Coarse surface....topological aspect

  • jwanett
    Message 1 of 11 , Apr 3, 2013
      Hi everyone!!!

      At first sorry for my english, i'll try to explain myself as good as I can.

      My printer is working really well, on the mechanical side...But I have a problem that I thing it's common in this kind of printers:

      - Coarse aspect on the surface, looking like the topological maps.Not related to the z layers. It's more something related to the xy plane.

      At the beggining I thought it was related to the resolution of the slices (I use png slices), but now having more high resolution slices, the problem is still there. Today I noticed this in a B9Creator model as well:

      http://b9creator.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/rdkfe-IMG_2519.jpg
      It's related to the algorithm routine that uses the slicer??? or it´s more a thing of the resolution of your projector???
      There are a way for improve this kind of effect???

      Now I'm printing with an SVG from slicer, let's see if it's less coarsy than the slices that I get from NettFabb Free.

      Hope this makes sense!!

      Cheers to evryone from Barcelona!!!
    • jwanett
      Message 2 of 11 , Apr 3, 2013
        Or maybe it depends of the model, the amount of decimation????

        --- In diy_3d_printing_and_fabrication@yahoogroups.com, "jwanett" <jonichk@...> wrote:

        > Hi everyone!!!
        >
        > At first sorry for my english, i'll try to explain myself as good as I can.
        >

        > My printer is working really well, on the mechanical side...But I have a problem that I thing it's common in this kind of printers:
        >
        > - Coarse aspect on the surface, looking like the topological maps.Not related to the z layers. It's more something related to the xy plane.
        >
        > At the beggining I thought it was related to the resolution of the slices (I use png slices), but now having more high resolution slices, the problem is still there. Today I noticed this in a B9Creator model as well:
        >
        > http://b9creator.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/rdkfe-IMG_2519.jpg
        > It's related to the algorithm routine that uses the slicer??? or it´s more a thing of the resolution of your projector???
        > There are a way for improve this kind of effect???
        >

        > Now I'm printing with an SVG from slicer, let's see if it's less coarsy than the slices that I get from NettFabb Free.
        >

        > Hope this makes sense!!
        >

        > Cheers to evryone from Barcelona!!!

      • Michael Joyce
        Message 3 of 11 , Apr 3, 2013
          That's "topological" artifact is a result of both a good detailed camera
          shot (that object is less than 4" long) and the fact it is printed (and
          was sliced for ) 100 micron XY resolution.
          The object is built from 100 micron "bricks" AND these bricks can not be
          moved side to side, they MUST fall into a fixed 100 micron grid.
          If an object looks smoother it's because the resolution is blurred.

          And, as jwanett mentions, the model's mesh smoothness matters too.

          MikeJ

          On 4/3/2013 4:58 PM, jwanett wrote:
          > Or maybe it depends of the model, the amount of decimation????
          >

          > --- In diy_3d_printing_and_fabrication@yahoogroups.com, "jwanett" <jonichk@...> wrote:
          >> Hi everyone!!!
          >>
          >> At first sorry for my english, i'll try to explain myself as good as I can.
          >>

          >> My printer is working really well, on the mechanical side...But I have a problem that I thing it's common in this kind of printers:
          >>
          >> - Coarse aspect on the surface, looking like the topological maps.Not related to the z layers. It's more something related to the xy plane.
          >>
          >> At the beggining I thought it was related to the resolution of the slices (I use png slices), but now having more high resolution slices, the problem is still there. Today I noticed this in a B9Creator model as well:
          >>
          >> http://b9creator.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/rdkfe-IMG_2519.jpg
          >> It's related to the algorithm routine that uses the slicer??? or it´s more a thing of the resolution of your projector???
          >> There are a way for improve this kind of effect???
          >>

          >> Now I'm printing with an SVG from slicer, let's see if it's less coarsy than the slices that I get from NettFabb Free.
          >>

          >> Hope this makes sense!!
          >>

          >> Cheers to evryone from Barcelona!!!

          "Measure Twice, Cut Once"
          http://www.B9Creations.com
        • joan raven
          Message 4 of 11 , Apr 3, 2013
            Thanks for the answer Mike, u have been a big inspiration for me!

            But the strange thing is I get sometimes a heavy coarseting in my 50 micron objects. And more strange is I printed one object that it's super smooth, but using the same setting that I use always.

            I will make a test tomorrow: Printing 2 same models, but with different amount of decimation, and will see how it affect to this "topological maps"...If someone tried before, please share your experience!!!!

            To: diy_3d_printing_and_fabrication@yahoogroups.com
            From: MikeJ@...
            Date: Wed, 3 Apr 2013 17:11:49 -0600
            Subject: Re: [diy_3d_printing_and_fabrication] Re: Coarse surface....topological aspect

            Message 5 of 11 , Apr 3, 2013
              That is strange, typically higher resolution will result in smaller building blocks and give better results.
              You saw the whale at 100 microns, here's a figure at 75:  http://b9creator.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/0qs5y-knightupclose.jpg
              It's hard to tell without side by side comparison, but the figure is smoother (smaller voxels).

              To: diy_3d_printing_and_fabrication@yahoogroups.com
              From: MikeJ@...
              Date: Wed, 3 Apr 2013 17:11:49 -0600

              --
              "Measure Twice, Cut Once"
              http://www.B9Creations.com
              Message 6 of 11 , Apr 3, 2013
                The weird thing is this model that is completely smooth that I get from my printer...

                (That now i'm realizing the polycount is much higher....maybe this affects???)

                STRANGE!!!!!!!

                To: diy_3d_printing_and_fabrication@yahoogroups.com

                From: MikeJ@...
                Date: Wed, 3 Apr 2013 17:11:49 -0600

                Message 7 of 11 , Apr 3, 2013
                  Yes, polygon count will make a big differences.  Can't print a smooth curve if the surface is made out of just a few big'o triangles!

                  To: diy_3d_printing_and_fabrication@yahoogroups.com

                  From: MikeJ@...
                  Date: Wed, 3 Apr 2013 17:11:49 -0600

                  Message 8 of 11 , Apr 3, 2013
                    but It will be more logical if there are a faceted (triangulated) curve, just to show this triangulation on the model???

                    To: diy_3d_printing_and_fabrication@yahoogroups.com

                    From: MikeJ@...
                    Date: Wed, 3 Apr 2013 17:11:49 -0600

                    Message 9 of 11 , Apr 4, 2013
                      Correct, you would expect a faceted surface (still made up of stair cases)

                      I suspect you are a little out of focus with your smooth models.

                      Graham

                      Message 10 of 11 , Apr 4, 2013
                        And could that be because your resin level has gone down slightly?

                        On Thu, Apr 4, 2013 at 10:13 AM, Graham Stabler <grezmos@...> wrote:
                        I suspect you are a little out of focus with your smooth models.

                      • Francis Leach
                        Message 11 of 11 , Apr 4, 2013
                        Dear Solidprinters.

                        The result from the B9 creator looks very good.

                        Even the Professionals "Shapeways" have their limitations.

                        I attach for you general interest  shots of commercial offering from them which I term "as rough as a bears Ar*e"

                        There should be standards quoted for the surface finish of flat surfaces so one can assess the suitability of the numerous solidprinting machines and associated results.

                        The best machines on the market are the Solidscape wax printer and the Envisiontec Prefactory.

                        It appears that the B9 machine is getting their and I hope the Formlab liberates good results.

                        regards

                        Francis Leach