Re: Advice on type of projector..

  • luis h
    Message 1 of 15 , Mar 9, 2013
      How big is the lenses are you using?. Can you get smaller image let say 1" x .75" with an external lense?. is that a concave lense correct?

      Luis

      --- In diy_3d_printing_and_fabrication@yahoogroups.com, Light77 <light77@...> wrote:

      > This one has worked out really well for me:
      > Acer X1261P
      > 1024x768
      > 2700 lumen
      > $350 - $380
      > With a external 100mm 4x lens you don't need to modify the projector to
      > reduce it to a 3in x 4in print area.
      >
      > You can see some of the prints here:
      > http://www.thingiverse.com/Sedgwick/made/
      >

      > On Thu, Mar 7, 2013 at 11:21 PM, Pan <henrypjs@...> wrote:
      >
      > > **
      > >

      > > I am using a second hand infoucus 26+ native 1024*768 . 35 cm focus
      > > distance, and I am using a close up lens make it less than 20cm , no
      > > distortion, 200w bulb. Works quite well. But no serial port.
      > >
      > > Henry
      > >
      > > Sent from my iPhone
      > >
      > > On 7 Mar 2013, at 22:19, "luis h" <luisguillermo98@...> wrote:
      > >

      > > I am buying the Projector for my first prototype. Any recommendation for a
      > > good projector?. I am between dell or infocus. These are the features I am
      > > looking for:
      > >
      > > low price possible.
      > > Easy to modify on the lens to focus close distance.
      > > Longer life on the lamp.
      > > 2500 lumens or more.
      > > 1024 x 780 native reso or more
      > > manual zoom/focus
      > >
      > > Appreciate any advice..
      > >
      > > Luis..

    • arthur2shedsj
      Message 2 of 15 , Mar 10, 2013
        You can get a smaller image but what you'll need will depend on your projector. The DMD is not much smaller than your desired final image size. I'd just replace the current lens with a convex lens of the appropriate diameter and focal length to get that small an image vs adding a convex lens in front of the current lens. Figuring the diameter is pretty easy since it's slightly larger than the DMD size. You'll just need to figure the focal length by comparing it to what is in the projector now.

        --- In diy_3d_printing_and_fabrication@yahoogroups.com, "luis h" <luisguillermo98@...> wrote:

        > How big is the lenses are you using?. Can you get smaller image let say 1" x .75" with an external lense?. is that a concave lense correct?
        >
        > Luis
      • arthur2shedsj
        Message 3 of 15 , Mar 10, 2013
          It might be way in in the archives but here is how to figure magnification and focal length.

          http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnification#Calculating_the_magnification_of_optical_systems

          http://www.physicsclassroom.com/class/refrn/u14l5f.cfm

          http://www.edmundoptics.com/learning-and-support/technical/learning-center/eo-tech-tools/index.cfm?techtoolid=3

          Message 4 of 15 , Mar 10, 2013
            You may find using a single lens on its own leads to blurring at the edges of the image.

            Graham

            On Sun, Mar 10, 2013 at 4:33 PM, arthur2shedsj <arthur2shedsj@...> wrote:

            It might be way in in the archives but here is how to figure magnification and focal length.

            http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnification#Calculating_the_magnification_of_optical_systems

            http://www.physicsclassroom.com/class/refrn/u14l5f.cfm

            http://www.edmundoptics.com/learning-and-support/technical/learning-center/eo-tech-tools/index.cfm?techtoolid=3

            --- In diy_3d_printing_and_fabrication@yahoogroups.com, "luis h" <luisguillermo98@...> wrote:

            > How big is the lenses are you using?. Can you get smaller image let say 1" x .75" with an external lense?. is that a concave lense correct?
            >
            > Luis

          • luis h
            Message 5 of 15 , Mar 10, 2013
              Arthur,
              I thought the dmd was .5" for SVGA and .7" for XVGA. So if I understand correctly, you replace the current lens of the pro and also add one in front correct?.

              Luis

              --- In diy_3d_printing_and_fabrication@yahoogroups.com, "arthur2shedsj" <arthur2shedsj@...> wrote:

              > You can get a smaller image but what you'll need will depend on your projector. The DMD is not much smaller than your desired final image size. I'd just replace the current lens with a convex lens of the appropriate diameter and focal length to get that small an image vs adding a convex lens in front of the current lens. Figuring the diameter is pretty easy since it's slightly larger than the DMD size. You'll just need to figure the focal length by comparing it to what is in the projector now.
              >
              > --- In diy_3d_printing_and_fabrication@yahoogroups.com, "luis h" <luisguillermo98@> wrote:
              > >
              > > How big is the lenses are you using?. Can you get smaller image let say 1" x .75" with an external lense?. is that a concave lense correct?
              > >
              > > Luis

            • luis h
              Message 6 of 15 , Mar 10, 2013
                That is correct, I think I should use only the lens that comes with the pro and move to the front to get a smaller image.

                Luis..

                --- In diy_3d_printing_and_fabrication@yahoogroups.com, Graham Stabler <grezmos@...> wrote:

                > You may find using a single lens on its own leads to blurring at the edges
                > of the image.
                >
                > Graham
                >

                > On Sun, Mar 10, 2013 at 4:33 PM, arthur2shedsj <arthur2shedsj@...>wrote:
                >
                > > **
                > >

                > > It might be way in in the archives but here is how to figure magnification
                > > and focal length.
                > >

                > > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnification#Calculating_the_magnification_of_optical_systems
                > >
                > > http://www.physicsclassroom.com/class/refrn/u14l5f.cfm
                > >

                > > http://www.edmundoptics.com/learning-and-support/technical/learning-center/eo-tech-tools/index.cfm?techtoolid=3
                > >

                > > --- In diy_3d_printing_and_fabrication@yahoogroups.com, "luis h"
                > > <luisguillermo98@> wrote:
                > > >
                > > > How big is the lenses are you using?. Can you get smaller image let say
                > > 1" x .75" with an external lense?. is that a concave lense correct?
                > > >
                > > > Luis

              • luis h
                Message 7 of 15 , Mar 10, 2013
                  So how the b9 printer offer 3 small foot print resolution just by moving the projector down-up? I do not see any lenses in font of it. It is probably the vivitech projector that allow this?.

                  Message 8 of 15 , Mar 10, 2013
                    That's not what I was saying. I was saying that although you could probably get an image using a single lens (a single element) you do not get very good optical performance.

                    Graham

                    Message 9 of 15 , Mar 10, 2013
                      Amy projector can produce images of different sizes by moving the projector before refocusing. The b9 extends its range to allow for a smaller image by adding a spacer moving the lens further away from the DLP.

                      The issue here was to create an image smaller than what the stock optics could produce, no?

                      Graham