LAMP - DLP on a CNC gantry

  • cygnusgil
    Message 1 of 14 , Mar 12, 2013
      These guys at georgia tech: http://www.gatech.edu/newsroom/release.html?nid=131491 have developed a "new" technology called LAMP = Large Area Maskless Photopolymerization

      Here's another article on it: http://pmpaspeakingofprecision.com/tag/large-area-maskless-photopolymerization-lamp/

      Essentially they stuck a DLP chip on a CNC gantry and they use a ceramic photosensitive resin to directly produce large molds.

      Has anybody tried something like this around here?

      Does anybody know where we can get that ceramic photosensitive resin?
    • arthur2shedsj
      Message 2 of 14 , Mar 12, 2013
        --- In diy_3d_printing_and_fabrication@yahoogroups.com, "cygnusgil" <cygnusgil@...> wrote:

        > Does anybody know where we can get that ceramic photosensitive resin?

        http://bucktownpolymers.com send them your specs, they blend just about anything.
      • Fernando Muñiz
        Message 3 of 14 , Mar 12, 2013
          We have started a ceramics resins line at Spotamaterials.
          There's really amazing stuff you can do with that and those printers you linked to just extend the possibilities even further.

          On 03/12/2013 09:25 PM, arthur2shedsj wrote:

          --- In diy_3d_printing_and_fabrication@yahoogroups.com, "cygnusgil" <cygnusgil@...> wrote:

          > Does anybody know where we can get that ceramic photosensitive resin?

          http://bucktownpolymers.com send them your specs, they blend just about anything.

        • Ben Mahony

            Message 5 of 14 , Mar 12, 2013
              Araldite Digitalis
              http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7a637miqNpU

              The same could be done with a DLP synced to scanning motion just like an inkjet printhead.

              --- In diy_3d_printing_and_fabrication@yahoogroups.com, Ben Mahony <ben.mahony@...> wrote:

              > I have not had a chance to checkout the link yet but wouldn't multiple dlp
              > projectors make more sense, maintains resolution AND SPEED. I guess it
              > depend on how big you want to go but for the cost of a precision gantry
              > system you could purchase a few more off the shelf projectors. If you have
              > a gantry you could go to a line array of indervidual light sources. Ie
              > printers don't have 2d heads they have 1d heads and use the movement of the
              > head to get 2d. To get the resolution we need the light sources don't need
              > to be adjacent, in a simple line, the can be staggered or the line can be
              > at an angle, then through software fire them at the right time. You don't
              > need 2d dlp and it would make it a more continues movement, like a full
              > width inkjet head. Just thinking out loud. ..
            • Benjamin Mahony
              Message 6 of 14 , Mar 12, 2013
                Yeah good idea, continues motion but with the image sliding along the dlp output, so the head can keep moving not stop start, Sounds good.

                Message 7 of 14 , Mar 13, 2013
                  Photopolymers may also be made fast and sensitive enough to work with a scanning OLED. These aren't your typical TV or phone OLED's. They are fabricated to match the photopolymers. DIYers could go this route with photopolymers that match the Blue ~470nm output once the displays become more commonplace.

                  Message 8 of 14 , Mar 13, 2013
                    Any links?

                    For low res stuff you could almost imagine an array of 0402 SMT LEDs with a strip lens array as seen in some scanners

                    Graham

                    Message 9 of 14 , Mar 14, 2013
                      I recall that we discussed putting the DLP on a linear and exposing resin much like an objet or a inkjet printer.

                      Cheeers!
                      Peter

                      Message 10 of 14 , Mar 14, 2013
                        I don't think this is exactly what you were meaning but what you say gives me an idea. The Objet heads jet droplets of resin on to the previous layers selectively and then it cures them in bulk. What if we applied the resin in bulk but cured selectively.

                        Use a resin coated roller to apply the resin to the previous layers, its rotation would be powered and synchronised with the linear motion of the coating gantry so not to apply force to fine structures.

                        If you can make it work it solves a lot of problems and indeed you could always put the roller on the same gantry as the projector if you wanted to do large format stuff much like you suggest so it coats ahead of the cure.

                        Half expect this to have been done, if not perhaps I should of kept my mouth shut :) Nah too many patents screwing up things already.

                        Cheers,

                        Graham

                        Message 11 of 14 , Mar 14, 2013
                          That's what I was thinking. Jet/spray/spread the resin everywhere and move the Projector and project a video of whatever needs curing. kind of like ticker tape billboards, but in the frame of the area of the DLP and synchronized with the linear movement of the projector.

                          If we as individuals have given any crap about any patent - we would not be here. There is a patent for a foil based selective deposition of resin.If history would have it we would still be paying royalties to Ma Bell as some people would still have a patent on a device for electric telegraphy and the internet speed will still be the same as a telegraph's.

                          Cheers!
                          Peter

                          Message 12 of 14 , Mar 14, 2013
                            On Thu, Mar 14, 2013 at 6:36 PM, pzamov <pzamov@...> wrote:

                            That's what I was thinking. Jet/spray/spread the resin everywhere and move the Projector and project a video of whatever needs curing. kind of like ticker tape billboards, but in the frame of the area of the DLP and synchronized with the linear movement of the projector.

                            I'm not sure about the video part given the cure times it would be move and project or you end up just using one line of the array. To be honest the wide format aspect is less interesting than the release problem avoidance.

                            Graham
                          • Michael Joyce
                            Message 13 of 14 , Mar 14, 2013
                              One of our members came up with this great idea to post cure his 3d printed resin parts.

                              Parts can be sourced easily for under $60 on amazon.com (probably even cheaper in other places)
                              http://b9creator.com/support/?mingleforumaction=viewtopic&t=240.0#postid-3535

                              Thought it was so cool and wanted to pass it on, the $5 solar powered turntable is genius!

                              I think you could probably sit the turntable on the desktop and invert the  box over it to keep the UV light contained.

                              (Compare with $500 post cure device , https://www.asiga.com/store/item/03-01-00-00 )