Re: chemical properties of cured resin?

  • arthur2shedsj
    Message 1 of 27 , Mar 31, 2013
      Try contacting http://bucktownpolymers.com

      If you work in a Chem lab you should have no problem working with the resins they used to offer the DIY crowd that are tougher than ABS. You have to be careful using the -V420 resins in printers like the B9 or Form1 since they cure so fast they can easily melt their vat materials. DIYers would complain about the odor and weren't interested in chemical resistance, tensile strength (>60MPa) or the flexural modulus (>9GPa)of some cured resins, only cost and odor. They have hundreds of formulas that target manufacturing vs hobby applications.

      --- In diy_3d_printing_and_fabrication@yahoogroups.com, "jmelson2" <elson@...> wrote:

      > I work for a university chemistry department, and we are
      > looking seriously at getting a 3D printer. I have been pushing
      > for a resin/DLP printer instead of an FDM extruder.
      > They want to buy a commercial machine instead of a project
      > to tinker with, so I have been suggesting the B9 creator.
      > I've been trying to get some info on the properties of the cured
      > object, as it is likely to get designed into chemistry experiments.
      > I have sent messages to Fernando and Michael with no response
      > so far. Does anyone know what the standard SpotA resin turns out
      > to be when cured? If this has been documented in the archives,
      > some help to find the relevant articles would be greatly appreciated.
      >
      > Thanks,
      >
      > Jon

    • Robert Cervellione
      Message 2 of 27 , Apr 2 11:47 AM
        has anyone contacted buck town, i call the number on the website and it just asks for an extension. i am very interested in high speed fast cure strong resins and can deal with 'smell'.  i wanted to contact some there to get some resin fro them so if anyone has a better number or name let me know.

        -robert

      • phife54@ymail.com
        Message 3 of 27 , Apr 2 7:39 PM
          Ive tried to contact Bucktown Polymers a few times via email and phone with no reply or call back.

          Ive been trying to get resin for the last few months without luck. I need something a little more custom for the LCD printer, and I tried asking Bucktown some questions about their resins via email without a response.

          Im looking to order at least 4L-Gallon of resin. I thought Fernando was coming up with a quicker curing resin that had a lower viscosity that would be perfect for my printer, But he hasn't responded to my emails either. Fernando/Spot-A has the most detail on its resin properties though, and has always responded quickly to my questions.

          --- In diy_3d_printing_and_fabrication@yahoogroups.com, Robert Cervellione <robert.cervellione@...> wrote:

          > has anyone contacted buck town, i call the number on the website and it
          > just asks for an extension. i am very interested in high speed fast
          > cure strong resins and can deal with 'smell'. i wanted to contact some
          > there to get some resin fro them so if anyone has a better number or name
          > let me know.
          >
          > -robert
          >

          > On Sun, Mar 31, 2013 at 1:33 PM, arthur2shedsj <arthur2shedsj@...>wrote:
          >
          > > **
          > >

          > > Try contacting http://bucktownpolymers.com
          > >
          > > If you work in a Chem lab you should have no problem working with the
          > > resins they used to offer the DIY crowd that are tougher than ABS. You have
          > > to be careful using the -V420 resins in printers like the B9 or Form1 since
          > > they cure so fast they can easily melt their vat materials. DIYers would
          > > complain about the odor and weren't interested in chemical resistance,
          > > tensile strength (>60MPa) or the flexural modulus (>9GPa)of some cured
          > > resins, only cost and odor. They have hundreds of formulas that target
          > > manufacturing vs hobby applications.
          > >
          > > --- In diy_3d_printing_and_fabrication@yahoogroups.com, "jmelson2" <elson@>
          > > wrote:
          > > >
          > > > I work for a university chemistry department, and we are
          > > > looking seriously at getting a 3D printer. I have been pushing
          > > > for a resin/DLP printer instead of an FDM extruder.
          > > > They want to buy a commercial machine instead of a project
          > > > to tinker with, so I have been suggesting the B9 creator.
          > > > I've been trying to get some info on the properties of the cured
          > > > object, as it is likely to get designed into chemistry experiments.
          > > > I have sent messages to Fernando and Michael with no response
          > > > so far. Does anyone know what the standard SpotA resin turns out
          > > > to be when cured? If this has been documented in the archives,
          > > > some help to find the relevant articles would be greatly appreciated.
          > > >
          > > > Thanks,
          > > >
          > > > Jon

        • arthur2shedsj
          Message 4 of 27 , Apr 2 9:47 PM
            info@... works for most people.

            http://bucktownpolymers.com/polymer00.html all these cure 100um layers <2 sec with most DLP projectors ~2-3K lumens with hardly any odor.

            --- In diy_3d_printing_and_fabrication@yahoogroups.com, Robert Cervellione <robert.cervellione@...> wrote:

            > has anyone contacted buck town, i call the number on the website and it
            > just asks for an extension. i am very interested in high speed fast
            > cure strong resins and can deal with 'smell'. i wanted to contact some
            > there to get some resin fro them so if anyone has a better number or name
            > let me know.
            >
            > -robert
          • arthur2shedsj
            Message 5 of 27 , Apr 2 9:57 PM
              Does yahoo truncate email addresses? info@...

              http://bucktownpolymers.com/contact-us.html

              --- In diy_3d_printing_and_fabrication@yahoogroups.com, "arthur2shedsj" <arthur2shedsj@...> wrote:

              > info@... works for most people.
              >
              > http://bucktownpolymers.com/polymer00.html all these cure 100um layers <2 sec with most DLP projectors ~2-3K lumens with hardly any odor.
              >
              > --- In diy_3d_printing_and_fabrication@yahoogroups.com, Robert Cervellione <robert.cervellione@> wrote:
              > >
              > > has anyone contacted buck town, i call the number on the website and it
              > > just asks for an extension. i am very interested in high speed fast
              > > cure strong resins and can deal with 'smell'. i wanted to contact some
              > > there to get some resin fro them so if anyone has a better number or name
              > > let me know.
              > >
              > > -robert

            • arthur2shedsj
              Message 6 of 27 , Apr 2 10:01 PM

                Message 7 of 27 , Apr 3 1:44 AM
                  The address showed properly.

                  I don't understand why don't they answer the phone.

                  Graham

                  Message 8 of 27 , Apr 4 4:29 AM
                    I received an email anonymously on this subject, I offer bare facts from it here as I feel it is right to do so.

                    *The first reference ANYWHERE of bucktown polymers was when A2sheds created the lemon curry fork. Its website wasn't even active when it was first posted.
                    In the time since A2sheds has not demonstrated a lemon curry printer...has not added any original content to its fork.

                    their address is a UPS store http://www.theupsstorelocal.com/3173/
                    NO record with the Illinois SOS for bucktown polymers, http://www.ilsos.gov/corporatellc/CorporateLlcController
                    shares the phone number of an equally nonverifiable O.n.e technology/labs which has only ever been associated with the ups store above and a storage facility in michigan.

                    A template website filled with stock images...
                    http://www.dreamtemplate.com/templates/6006/6106.html
                    http://depositphotos.com/1928720/stock-photo-Glass-Building-in-Blue.html
                    http://tinyurl.com/cu5xruf
                    http://tinyurl.com/bvu9ctt

                    Regards,

                    Graham

                    On Wed, Apr 3, 2013 at 9:44 AM, Graham Stabler <grezmos@...> wrote:
                    The address showed properly.

                    I don't understand why don't they answer the phone.

                    Graham

                  • Ricardo
                    Message 9 of 27 , Apr 4 8:31 AM
                      Have you tried any of their resins ? Are they any good ? Did they run with your money ? Now, that would be good to know. I don't care if they are using stock images on their website or a UPS address.
                      I mean, it's not as if we, hobbyists and experimenters, have many companies competing for our business. Why try to discredit one of the very few ?

                      --- In diy_3d_printing_and_fabrication@yahoogroups.com, Graham Stabler <grezmos@...> wrote:

                      > I received an email anonymously on this subject, I offer bare facts from it
                      > here as I feel it is right to do so.
                      >
                      > *The first reference ANYWHERE of bucktown polymers was when A2sheds created
                      > the lemon curry fork. Its website wasn't even active when it was first
                      > posted.
                      > In the time since A2sheds has not demonstrated a lemon curry printer...has
                      > not added any original content to its fork.
                      >
                      > their address is a UPS store http://www.theupsstorelocal.com/3173/
                      > NO record with the Illinois SOS for bucktown polymers,
                      > http://www.ilsos.gov/corporatellc/CorporateLlcController
                      > shares the phone number of an equally nonverifiable O.n.e technology/labs
                      > which has only ever been associated with the ups store above and a storage
                      > facility in michigan.
                      >
                      > A template website filled with stock images...
                      > http://www.dreamtemplate.com/templates/6006/6106.html
                      > http://depositphotos.com/1928720/stock-photo-Glass-Building-in-Blue.html
                      > http://tinyurl.com/cu5xruf
                      > http://tinyurl.com/bvu9ctt
                      >
                      > Regards,
                      >
                      > Graham
                      >

                      > On Wed, Apr 3, 2013 at 9:44 AM, Graham Stabler <grezmos@...> wrote:
                      >
                      > > The address showed properly.
                      > >
                      > > I don't understand why don't they answer the phone.
                      > >
                      > > Graham

                    • Jon Elson
                      Message 10 of 27 , Apr 4 8:59 AM
                        Graham Stabler wrote:

                        > I received an email anonymously on this subject, I offer bare facts
                        > from it here as I feel it is right to do so.
                        WOW! This is pretty serious! So, has ANYONE bought anything from Bucktown?

                        Message 11 of 27 , Apr 4 9:07 AM
                          Firstly I am not trying to discredit anyone just present some facts which I thought were pertinent to anyone who might be considering doing business with them. Perhaps ignorance is bliss?

                          Nobody has any problem with cottage industry or mom and pop organisations, I would and have happily bought things out of peoples basements and bedrooms. However this company is clearly representing itself as something it is not (forget the website, it is not even registered as a company) and it appears to be using dubious marketing techniques to do so.

                          Personally I like to know who I am doing business with so if something goes wrong I know where to go, especially when it comes to chemicals, I offered it here as information only.

                          Graham

                          On Thu, Apr 4, 2013 at 4:31 PM, Ricardo <cardin1@...> wrote:

                          Have you tried any of their resins ? Are they any good ? Did they run with your money ? Now, that would be good to know. I don't care if they are using stock images on their website or a UPS address.
                          I mean, it's not as if we, hobbyists and experimenters, have many companies competing for our business. Why try to discredit one of the very few ?

                          --- In diy_3d_printing_and_fabrication@yahoogroups.com, Graham Stabler <grezmos@...> wrote:

                          > I received an email anonymously on this subject, I offer bare facts from it
                          > here as I feel it is right to do so.
                          >
                          > *The first reference ANYWHERE of bucktown polymers was when A2sheds created
                          > the lemon curry fork. Its website wasn't even active when it was first
                          > posted.
                          > In the time since A2sheds has not demonstrated a lemon curry printer...has
                          > not added any original content to its fork.
                          >
                          > their address is a UPS store http://www.theupsstorelocal.com/3173/
                          > NO record with the Illinois SOS for bucktown polymers,
                          > http://www.ilsos.gov/corporatellc/CorporateLlcController
                          > shares the phone number of an equally nonverifiable O.n.e technology/labs
                          > which has only ever been associated with the ups store above and a storage
                          > facility in michigan.
                          >
                          > A template website filled with stock images...
                          > http://www.dreamtemplate.com/templates/6006/6106.html
                          > http://depositphotos.com/1928720/stock-photo-Glass-Building-in-Blue.html
                          > http://tinyurl.com/cu5xruf
                          > http://tinyurl.com/bvu9ctt
                          >
                          > Regards,
                          >
                          > Graham
                          >

                          > On Wed, Apr 3, 2013 at 9:44 AM, Graham Stabler <grezmos@...> wrote:
                          >
                          > > The address showed properly.
                          > >
                          > > I don't understand why don't they answer the phone.
                          > >
                          > > Graham

                        • Jon Elson
                          Message 12 of 27 , Apr 4 7:22 PM
                            Graham Stabler wrote:

                            > Firstly I am not trying to discredit anyone just present some facts
                            > which I thought were pertinent to anyone who might be considering
                            > doing business with them. Perhaps ignorance is bliss?
                            I am a really small business, too, but I **DO** answer my phone!
                            That is a significant concern. Of course, he could be out of town
                            for a few days. But, certainly not a good sign.

                            Jon
                          • Lino
                            Message 13 of 27 , Apr 4 7:29 PM
                              I have attempted to contact them as well with no response. This was several
                              months ago

                              Message 14 of 27 , Apr 4 8:04 PM
                                i just spoke to someone from One Labs today and talked for a while about their resins. The person seamed knowledgeable about the resins. I am going to get 5 gallons of their resin to test with so i will let you know how it works out. i sent a email two days ago and got a call the next day.   25kg of Fernando's resin hopefully will be here soon so i will let you know the difference.

                                Message 15 of 27 , Apr 5 7:12 AM
                                  That's going to be useful information. Some time ago I took this huge chance(no phone, no address and the scariest thing is the stock pictures on the website)and ordered the spot-gp from Spota. Have been using it with great success. Your report on the bucktown resin will be appreciated.

                                • jsangiolo@ymail.com
                                  Message 16 of 27 , Apr 6 8:01 AM
                                    --- In diy_3d_printing_and_fabrication@yahoogroups.com, Jon Elson <elson@...> wrote:

                                    > Graham Stabler wrote:
                                    > >
                                    > > I received an email anonymously on this subject, I offer bare facts
                                    > > from it here as I feel it is right to do so.
                                    > WOW! This is pretty serious! So, has ANYONE bought anything from Bucktown?
                                    >
                                    > Jon

                                    I purchased a quart of resin from bucktown last summer through their website (back when you could get a quart of UV resin). I had no problem with the transaction and even had a short email exchange prior to purchasing (I wanted a quart of their visible, but they were only offering it by the gallon and that was too much for me to take a chance on). I've mentioned this purchase previously, warning that I found the "low odor" product to be quite strong. I also have a quart of B9 resin, but got too busy at work (and frankly can't use the bucktown when it is too cold to keep a door open) to do a proper comparison.

                                    john
                                  • arthur2shedsj
                                    Message 17 of 27 , Apr 6 12:25 PM
                                      > I purchased a quart of resin from bucktown last summer through their website (back when you could get a quart of UV resin). I had no problem with the transaction and even had a short email exchange prior to purchasing (I wanted a quart of their visible, but they were only offering it by the gallon and that was too much for me to take a chance on). I've mentioned this purchase previously, warning that I found the "low odor" product to be quite strong. I also have a quart of B9 resin, but got too busy at work (and frankly can't use the bucktown when it is too cold to keep a door open) to do a proper comparison.
                                      >
                                      > john

                                      The BP formulas available last year were geared around low cost and cured characteristics, but they proved to be too difficult for DIYers to work with. All the new formulas on the website cure 10x faster, are lower viscosity, low or no odor, plus cure over the UV to visible spectrum. DIY is mostly concerned with low cost, low odor and easy to use. Industrial users are as concerned with odor as they are with its flavor.

                                      The BP website makes it easy for DIYers to place orders using Paypal without having to have contact with any sales people or chemists, since the majority of DIY buyers don't actually like or are too shy to have contact with anyone via email and especially by phone.

                                      I'm not sure what all the hubbub is about since the photopolymer industry is nearly 100% B2B. DIY hardly shows up on the radar, yet they still provide resins at low cost in low volumes to DIYers.
                                      Message 18 of 27 , Apr 6 12:46 PM

                                        On Sat, Apr 6, 2013 at 8:25 PM, arthur2shedsj <arthur2shedsj@...> wrote:

                                        I'm not sure what all the hubbub is about since the photopolymer industry is nearly 100% B2B. DIY hardly shows up on the radar, yet they still provide resins at low cost in low volumes to DIYers.

                                        And who are THEY? They are not actually a business it seems.

                                        As for the comments about DIYers being too shy to use email or phone, that has not been my experience in any way.