Re: [diy_3d_printing_and_fabrication] Advice on type of projector..

  • Light77
    Message 1 of 15 , Mar 7 11:11 PM
      This one has worked out really well for me:
      Acer X1261P
      1024x768
      2700 lumen
      $350 - $380
      With a external 100mm 4x lens you don't need to modify the projector to reduce it to a 3in x 4in print area.

      You can see some of the prints here: http://www.thingiverse.com/Sedgwick/made/

      On Thu, Mar 7, 2013 at 11:21 PM, Pan <henrypjs@...> wrote:

      I am using a second hand infoucus 26+ native 1024*768 .  35 cm focus distance, and I am using a close up lens make it less than 20cm ,  no distortion, 200w bulb.  Works quite well.  But no serial port.

      Henry

      Sent from my iPhone

      On 7 Mar 2013, at 22:19, "luis h" <luisguillermo98@...> wrote:

      I am buying the Projector for my first prototype. Any recommendation for a good projector?. I am between dell or infocus. These are the features I am looking for:

      low price possible.
      Easy to modify on the lens to focus close distance.
      Longer life on the lamp.
      2500 lumens or more.
      1024 x 780 native reso or more
      manual zoom/focus

      Appreciate any advice..

      Luis..

    • luis h
      Message 2 of 15 , Mar 8 10:27 AM
        Mike,
        I notice you used the vivitek but little bit pricey.

        Luis..

        --- In diy_3d_printing_and_fabrication@yahoogroups.com, Michael Joyce <MikeJ@...> wrote:

        > I'm having good results with the Vivitek D535 on the B9Creator.
        >
        > 220 watt bulb (more important measure of output than manufacturer's
        > lumen estimate).
        > Adding 3.2 mm spacer to extend the lens assembly will allow for focus in
        > the 50-100 micron range.
        > Dust gasket available from "Chooch" on the B9Creator Support forums.
        > Guide to modification here:
        > http://b9creator.com/downloads/DustGasketInstructions.pdf
        > Best,
        > MikeJ
        >

        > On 3/7/2013 3:19 PM, luis h wrote:
        > > I am buying the Projector for my first prototype. Any recommendation for a good projector?. I am between dell or infocus. These are the features I am looking for:
        > >
        > > low price possible.
        > > Easy to modify on the lens to focus close distance.
        > > Longer life on the lamp.
        > > 2500 lumens or more.
        > > 1024 x 780 native reso or more
        > > manual zoom/focus
        > >
        > > Appreciate any advice..
        > >
        > > Luis..

        > --
        > "Measure Twice, Cut Once"
        > http://www.B9Creations.com

      • luis h
        Message 3 of 15 , Mar 8 10:39 AM
          Looks like what I am looking for. Some resellers advertise it to be 3500 lumens is that correct?. Where did you get the lens? and how fast you can cure the spot resin?

          Thank you for the help..

          Luis

          --- In diy_3d_printing_and_fabrication@yahoogroups.com, Light77 <light77@...> wrote:

          > This one has worked out really well for me:
          > Acer X1261P
          > 1024x768
          > 2700 lumen
          > $350 - $380
          > With a external 100mm 4x lens you don't need to modify the projector to
          > reduce it to a 3in x 4in print area.
          >
          > You can see some of the prints here:
          > http://www.thingiverse.com/Sedgwick/made/
          >

          > On Thu, Mar 7, 2013 at 11:21 PM, Pan <henrypjs@...> wrote:
          >
          > > **
          > >

          > > I am using a second hand infoucus 26+ native 1024*768 . 35 cm focus
          > > distance, and I am using a close up lens make it less than 20cm , no
          > > distortion, 200w bulb. Works quite well. But no serial port.
          > >
          > > Henry
          > >
          > > Sent from my iPhone
          > >
          > > On 7 Mar 2013, at 22:19, "luis h" <luisguillermo98@...> wrote:
          > >

          > > I am buying the Projector for my first prototype. Any recommendation for a
          > > good projector?. I am between dell or infocus. These are the features I am
          > > looking for:
          > >
          > > low price possible.
          > > Easy to modify on the lens to focus close distance.
          > > Longer life on the lamp.
          > > 2500 lumens or more.
          > > 1024 x 780 native reso or more
          > > manual zoom/focus
          > >
          > > Appreciate any advice..
          > >
          > > Luis..

        • luis h
          Message 4 of 15 , Mar 9 7:52 PM
            How big is the lenses are you using?. Can you get smaller image let say 1" x .75" with an external lense?. is that a concave lense correct?

            Luis

            --- In diy_3d_printing_and_fabrication@yahoogroups.com, Light77 <light77@...> wrote:

            > This one has worked out really well for me:
            > Acer X1261P
            > 1024x768
            > 2700 lumen
            > $350 - $380
            > With a external 100mm 4x lens you don't need to modify the projector to
            > reduce it to a 3in x 4in print area.
            >
            > You can see some of the prints here:
            > http://www.thingiverse.com/Sedgwick/made/
            >

            > On Thu, Mar 7, 2013 at 11:21 PM, Pan <henrypjs@...> wrote:
            >
            > > **
            > >

            > > I am using a second hand infoucus 26+ native 1024*768 . 35 cm focus
            > > distance, and I am using a close up lens make it less than 20cm , no
            > > distortion, 200w bulb. Works quite well. But no serial port.
            > >
            > > Henry
            > >
            > > Sent from my iPhone
            > >
            > > On 7 Mar 2013, at 22:19, "luis h" <luisguillermo98@...> wrote:
            > >

            > > I am buying the Projector for my first prototype. Any recommendation for a
            > > good projector?. I am between dell or infocus. These are the features I am
            > > looking for:
            > >
            > > low price possible.
            > > Easy to modify on the lens to focus close distance.
            > > Longer life on the lamp.
            > > 2500 lumens or more.
            > > 1024 x 780 native reso or more
            > > manual zoom/focus
            > >
            > > Appreciate any advice..
            > >
            > > Luis..

          • arthur2shedsj
            Message 5 of 15 , Mar 10 9:05 AM
              You can get a smaller image but what you'll need will depend on your projector. The DMD is not much smaller than your desired final image size. I'd just replace the current lens with a convex lens of the appropriate diameter and focal length to get that small an image vs adding a convex lens in front of the current lens. Figuring the diameter is pretty easy since it's slightly larger than the DMD size. You'll just need to figure the focal length by comparing it to what is in the projector now.

              --- In diy_3d_printing_and_fabrication@yahoogroups.com, "luis h" <luisguillermo98@...> wrote:

              > How big is the lenses are you using?. Can you get smaller image let say 1" x .75" with an external lense?. is that a concave lense correct?
              >
              > Luis
            • arthur2shedsj
              Message 6 of 15 , Mar 10 9:33 AM
                It might be way in in the archives but here is how to figure magnification and focal length.

                http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnification#Calculating_the_magnification_of_optical_systems

                http://www.physicsclassroom.com/class/refrn/u14l5f.cfm

                http://www.edmundoptics.com/learning-and-support/technical/learning-center/eo-tech-tools/index.cfm?techtoolid=3

                Message 7 of 15 , Mar 10 10:17 AM
                  You may find using a single lens on its own leads to blurring at the edges of the image.

                  Graham

                  On Sun, Mar 10, 2013 at 4:33 PM, arthur2shedsj <arthur2shedsj@...> wrote:

                  It might be way in in the archives but here is how to figure magnification and focal length.

                  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnification#Calculating_the_magnification_of_optical_systems

                  http://www.physicsclassroom.com/class/refrn/u14l5f.cfm

                  http://www.edmundoptics.com/learning-and-support/technical/learning-center/eo-tech-tools/index.cfm?techtoolid=3

                  --- In diy_3d_printing_and_fabrication@yahoogroups.com, "luis h" <luisguillermo98@...> wrote:

                  > How big is the lenses are you using?. Can you get smaller image let say 1" x .75" with an external lense?. is that a concave lense correct?
                  >
                  > Luis

                • luis h
                  Message 8 of 15 , Mar 10 12:21 PM
                    Arthur,
                    I thought the dmd was .5" for SVGA and .7" for XVGA. So if I understand correctly, you replace the current lens of the pro and also add one in front correct?.

                    Luis

                    --- In diy_3d_printing_and_fabrication@yahoogroups.com, "arthur2shedsj" <arthur2shedsj@...> wrote:

                    > You can get a smaller image but what you'll need will depend on your projector. The DMD is not much smaller than your desired final image size. I'd just replace the current lens with a convex lens of the appropriate diameter and focal length to get that small an image vs adding a convex lens in front of the current lens. Figuring the diameter is pretty easy since it's slightly larger than the DMD size. You'll just need to figure the focal length by comparing it to what is in the projector now.
                    >
                    > --- In diy_3d_printing_and_fabrication@yahoogroups.com, "luis h" <luisguillermo98@> wrote:
                    > >
                    > > How big is the lenses are you using?. Can you get smaller image let say 1" x .75" with an external lense?. is that a concave lense correct?
                    > >
                    > > Luis

                  • luis h
                    Message 9 of 15 , Mar 10 12:28 PM
                      That is correct, I think I should use only the lens that comes with the pro and move to the front to get a smaller image.

                      Luis..

                      --- In diy_3d_printing_and_fabrication@yahoogroups.com, Graham Stabler <grezmos@...> wrote:

                      > You may find using a single lens on its own leads to blurring at the edges
                      > of the image.
                      >
                      > Graham
                      >

                      > On Sun, Mar 10, 2013 at 4:33 PM, arthur2shedsj <arthur2shedsj@...>wrote:
                      >
                      > > **
                      > >

                      > > It might be way in in the archives but here is how to figure magnification
                      > > and focal length.
                      > >

                      > > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnification#Calculating_the_magnification_of_optical_systems
                      > >
                      > > http://www.physicsclassroom.com/class/refrn/u14l5f.cfm
                      > >

                      > > http://www.edmundoptics.com/learning-and-support/technical/learning-center/eo-tech-tools/index.cfm?techtoolid=3
                      > >

                      > > --- In diy_3d_printing_and_fabrication@yahoogroups.com, "luis h"
                      > > <luisguillermo98@> wrote:
                      > > >
                      > > > How big is the lenses are you using?. Can you get smaller image let say
                      > > 1" x .75" with an external lense?. is that a concave lense correct?
                      > > >
                      > > > Luis

                    • luis h
                      Message 10 of 15 , Mar 10 12:30 PM
                        So how the b9 printer offer 3 small foot print resolution just by moving the projector down-up? I do not see any lenses in font of it. It is probably the vivitech projector that allow this?.

                        Message 11 of 15 , Mar 10 12:31 PM
                          That's not what I was saying. I was saying that although you could probably get an image using a single lens (a single element) you do not get very good optical performance.

                          Graham

                          Message 12 of 15 , Mar 10 12:36 PM
                            Amy projector can produce images of different sizes by moving the projector before refocusing. The b9 extends its range to allow for a smaller image by adding a spacer moving the lens further away from the DLP.

                            The issue here was to create an image smaller than what the stock optics could produce, no?

                            Graham