Re: chemical properties of cured resin?

  • Ricardo
    Message 1 of 27 , Apr 4, 2013
      Have you tried any of their resins ? Are they any good ? Did they run with your money ? Now, that would be good to know. I don't care if they are using stock images on their website or a UPS address.
      I mean, it's not as if we, hobbyists and experimenters, have many companies competing for our business. Why try to discredit one of the very few ?

      --- In diy_3d_printing_and_fabrication@yahoogroups.com, Graham Stabler <grezmos@...> wrote:

      > I received an email anonymously on this subject, I offer bare facts from it
      > here as I feel it is right to do so.
      >
      > *The first reference ANYWHERE of bucktown polymers was when A2sheds created
      > the lemon curry fork. Its website wasn't even active when it was first
      > posted.
      > In the time since A2sheds has not demonstrated a lemon curry printer...has
      > not added any original content to its fork.
      >
      > their address is a UPS store http://www.theupsstorelocal.com/3173/
      > NO record with the Illinois SOS for bucktown polymers,
      > http://www.ilsos.gov/corporatellc/CorporateLlcController
      > shares the phone number of an equally nonverifiable O.n.e technology/labs
      > which has only ever been associated with the ups store above and a storage
      > facility in michigan.
      >
      > A template website filled with stock images...
      > http://www.dreamtemplate.com/templates/6006/6106.html
      > http://depositphotos.com/1928720/stock-photo-Glass-Building-in-Blue.html
      > http://tinyurl.com/cu5xruf
      > http://tinyurl.com/bvu9ctt
      >
      > Regards,
      >
      > Graham
      >

      > On Wed, Apr 3, 2013 at 9:44 AM, Graham Stabler <grezmos@...> wrote:
      >
      > > The address showed properly.
      > >
      > > I don't understand why don't they answer the phone.
      > >
      > > Graham

    • Jon Elson
      Message 2 of 27 , Apr 4, 2013
        Graham Stabler wrote:

        > I received an email anonymously on this subject, I offer bare facts
        > from it here as I feel it is right to do so.
        WOW! This is pretty serious! So, has ANYONE bought anything from Bucktown?

        Message 3 of 27 , Apr 4, 2013
          Firstly I am not trying to discredit anyone just present some facts which I thought were pertinent to anyone who might be considering doing business with them. Perhaps ignorance is bliss?

          Nobody has any problem with cottage industry or mom and pop organisations, I would and have happily bought things out of peoples basements and bedrooms. However this company is clearly representing itself as something it is not (forget the website, it is not even registered as a company) and it appears to be using dubious marketing techniques to do so.

          Personally I like to know who I am doing business with so if something goes wrong I know where to go, especially when it comes to chemicals, I offered it here as information only.

          Graham

          On Thu, Apr 4, 2013 at 4:31 PM, Ricardo <cardin1@...> wrote:

          Have you tried any of their resins ? Are they any good ? Did they run with your money ? Now, that would be good to know. I don't care if they are using stock images on their website or a UPS address.
          I mean, it's not as if we, hobbyists and experimenters, have many companies competing for our business. Why try to discredit one of the very few ?

          --- In diy_3d_printing_and_fabrication@yahoogroups.com, Graham Stabler <grezmos@...> wrote:

          > I received an email anonymously on this subject, I offer bare facts from it
          > here as I feel it is right to do so.
          >
          > *The first reference ANYWHERE of bucktown polymers was when A2sheds created
          > the lemon curry fork. Its website wasn't even active when it was first
          > posted.
          > In the time since A2sheds has not demonstrated a lemon curry printer...has
          > not added any original content to its fork.
          >
          > their address is a UPS store http://www.theupsstorelocal.com/3173/
          > NO record with the Illinois SOS for bucktown polymers,
          > http://www.ilsos.gov/corporatellc/CorporateLlcController
          > shares the phone number of an equally nonverifiable O.n.e technology/labs
          > which has only ever been associated with the ups store above and a storage
          > facility in michigan.
          >
          > A template website filled with stock images...
          > http://www.dreamtemplate.com/templates/6006/6106.html
          > http://depositphotos.com/1928720/stock-photo-Glass-Building-in-Blue.html
          > http://tinyurl.com/cu5xruf
          > http://tinyurl.com/bvu9ctt
          >
          > Regards,
          >
          > Graham
          >

          > On Wed, Apr 3, 2013 at 9:44 AM, Graham Stabler <grezmos@...> wrote:
          >
          > > The address showed properly.
          > >
          > > I don't understand why don't they answer the phone.
          > >
          > > Graham

        • Jon Elson
          Message 4 of 27 , Apr 4, 2013
            Graham Stabler wrote:

            > Firstly I am not trying to discredit anyone just present some facts
            > which I thought were pertinent to anyone who might be considering
            > doing business with them. Perhaps ignorance is bliss?
            I am a really small business, too, but I **DO** answer my phone!
            That is a significant concern. Of course, he could be out of town
            for a few days. But, certainly not a good sign.

            Jon
          • Lino
            Message 5 of 27 , Apr 4, 2013
              I have attempted to contact them as well with no response. This was several
              months ago

              > Firstly I am not trying to discredit anyone just present some facts
              > which I thought were pertinent to anyone who might be considering
              > doing business with them. Perhaps ignorance is bliss?
              I am a really small business, too, but I **DO** answer my phone!
              That is a significant concern. Of course, he could be out of town for a few
              days. But, certainly not a good sign.

            • Robert Cervellione
              Message 6 of 27 , Apr 4, 2013
                i just spoke to someone from One Labs today and talked for a while about their resins. The person seamed knowledgeable about the resins. I am going to get 5 gallons of their resin to test with so i will let you know how it works out. i sent a email two days ago and got a call the next day.   25kg of Fernando's resin hopefully will be here soon so i will let you know the difference.

                Message 7 of 27 , Apr 5, 2013
                  That's going to be useful information. Some time ago I took this huge chance(no phone, no address and the scariest thing is the stock pictures on the website)and ordered the spot-gp from Spota. Have been using it with great success. Your report on the bucktown resin will be appreciated.

                • jsangiolo@ymail.com
                  Message 8 of 27 , Apr 6, 2013
                    --- In diy_3d_printing_and_fabrication@yahoogroups.com, Jon Elson <elson@...> wrote:

                    > Graham Stabler wrote:
                    > >
                    > > I received an email anonymously on this subject, I offer bare facts
                    > > from it here as I feel it is right to do so.
                    > WOW! This is pretty serious! So, has ANYONE bought anything from Bucktown?
                    >
                    > Jon

                    I purchased a quart of resin from bucktown last summer through their website (back when you could get a quart of UV resin). I had no problem with the transaction and even had a short email exchange prior to purchasing (I wanted a quart of their visible, but they were only offering it by the gallon and that was too much for me to take a chance on). I've mentioned this purchase previously, warning that I found the "low odor" product to be quite strong. I also have a quart of B9 resin, but got too busy at work (and frankly can't use the bucktown when it is too cold to keep a door open) to do a proper comparison.

                    john
                  • arthur2shedsj
                    Message 9 of 27 , Apr 6, 2013
                      > I purchased a quart of resin from bucktown last summer through their website (back when you could get a quart of UV resin). I had no problem with the transaction and even had a short email exchange prior to purchasing (I wanted a quart of their visible, but they were only offering it by the gallon and that was too much for me to take a chance on). I've mentioned this purchase previously, warning that I found the "low odor" product to be quite strong. I also have a quart of B9 resin, but got too busy at work (and frankly can't use the bucktown when it is too cold to keep a door open) to do a proper comparison.
                      >
                      > john

                      The BP formulas available last year were geared around low cost and cured characteristics, but they proved to be too difficult for DIYers to work with. All the new formulas on the website cure 10x faster, are lower viscosity, low or no odor, plus cure over the UV to visible spectrum. DIY is mostly concerned with low cost, low odor and easy to use. Industrial users are as concerned with odor as they are with its flavor.

                      The BP website makes it easy for DIYers to place orders using Paypal without having to have contact with any sales people or chemists, since the majority of DIY buyers don't actually like or are too shy to have contact with anyone via email and especially by phone.

                      I'm not sure what all the hubbub is about since the photopolymer industry is nearly 100% B2B. DIY hardly shows up on the radar, yet they still provide resins at low cost in low volumes to DIYers.
                      Message 10 of 27 , Apr 6, 2013

                        On Sat, Apr 6, 2013 at 8:25 PM, arthur2shedsj <arthur2shedsj@...> wrote:

                        I'm not sure what all the hubbub is about since the photopolymer industry is nearly 100% B2B. DIY hardly shows up on the radar, yet they still provide resins at low cost in low volumes to DIYers.

                        And who are THEY? They are not actually a business it seems.

                        As for the comments about DIYers being too shy to use email or phone, that has not been my experience in any way.