly/
          >
          > Chris
          >

          > ________________________________

        • Jon Elson
          Message 4 of 11 , Apr 18, 2013
            Ricardo wrote:
            > video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0TZWCwnvyew were posted on the B9Creator forum(the post was deleted a few days later)The video was posted on youtube in 9/23/2011 and clearly shows the slide release mechanism.
            The video shows the exposure being done with the vat in both horizontal
            positions. That is puzzling, I thought you'd only expose in one position,
            and the horizontal movement was to release the last layer from the vat.
            Exposing to light would seem to defeat that. Anyway, it wouldn't work with
            Michael's PDMS step in the vat, so this one must just use horizontal
            movement across a flat bottom to release the layer.

            Any comments?

            Message 5 of 11 , Apr 18, 2013
              It would seem that the horizontal motion is to spread the resin:

              Graham

              On Thu, Apr 18, 2013 at 4:26 PM, Jon Elson <elson@...> wrote:

              Ricardo wrote:
              > video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0TZWCwnvyew were posted on the B9Creator forum(the post was deleted a few days later)The video was posted on youtube in 9/23/2011 and clearly shows the slide release mechanism.
              The video shows the exposure being done with the vat in both horizontal
              positions. That is puzzling, I thought you'd only expose in one position,
              and the horizontal movement was to release the last layer from the vat.
              Exposing to light would seem to defeat that. Anyway, it wouldn't work with
              Michael's PDMS step in the vat, so this one must just use horizontal
              movement across a flat bottom to release the layer.

              Any comments?

              Jon

            • Ricardo
              Message 6 of 11 , Apr 18, 2013
                Before the slide he lifts by the same amount of the thickness of the layer. If you read the paper that also linked you'll understand what he's doing.

                Message 7 of 11 , Apr 18, 2013
                  If he lifts before the slide he is not using the slide as a release mechanism and therefore it has no relevance to the patent.

                  GRaham

                  On Thu, Apr 18, 2013 at 10:06 PM, Ricardo <cardin1@...> wrote:

                  Before the slide he lifts by the same amount of the thickness of the layer. If you read the paper that also linked you'll understand what he's doing.

                  --- In diy_3d_printing_and_fabrication@yahoogroups.com, Jon Elson <elson@...> wrote:

                  > Ricardo wrote:
                  > > video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0TZWCwnvyew were posted on the B9Creator forum(the post was deleted a few days later)The video was posted on youtube in 9/23/2011 and clearly shows the slide release mechanism.
                  > The video shows the exposure being done with the vat in both horizontal
                  > positions. That is puzzling, I thought you'd only expose in one position,
                  > and the horizontal movement was to release the last layer from the vat.
                  > Exposing to light would seem to defeat that. Anyway, it wouldn't work with
                  > Michael's PDMS step in the vat, so this one must just use horizontal
                  > movement across a flat bottom to release the layer.
                  >
                  > Any comments?
                  >
                  > Jon

                • Ricardo
                  Message 8 of 11 , Apr 18, 2013
                    When he lifts it doesn't release, the sliding releases the layer.
                    It would be a lot easier to understand if you read the paper, it's an interesting read.

                    Message 9 of 11 , Apr 18, 2013
                      Sorry, I am up until 4am every night working on a deadline so sorry I did not do my homework, I read the abstract and it did not explain it like that.

                      Now I have skimmed enough to see that is uses sliding to aid release by lifting first and then sliding which I guess forces between the slightly lifted PDMS surface and the model.

                      This is different to the way the B9creator works as that has a step and simply slides the model off the step. Michael found that method in the literature used for another application.

                      Unless you can find the patent in question then there is no way to know if it is valid or if this paper has anything to do with it.

                      Graham

                      Message 10 of 11 , Apr 18, 2013
                        As I said I don't know much about patents but if the fact that the b9c uses a step and the paper describes a lift to aid in their slide techniques are distinctive enough for a patent to be granted then I agree with you.
                        On another note, the method described in the paper, and shown in the video, looks easier to implement and printing speed a little faster.

                        Message 11 of 11 , Apr 18, 2013
                          It is certainly well worth a try!