printing problem, anyone knows how to solve it?

  • henrypjs
    Message 1 of 8 , Mar 19, 2013
      hi guys,

      Please see the photo in my album:

      the 0-1, 0-2 and 0-3

      I found some layer overspreaded in my printing, especially when the pigment was less than 1% , does that mean the light leaks out of the model boundary? This effect is more obvious when I use dyes.Is this effect common? Any clue to solve it?

      Thanks in advance!

      Henry
    • richkang78
      Message 2 of 8 , Mar 21, 2013
        Hi,

        What type of resin/PI are you using? What is your pigment?

        Rich
        --- In diy_3d_printing_and_fabrication@yahoogroups.com, "henrypjs" <henrypjs@...> wrote:

        > hi guys,
        >
        > Please see the photo in my album:
        >
        > the 0-1, 0-2 and 0-3
        >
        > I found some layer overspreaded in my printing, especially when the pigment was less than 1% , does that mean the light leaks out of the model boundary? This effect is more obvious when I use dyes.Is this effect common? Any clue to solve it?
        >
        > Thanks in advance!
        >

        > Henry

      • arthur2shedsj
        Message 3 of 8 , Mar 21, 2013
          Purchase premixed resin :)

          --- In diy_3d_printing_and_fabrication@yahoogroups.com, "henrypjs" <henrypjs@...> wrote:

          > hi guys,
          >
          > Please see the photo in my album:
          >
          > the 0-1, 0-2 and 0-3
          >
          > I found some layer overspreaded in my printing, especially when the pigment was less than 1% , does that mean the light leaks out of the model boundary? This effect is more obvious when I use dyes.Is this effect common? Any clue to solve it?
          >
          > Thanks in advance!
          >

          > Henry

        • henrypjs
          Message 4 of 8 , Mar 21, 2013
            hi Rich,

            I am using spotamaterial resin and pigment, I think the resin is good, the problem is not enough pigment. I will have more tests these days.

            Henry

            --- In diy_3d_printing_and_fabrication@yahoogroups.com, "richkang78" <richkang78@...> wrote:

            > Hi,
            >
            > What type of resin/PI are you using? What is your pigment?
            >
            > Rich
            > --- In diy_3d_printing_and_fabrication@yahoogroups.com, "henrypjs" <henrypjs@> wrote:
            > >
            > > hi guys,
            > >
            > > Please see the photo in my album:
            > >
            > > the 0-1, 0-2 and 0-3
            > >
            > > I found some layer overspreaded in my printing, especially when the pigment was less than 1% , does that mean the light leaks out of the model boundary? This effect is more obvious when I use dyes.Is this effect common? Any clue to solve it?
            > >
            > > Thanks in advance!
            > >

            > > Henry

          • kurt landin
            Message 5 of 8 , Mar 21, 2013
              Is your projector emitting any light in the off phase?

              Most projectors even when a black screen is shown still emit radiation.
              This radiation still slowly cures the resin in your vat. once enough radiation has been emitted a slowly cured built up layer of resin is formed. it often hitches a ride on the a cured layer, taking this extra cured material with it.

              This leads to periodic layers of this extra cured resin attaching itself to your model during the build process.

              This layer can also just build up on your vat surface which can prevent even distribution of resin flowing back in. It can also damage the sylgard vat coating.

              Solution is to completely turn off light source during blank phase-
              you can do this electronically or use a stepper and a shutter device.
              I believe 3dlprint uses this device. or you can cure quicker and hope that cured material does not accumulate. or you can use a recoater blade that wipes the vat floor before each layer is made.
              Message 6 of 8 , Mar 22, 2013
                Straight from the source...:

                I use a shutter device when the projector is not printing a job. it is called a "Postal Envelope" It is from a leading manufacturer of high quality shutters that are lined on the inside with bubble wrap.

                ROTFLMAO

                Could not resist.

                Peter

                Message 7 of 8 , Mar 22, 2013
                  Thanks Kurt,Peter and Arthur! your suggestion is very useful, I will try to have a shutter work on my printer, and have more tests these days, and upload the new result.

                  Henry

                  --- In diy_3d_printing_and_fabrication@yahoogroups.com, kurt landin <kurt_landin@...> wrote:

                  > Is your projector emitting any light in the off phase?
                  >
                  > Most projectors even when a black screen is shown still emit radiation.
                  > This radiation still slowly cures the resin in your vat. once enough radiation has been emitted a slowly cured built up layer of resin is formed. it often hitches a ride on the a cured layer, taking this extra cured material with it.
                  >
                  > This leads to periodic layers of this extra cured resin attaching itself to your model during the build process.�
                  >
                  > This layer can also just build up on your vat surface which can prevent even distribution of resin flowing back in. It can also damage the sylgard vat coating.
                  >
                  > Solution is to completely turn off light source during blank phase-
                  > you can do this electronically or use a stepper and a shutter device.
                  > I believe 3dlprint uses this device. or you can cure quicker and hope that cured material does not accumulate. or you can use a recoater blade that wipes the vat floor before each layer is made.

                • Fernando Muñiz
                  Message 8 of 8 , Mar 25, 2013
                    Hello Henry,

                    As mentioned in th eFAQ (http://spotamaterials.com/?faq-topic=colors), dyes are less efficient at absorbing the critical wavelengths than opaque pigment. This is why the concentration you will need to aim for is always higher than the one of a same color pigment.
                    It also depends on the projector you use and the contrast ratio between black and white areas. The higher the contrast ratio of your DLP, the neater the details.

                    Cheers!
                    Fernando